What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know your'e old when....

DickAnubis

Ahh, the VW bug.
I had a 70' square back.
The thing caught fire because the battery was under the seat.

Anyone remember the THING by VW? I think they made them just one year, 72', 73'?
I was walking across country back in the 80's and saw one sitting in a field. I went and asked the fellow if he'd sell it.
$200 bucks. I drove it into Indiana and sold it to a couple of kids heading to Canada and I went on my way on foot.

You know you're old when....
you remember almost buying a Yugo or LeCar.

DA

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
If you ever rode in a Covair....rear engine Detroit version that were a POS in the 60s and are "collectors items" now.

Yep, VW bug here too, complete with the California chrome muffler/header package...made the little engine sound BIG. Varrrrom.

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Ahh, the VW bug.
I had a 70' square back.
The thing caught fire because the battery was under the seat.

Anyone remember the THING by VW? I think they made them just one year, 72', 73'?
I was walking across country back in the 80's and saw one sitting in a field. I went and asked the fellow if he'd sell it.
$200 bucks. I drove it into Indiana and sold it to a couple of kids heading to Canada and I went on my way on foot.
Great VW share

Yes to both DickAnubis .First a friends heater tubes caught fire after he repaired with duct tape.The flames engulfed the bug until it was a crisp. He was a little miffed over it.

I still remember being at a Volvo/Vw dealership laying eyes on the VW/Thing for the first time thinking what an odd looking duck.
My dad informed me that they were cool and we made our way inside it for a looksey:).Well he bought a volvo but the seed was sown with me;)

This is a VW repair manual.But more important its a piece of cannabis culture because its filled with weed use through out.

vw_alive_553.jpg

DickAnubis

Nice manual, PH.
I remember all sorts of add ons, Eclipse.
JC Whitney catalog had Rolls Royce hoods and grill kits.
You could do the Baja kit.
Man those Bugs ran forever on $2 worth of gas. Of course gas was 40 cents a gallon!

There's an auction house a few blocks away from me and they have a blue convertible bug, looks like a 67'. It's just sitting in their lot. Now I'm itchin' to go ask if they'd part with it.

Of course now the rough ride would rattle my creaky bones apart.

The Thing came apart if I'm remembering correctly. You could take off the doors and the wind screen and change it all around. I haven't seen one in years.

You know you're old when.....
VW's make you nostalgic. Not a bad thing at all!

DA

N

noyd666

still plenty of vw combi vans running around down here,few vw rebuilders pretty expensive though. had a mate that had a split rear window many moons ago. would do over the ton with hot motor.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
you know you are old when.....

you have to scroll to the top of the page to remember which thread you are viewing.;)

maybe that is just a stoner thing:biggrin:

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
My VW bug had four box speakers (2 in the back cargo area behind the back seat....and 2 in the front trunk facing down towards your legs)...quadrophonic 8 track system it was. Had tachometer, oil pressure/temp gauges and a racing steering wheel. A drive down to Tijuana for tuck and roll upholster--and $300 bills for a pin striped paint job. I was cool...at least I thought I was.

Ahh....the days when the old 8 track would go...wah wah wah wah waaaah, and if you were fast you could save it by pulling out the cartridge real fast; too late and the tape would be wound around the post inside. I think I had about 300+ 8 tracks--with about 50 of them Quadrophonic: including Tommy, Hair, Super Session, Herb Albert (whipped cream). Only had 1 problem at the Mexican border with those box speakers (had to open then up to prove no contraband)--not bad considering I spent most weekends at a bungalow just south of Rosarito Beach Hotel in 1971. Ahh, those were times when life was REAL SIMPLE. Wake up, smoke, play, smoke, drink, eat, smoke. Back then in Mex a pair of 501 Levis would trade for about twice what I paid for in the states.....so I would load up on Levis at the war surplus before trekking down to Rosarito and then live on the proceeds while down there. Free vacation...sort of.

DickAnubis

Nice pic, Jah.
You have an entire room dedicated to smoking? I'm jealous.

I just picked up a darkroom and there were a bunch of metal 35mm film canasters. I opened everyone, hoping, but alas nothing but film or air.

You know you're old when .... you find the "May The Force Be with You" button they gave out on opening day of StarWars.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
Yes, with a kickass and take no prisoners ventilation system.
;)

i saw Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind when it first came out.
'ET phone home'

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
;)
you know you are old when....

you stop trying to pretend that you are 'forever 29'

Ph-patrol

Veteran
You know your old when you realize MR Magoo was not old,He was just really baked all the time.:biggrin:

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
no idea who jim backus is but i do know .......

Thurston Howell III from Gilligan's Island

just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
a tale of a fateful trip,
that started from this tropic port,
aboard this tiny ship.

the mate was a mighty sailing man,
the skipper brave and sure,
five passengers set sail that day,
for a three hour tour,
a three hour tour.

the weather started getting rough,
the tiny ship was tossed,
if not for the courage of a fearless crew,
the Minnow would be lost,
the Minnow would be lost.

the ship set ground on the shores,
of this uncharted desert isle,

with gilligan,
the skipper too,
the millionaire and his wife,
the movie star,
the professor and maryanne,
here on gilligan's isle.

now this is a tale of our castaways,
they are here for a long long time,
they will have to make the best of things,
it's an uphill climb.

the first mate and his skipper,
will do their very best,
to make the island comfortable,
it's a tropic island nest.

no phone, no lights, no motor cars,
not a single luxury,
like robinson crusoe,
as primitive as can be.

so join us every week my friend,
you're sure to get a smile,
our seven island castaways,
here on gilligan's isle.

there is gilligan,
the skipper too,
the millionaire and his wife,
the movie star,
the professor and maryanne,
here on gilligan's isle.

just substitute 'maryjane' for 'maryanne' and we have a new tv show idea.

Last edited: