What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

zif's illuminated flowers

zif

Veteran
In between runs right now. Currently growing up grafted multi-moms of:

OregonCBD/Grow the Revolution NOX Cookies (Triploid) w/ 7 females

Chimera's Hightest Kush x Sweet Skunk w/ 6 females

Chimera's Schnazzleberry #3 w/ 3 females

OJD's Strawberry N' Mango w/ 2 females

Canna Research Co's Berry Pellezino w/8 regs (planning to go straight to an OP F2 with this to recover the fern-leaf types, as its an F1 with the berryfreak line.)

Once they're well established I'm going figure out what to flower and/or how to backup everything to keep the numbers reasonable.

zif

Veteran
The first NOX Cookies I grew produced flower that was really nice... for just about ten days after the initial cure. Had an extremely good, not-quite-menthol (but in that vein) cooling flavor, layered over a minty, kushy base. Relaxing, euphoric effect, and strong enough. But that cooling note just did not last in the jar. I might try freezing her, or making an extract immediately, to capture that before it goes this next round (she's one of the seven, definitely good enough for another shot).

zif

Veteran
The NOX Cookies mom.
nox_a_v95.jpeg

Graft '0' here is the one I've flowered before, just starting to grow after getting established as a scion.
nox_b_v95.jpeg

zif

Veteran
Grafting never ceases to amaze me.

Whats the recovery time generally?
That’s the most amazing part to me.

A good graft shows itself in a couple of days (by not wilting), and then can be growing again in about five days.

It’s rare for a graft to linger two weeks without kicking into gear, although it can happen.

But, usually they take 9-10 days to get back to normal growth.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
very nice work with the graftings
do you use anything to cover the wounded area, like we do with the trees to prevent infections? or only positioning the parts and fix them

Reactions: zif

zif

Veteran
very nice work with the graftings
do you use anything to cover the wounded area, like we do with the trees to prevent infections? or only positioning the parts and fix them
The tape that holds the graft in place provides some protection, I’m sure, but that’s it.

It’s so much faster than grafting in woody species - there’s not much opportunity for infection.

Redrum92

Always wanted to learn how to graft. Have to keep my plant counts low. Maybe this is good inspiration/information to get me going. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: zif

zif

Veteran
Always wanted to learn how to graft. Have to keep my plant counts low. Maybe this is good inspiration/information to get me going. Thanks!
Until regulators / legislators start to realize that canopy area is the more reasonable metric even for home grows, those of us who like a little variety but are subject to counts are very well served by grafting!

It’s great - easy with a little practice. Don’t give up if you murder more than a few scions along the way. Pay attention to what works in your setup and you’ll soon find almost every graft succeeds. 🙂

zif

Veteran
make it fast, and use sterile razorblade or scalpel.

@zif did you find out which works well ?

sativa for root donor or indica or hybrid ?
I haven't found too much difference due to rootstock, honestly.

I do make more plants from a single pack/type than completely mixed ones, though, at least for flowering.

It's easier/more efficient to have the whole thing come in more or less at once. Holding the space for a whole plant with just a few really long running buds left on it from a very sativa scion can feel like a bit of a waste!

Last edited:

zif

Veteran
Doing a little trimming today and found this neat leaf on the Hightest Kush x Sweet Skunk.
ht_ss_neat_leaf_front.jpeg
ht_ss_neat_leaf_back.jpeg

It reminds me of fasciation, but of the leaf petiole. And maybe a little more controlled. Just, like, the plant tried to form two leaves here and couldn't quite pull it off. There's even a slight seam down the petiole.

It would have been so easy to miss. Made me wonder how often little oddities like this sneak by under my radar....

zif

Veteran
Doing a little trimming today and found this neat leaf on the Hightest Kush x Sweet Skunk. View attachment 18967677 View attachment 18967678
It reminds me of fasciation, but of the leaf petiole. And maybe a little more controlled. Just, like, the plant tried to form two leaves here and couldn't quite pull it off. There's even a slight seam down the petiole.

It would have been so easy to miss. Made me wonder how often little oddities like this sneak by under my radar....
Update - that plant is fasciated. The most vigorous of her sisters, too.

Latest posts

Latest posts