What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know you live in the country if......

Sunshineinabag

This is one of your relatives.....

Attachments

• 139162702_5427794433905119_4744117745128885056_n.jpg
    139162702_5427794433905119_4744117745128885056_n.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 20

St. Phatty

Congrats on successfully training that fighting rooster Phatty, I'd pay big bucks to see you and him in the same ring together! :D

The Silver Lining is, Free Tetanus booster !

I generally defer to the roosters. They want to be King, let them be King.

The way to catch them is, grab them by the foot.

I think it would be cool if there was a Humane Rooster Fighting League.

They're pretty damn entertaining even if they're not forced to fight to the death.

I would stop any given rooster match-up when either bird shows that it wants to quit, or is bleeding enough to make you think "is this going to result in a vet bill."

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
We had several roosters over the years and culled them as soon as we were sure.

Nothing but trouble if you have hens.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Originally Posted by Pinball Wizard View Post
You're out in the country when ...
the county highway department cuts your phone line with a bush-hog.

did that really happen to you?

Or maybe was the guy mowing the ditch ! Sometimes those little phone wire doodads sneak up on ya.

You know you live in the country if......

...you know all that is true...

at my place, the county road grader cut my phone line two years in a row when he was grading the clay road I live on..

Cell phone service still won't reach my house, so both times I was cut off for more than a week, waiting for the repairman to fix my phone line....

redlaser

Veteran
We had several roosters over the years and culled them as soon as we were sure.

Nothing but trouble if you have hens.

I’ve had to re home about seven, one a couple days ago. He was killing his father, the only male we keep. Cycle of nature I suppose, but he was getting too aggressive overall with the females.

They go to a farm a few miles away, so they could have it worse for sure.

We have all silkies now, little eggs, and when young you get a higher percentage of males due to being hard to sex when little. Cool little puff balls, but will likely go with bigger birds in the future to get a decent egg return.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I’ve had to re home about seven, one a couple days ago. He was killing his father, the only male we keep. Cycle of nature I suppose, but he was getting too aggressive overall with the females.

They go to a farm a few miles away, so they could have it worse for sure.

We have all silkies now, little eggs, and when young you get a higher percentage of males due to being hard to sex when little. Cool little puff balls, but will likely go with bigger birds in the future to get a decent egg return.

We had a few silkies too. One was a rooster. That little fluff ball was one of the worst bad asses I ever saw. Our feed store sells chickens so we give them the roos. Who knows what happens from there. There's allot of Brazilian people in the area.

We had a buff orpington killed by a red tail yesterday. He chewed the head almost right off and watched while we took the hen away. I thought about offing him but they're protected. Better to just keep the girls in the run for a week or so.

St. Phatty

We had a few silkies too. One was a rooster. That little fluff ball was one of the worst bad asses I ever saw. Our feed store sells chickens so we give them the roos. Who knows what happens from there. There's allot of Brazilian people in the area.

We had a buff orpington killed by a red tail yesterday. He chewed the head almost right off and watched while we took the hen away. I thought about offing him but they're protected. Better to just keep the girls in the run for a week or so.

You guys with birds should try a D'uccle.

Sometime they get mixed in with Silkies, that's how I got one.

The D'uccle #1 female I got was a great flier, and I thought she was a Silkie.

So the farm supply store let me spend time handling all the Silkie chicks, giving them little "flying lessons" to check their wings.

No big deal, you just let the chick sit on your finger and lower your hand, so the bird spreads its wings.

BUT, I did get Silkies that can manage small 3 foot hops. So with a little help they can fly up to the night roost where the other birds go. :groupwave:

This is a D'uccle rooster.

Formal name, "Mille Fleur d'Uccles Bantam"

attachment.php

This little guy only weighs 2 pounds.

My D'Uccle cross weighs 4 pounds, but their build and feathering is identical, though every bird has different colors.

I can't let the D'Uccle cross outdoors because he keeps trying to kill his father. But I would like to see an encounter between him and any hawk of any size. I don't know if the 2 pound D'Uccle bird would have a chance, but the 4 pound D'Uccle cross, hard guy to bet against.

Attachments

• Mille Fleur d'Uccles Bantam.jpg
    Mille Fleur d'Uccles Bantam.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 12

redlaser

Veteran

The male silkies can get pretty big, and yeah, just as ruthless or more so than any male. We used to have one frizzled silkie that I wish we still had. He was all show, would do this sideways moon walk thing, always showing off. Not aggressive and barely mated.

The feed store here used to let you drop off males too, stopped doing it for covid they say.

Hawks are always watching here too, I have netting over about a 400 square ft area over their coop area. Still let them into the garden area which isn’t protected from above, after a few weeks of that you can count on losing one for sure.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

Lol.

I was on a roadtrip in Ecuador and stopped for something to eat in a little village. There were a few plastic tables and chairs by the road, but the place looked clean enough. We sat down and a scrawny chicken walked by. I ordered "Pollo" because the kitchen was open flame. It was tough as shit, but delicious. Then my buddy says "That'll teach that chicken from bothering the customers." The chicken was nowhere to be seen. Lmao.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Mille Fleur d'Uccles Bantam

That's Thousand Flowers of Uccle. Uccle is a town outside of Brussels. Pretty birds. Those feathers on the feet are cool looking. Must be a show when they are doing the two step.Those red tails are pretty ballsy too. I had one dive bomb a chicken right near where I was standing and had to wave him off. He didn't want to leave after that and I had to wait him out.

The little silkie, we called him Fluffy because (he or she, we didn't know yet) was kind of cute. Then Fluffy started showing his real colors. He wasn't just mean, he was a regular terrorist. Even the bossy hens were afraid of him.

The Ecuador snack, Kid memories, there was a three stooges with them ordering hot dogs in a restaurant and then the chef starts chasing a little dog with a cleaver..
In Tunisia I saw a butcher shop where they have no refrigeration. There's a hook on the wall outside the door where they hang the cows head. You can see how rotten and how many flies on it to decide if you want to buy the beef.

St. Phatty

Try finding video of a Rooster fighting a Hawk.

I could not find any.

I would like to set up an array of cameras to record the front lawn where they tend to hang out, and other areas where I've had hawk attacks on birds.

But I need the pricing to be "on my side". $15 each for the cameras I can afford. But they need a memory upgrade and electricity to capture all daylight hours.

I think it's worth pursuing. A 5 minute hawk rooster fight would probably make some money, as an example, on Youtube.

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Try finding video of a Rooster fighting a Hawk.

I could not find any.

I would like to set up an array of cameras to record the front lawn where they tend to hang out, and other areas where I've had hawk attacks on birds.

But I need the pricing to be "on my side". $15 each for the cameras I can afford. But they need a memory upgrade and electricity to capture all daylight hours.

I think it's worth pursuing. A 5 minute hawk rooster fight would probably make some money, as an example, on Youtube.

No chicken would ever stand a chance against an attack like this!
https://youtu.be/73OvZ_l35Sw

St. Phatty

No chicken would ever stand a chance against an attack like this!
https://youtu.be/73OvZ_l35Sw

Thanks for the Video !

It's not the male bird's job to survive.

The male birds live to take the heat off the females.

Whether that's being eaten himself, or buying the hens a few more seconds time to run for a hiding place.

If the rooster left some fertilized eggs behind, and one or more hens to sit on those eggs, they done their job. :groupwave:

I didn't see the 2 skirmishes when one of my Black Sex Link hens was attacked. She was a large bird that ate adult lizards whole, and not just the tiny lizards.

There were 2 piles of feathers, one about 50 yards from the house and one next to the house and the rat trap the bird ran into.

Her belly was completely stripped of feathers.

I heard loud squawking and ran outside long enough to see an impressively large bird, red hawk looking, each wing 4 foot + long, sitting on the fence with its wings spread. Grumbling perhaps.

gajig61472

The main reason why I choose to live in a very expensive part of the country and haven't moved away to save money, is specifically because of the value I place on my friends and family.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
One of the many things I love about my area (besides the scenic beauty) is the people and their values.

When I moved here it was striking how many of the oldtimers had several adult children and older grandchildren living nearby, even though there were greater economic advantages elsewhere.:grouphug: