What's new

YOUR GARDEN IS NOT ORGANIC...

patriofarmer

Grapeman

Here's a little bit of inside information for your amusement.

Pacific Coast Fruit is owned by Emil & Kathleen Nemarnik and their son, David, runs the operation as his parents are pretty old.

Before she was married to Emil Nemarnik, Kathleen Nemarnik was known as Kathleen Spada - the daughter of Ernie Spada who began United Salad and their food-service division, Duck Delivery. Kathleen's brother, Ernie Spada, Jr. (known around the local produce biz as 'E.J.') runs both United Salad as well as the Duck Delivery operation.

Got that so far?

Now the Graziano family has family ties to both the Spada & Nemarnik families through marriage(s). That would include both Graziano Produce as well as Graziano Food Service - seems that there was a family split several years ago between the 2 brothers.

And then there's Gatto Produce - also related to both the Nemarnik & Spada clans.

And then there's Rinella Produce (est. 1908) and everyone is related to the Rinella clan is some way or fashion.

The only non-Italian produce operation in Portland is Apple Produce which is owned by the Najdek family. There's Najdek Produce run by Anton </snerk> which was a bit much for the other 4 brothers so they broke off and formed Apple Produce.

It would make for either a sitcom or even better, a satire piece like the movie about the grape business made back in the 1980's or so. I believed it starred Carol Burnett - pretty sure about that.

CC

Clackamas,

I am a big fan of your stories. There are similiar stories in the east coast markets maybe even more severe. Alot of the people in the business fit somewhat the same description as above. Let's just say the same people who control the ports/docks have an easier way breaking into the business. All really another example of "It's who you know"

One company out of New Jersey Riviera plays the Dead while on hold and that is almost good enough for me. Baldor is an up an comer it seems and Sid Wainer is the King of Manhattan. The rest seem to be in business with one of them in one way or another, just lower on the food chain...literally.

Thanks for the info, if you ever publish a book I am the first in line.

Peace
Patriofarmer.

mad librettist

Veteran
too many prions in dead cats!

Stick with kittens. With a good blender, you have ground bone, blood, amino acids, trace minerals. It's great for culling strays.

dev0n

Also, if you check out any of secondtry's posts, ( a fellow that is highly regarded by some, albeit eccentric and a bit too techie for a lot of folks) you will notice that Dr. Ingham is not the end-all be-all when it comes to soil food web science/ microbial nutrient cycling

Maybe not the be-all and end-all, but certainly the most accessible and arguably the most quotable. Hell, she even wrote the primer on soil biology for the United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service. Kinda like the SFW article but with WAY better pics.

Latest posts

Latest posts