What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know you live in the country if......

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
yeah, they are slow...until they are not. strike like a copperhead when they want to, and their neck is longer than their appearance will lead you to believe. seen videos where big ones snapped mop handles on the strike...
I grabbed a big fucker by the tail when I was a kid. I let go pretty quick when he reached around to bite me. Then I used a shovel handle and the sucker hammered down on it. That's a scary thing for a 10 year old.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If you think about it they R really amazing incredible creatures, they live an astonishingly long lifespan , they are heavily armored , almost indestructible in the natural world, it’s so sad when I see them crushed on the road... if I run into one I used to try to take a big stick and push them off to safety

I have seen turtles with about a 3" diameter neck. They get nasty when you catch them on land and disturb them. They are hell on fish in the ponds. I shoot them when I can. The big ones I find, definatly get shot.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran

...you know that most animals, even the little 15 lb. ones, are more than capable of fuckin' you up...:biggrin:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I learned about snapping turtles when I was about 10 years old too..
My buddy and I used to sneak into the municipal golf course thru a hole we made under the fence.
We had learned that we could make money by wading barefooted and waist deep in the "water hazard" pond, finding lost golf balls,
and selling them to golfers by the "Pro Shop"..

The guy who ran the golf course hated us, and was always chasing us off, but he was a fat fuck and couldn't catch two 10 year old kids...

One day we were in the pond and I saw something up on the fairway. We went to investigate.
Turns out it was a huge snapping turtle..(We didn't know that yet)
I had a tootie roll pop in my mouth and said to my friend, "I wonder if it's a snapping turtle?"
I held it out in front of the turtles face...Wham..that turtle's neck stretched out and he snatched the tootsie pop outta my fingers in a flash!

Turns out we found out later, the golf course guy had put that turtle in the pond to bite me and my friend..
The really sad part is, the turtle was dying because of the DDT they used to spray on the pond in those days, to kill the mosquitoes...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Lucky boy!! I don't mess with them. They are fun to shoot in the pond too. A little Rossi single shot .22 I have is deadly with them.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Childhood memory - A buddy telling another kid he could pick it up by the shell. Yeehaw.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
They are supposed to be edible. The fish sure like nibbling on turtle debris when I hit one with a .44 from the lever gun.

redlaser

Veteran
evThey are supposed to be edible. The fish sure like nibbling on turtle debris when I hit one with a .44 from the lever gun.

Can remember cleaning a snapping turtle with my grandpa when I was young. Shell was about 10 inches long. He put an open pliars close to its face, and when it bit he squeezed the pliars, pulled its head and chopped it off. That head did not let go the whole time of cleaning turtle.

Was cool to see it with lower shell removed, it has different colored sections, 7-9 different colors. Supposedly they have distinctive Tastes as well, like one was chicken
and one beef, but I don’t remember trying it

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Don't get me wrong, I leave a few turtles alone in the pond. They are useful for dead fish and such. But if one gets more than 8" around on the shell, or a head as big as a walnut, well I bring the Rossi down to the pond when I feed the fish in the summertime. They pop their heads up to see what all the racket is.

Snakes are another topic.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran

...you know that most animals, even the little 15 lb. ones, are more than capable of fuckin' you up...:biggrin:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I learned about snapping turtles when I was about 10 years old too..
My buddy and I used to sneak into the municipal golf course thru a hole we made under the fence.
We had learned that we could make money by wading barefooted and waist deep in the "water hazard" pond, finding lost golf balls,
and selling them to golfers by the "Pro Shop"..

The guy who ran the golf course hated us, and was always chasing us off, but he was a fat fuck and couldn't catch two 10 year old kids...

One day we were in the pond and I saw something up on the fairway. We went to investigate.
Turns out it was a huge snapping turtle..(We didn't know that yet)
I had a tootie roll pop in my mouth and said to my friend, "I wonder if it's a snapping turtle?"
I held it out in front of the turtles face...Wham..that turtle's neck stretched out and he snatched the tootsie pop outta my fingers in a flash!

Turns out we found out later, the golf course guy had put that turtle in the pond to bite me and my friend..
The really sad part is, the turtle was dying because of the DDT they used to spray on the pond in those days, to kill the mosquitoes...

This little one wont fuck anybody up ... I stumbled across and was able to get a picture past Spring
picture.php

Cuddles

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]you know you live in the country if......
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] it smells like manure instead of car exhaust fumes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and the air is still better
[/FONT]

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]you know you live in the country if......
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] it smells like manure instead of car exhaust fumes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and the air is still better
[/FONT]
I challenge that. It's the liquid stuff these days. :D

fucking roosters! those my grandfather kept attacked everything on the farm. grumpy SOBs...:D

I remember a rooster going after my mom and her grabbing it by the neck in mid flight and giving it a one handed crank snapping it's neck. "There... We'll have him for dinner." Scary shit for an 8 year old. lol

St. Phatty

Animal's behavior depends a lot on how they are treated, and fed.

These 2 young roosters have just spent about 5 minutes wrestling.

At this point in the video, they are necking and making a trilling sound.

attachment.php

Attachments

• rooster-fight.jpg
    rooster-fight.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 13

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I designed that one and built it. On the right side there the door opens down and there are six nest boxes with trays right there. Easy to get the eggs and slide the trays out for cleaning. Above it is another trap door that opens for ventilation in the summer. There is also an automatic slide up chicken door that gets pulled up with a 12" actuator on a timer or remote control. The coop door is at wheelbarrow height for cleaning.

St. Phatty

I think it's easier to get a pedicure if you live in the city.

Although I do have some neighbors with belt sanders.

These are my entries in the Krusty Foot Olympics.

attachment.php

The local ski area opens in a week or 2.

It will be easier to fit my foot into a ski boot when this is tamed.

Treating it goes much easier when the skin is completely dry. Otherwise it's like sanding wet putty.

Can ICMag have a Krusty Foot contest ?

I like entering contests I can win. :skiiing:

Attachments

• IMG_20201215_104600-KrustyFoot Olympics.jpg
    IMG_20201215_104600-KrustyFoot Olympics.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20201215_104521_9CS-KrustyFoot Olympics.jpg
    IMG_20201215_104521_9CS-KrustyFoot Olympics.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Latest posts