What's new

YOUR GARDEN IS NOT ORGANIC...

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Bought some worm castings today from "Wiser worm" farm for my organic garden....maybe someone knows something about these guys...MM? Speaking of urea...nice batch of tea brewing......for my organic garden. Man..I never have to touch a ph meter......for my organic garden. Almost unbelievable if I wasn't seeing it for myself. All my friends.....they love my.........organic garden.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Bought some worm castings today from "Wiser worm" farm for my organic garden....maybe someone knows something about these guys...MM? Speaking of urea...nice batch of tea brewing......for my organic garden. Man..I never have to touch a ph meter......for my organic garden. Almost unbelievable if I wasn't seeing it for myself. All my friends.....they love my.........organic garden.
Capt.Cheeze1

I think that Yelms Earthworm Farms castings and potting soils are worthy of consideration.

Worth sourcing, IMHO

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Capt.Cheeze1

I think that Yelms Earthworm Farms castings and potting soils are worthy of consideration.

Worth sourcing, IMHO

CC
I know.....I just can't get the time to get that way...........need to pick up a bunch of worms as well.
Tuned in some guy at the new hyrdo-store today.
Trying to get him to carry the few products I actually need.
I think he's open to whatever anyone can tune him into. ....as far as EWC,kelp,teas,etc.....for you local guys,here's an opportunity to get something local going with a cat who's open to suppliying what things organic nut jobs need.

NUG-JUG

You're confusing synthetic with "inferior" and equating organic with "superior". Sure, there may be strong correlations involved, but they're not absolutes. It's this absolutism that has so many pure organics people on the wrong path (in my humble yet outspoken opinion).

Damn right I am! If they're the same then why does the chemmy hydro huff taste like boo boo, and organic smoke makes my mouth water with delight?

Microbeman thanks for that explanation! Everything is much clearer now. The soil-life system is completely disrupted by the adding of synthetic nutrients.

NUG-JUG

I know.....I just can't get the time to get that way...........need to pick up a bunch of worms as well.
Tuned in some guy at the new hyrdo-store today.
Trying to get him to carry the few products I actually need.
I think he's open to whatever anyone can tune him into. ....as far as EWC,kelp,teas,etc.....for you local guys,here's an opportunity to get something local going with a cat who's open to suppliying what things organic nut jobs need.

Hey I do the same the around here! Some hydro store owner even ordered a "micro-bulator" 5 gal. compost tea brewer that he tried to pawn off on me. I'm trying to get one place to order mass amounts of glacial rock dust. I said I'd personally buy 500lbs. if they did lol.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Damn right I am! If they're the same then why does the chemmy hydro huff taste like boo boo, and organic smoke makes my mouth water with delight?

Microbeman thanks for that explanation! Everything is much clearer now. The soil-life system is completely disrupted by the adding of synthetic nutrients.
I rather use seed meals as a source of nitrogen over blood meal (BSE concerns).

Blood meal is 'approved for organics' by OMRI and but few other 'real certification' agencies like CCOF, et al. do approve blood meal for use. Same with bone meal, et al.

All soil amendments 'approved for organics' aren't the same and aren't viewed the same by professional organic farmers/growers.

Just a thought.

CC

NUG-JUG

CC- veddy veddy interesting! If the blood\bone meal is from a horrible place (think factory floor) then it could have bad things in it? I use minimal blood meal (2\3 cup for a around 5 cu ft.) I get most of my N from alfalfa, kelp, blended flaxseed, and guanos. Although I use a ton of bone meal.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I rather use seed meals as a source of nitrogen over blood meal (BSE concerns).

Blood meal is 'approved for organics' by OMRI and but few other 'real certification' agencies like CCOF, et al. do approve blood meal for use. Same with bone meal, et al.

All soil amendments 'approved for organics' aren't the same and aren't viewed the same by professional organic farmers/growers.

Just a thought.

CC
The Blood and Beasts thing again.............just nasty. I use fish and guauno's,I think it tends to get consumed at a more complete level.
I'm unsure of this,but things smell and look healthy or not. It's a living thing and I treat it as such.

Then there's the whole life force energy level involved.........

Slaughtered,Chem fed,injected and hormone pumped beasts for mass consumption that have so much waste(feed stuff's,dog food,plant food,etc.) Not really good for the karma of the whole deal anyway.
This is debateable......I'm just saying.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CC- veddy veddy interesting! If the blood\bone meal is from a horrible place (think factory floor) then it could have bad things in it? I use minimal blood meal (2\3 cup for a around 5 cu ft.) I get most of my N from alfalfa, kelp, blended flaxseed, and guanos. Although I use a ton of bone meal.
NUG-JUG

I use organic fish meal (10-4-0) which is produced using enzymes (hydrolysate) for nitrogen.

For phosphorus I use organic fish bone meal (5-16-0) also produced using enzymes (aka hydrolysate).

The big North American importer for these products is Wilbur-Ellis. The country of origin is Canada - as usual.

HTH

CC

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Wow, you guys have made me realize my organic pimp hand isn't strong enough..... methinks I'll give up and grow some "DRO" ;)

NUG-JUG

Slaughtered,Chem fed,injected and hormone pumped beasts for mass consumption that have so much waste(feed stuff's,dog food,plant food,etc.) Not really good for the karma of the whole deal anyway.
This is debateable......I'm just saying.

Couldn't agree more. Bone meal from fish sounds like a plan. Even though they factory farm those too. Unfortunately I couldn't be farther from an ocean. Got plenty of cow blood scrapins round hrrr tho!!

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Couldn't agree more. Bone meal from fish sounds like a plan. Even though they factory farm those too. Unfortunately I couldn't be farther from an ocean. Got plenty of cow blood scrapins round hrrr tho!!
Scrapins.......I mean that's rough. I eat meat but that's a touch on the freaky side of chonging down a hit as far as the slaughtured beasts trip goes as your head goes.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
GS

Do you think that I should be adding blood meal or bone meal to my grow? You've had a couple of samples of my medicine - I'm curious.

CC

Naaaah man....... you should just be "adding" me to your meds :D :D :D

In all seriousness...... not to shine you on or anything, but the end produce/product is definitely superior

thanks
smiley

T

THC_Decapitator

If you use products like LIQUID KARMA or other bottled nutrients that are not certified so please stop saying your end product is so...

thanks y"all and i hope everyone is having an awesome day!!! :dance013::dance013::dance013::dance013::dance013::dance013::dance013::dance013::dance013:
oh booo whooo, waa waaaa mr bury a fish in a hole and piss on it .
lk is the biz . period

NUG-JUG

I'm the type of person that HAS to know too much....

Bone-, blood- and meat meal production (Fremstilling af ben-, blod- og kødmel)
Denmark
1999-2000
Slaughterhouse waste is usually converted into bone- blood- and meat meal which can be used for animal feed.

Process description

The present data refer to bone, blood and meat meal production in daka. Different production methods are applied in the industry, but some of the main processes are following: 1) by-products from slaughterhouses (bones, heads, intestines, feathers, skins etc.) are transported to the factories in closed containers, 2) the products are minced, 3) the "mincemeat" is coagulated by heating (80-90oC) 4) liquid and solid material is separated by pressing, 5a) the solid fraction is dried (110oC), 6a) the dry product is screened, sterilised (133oC), packed and stored for distribution, 5b) the wet fraction is heated (105oC) and fat is separated, 6b) fat is sterilised (125oC), packed and stored for distribution. The wastewater generated during the process is either treated completely and emitted to recipient or treated to some extent and diverted to further treatment in municipal wastewater treatment plants. Ventilation air is treated in bio-filters. Bone, blood and meat meal from healthy animals has traditionally been used for animal feed. However, use of the products for feed has been banned in EU since 2000 due to fear of BSE and the products are currently incinerated.

The only good part is that it's sterilised..

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
use of the products for feed has been banned in EU since 2000 due to fear of BSE and the products are currently incinerated
NUG-JUG

Therein lies the problem for some organic farmers/growers.

Let's say for sake of discussion that you're growing a specific strawberry variety known for it's intense flavor profile (like the Alpine strawberry) which has little, if any, commercial value as a retail product, i.e. it's basically for selling to the various flavoring agent companies which buy these type of products along with spearmint, peppermint, etc. out of Eastern Oregon.

IF you're selling to a company which does business in Europe you can NOT use blood meal and/or bone meal in your operation. These companies will reject your produce without comment.

So besides health issues in using bovine fertilizers/amendments there is a financial paradigm that has to be considered by some growers.

CC