What's new

You know you live in the country if......

Sunshineinabag

I had good results at 400 yards today.

With a 150 grain full metal jacket bullet and 90% load of very fast burning rifle powder.

They have steel discs that are about 10% in diameter.

I switched to a different lower that has a lighter pull on the trigger.

Maybe I should try oiling the one that feels heavy.

Today there were 2 other guys with 6 heavy barrel rifles between them. All bolt action.

One of them had a 225-something rifle. The bullet is about the size of a 22-250, but with a rim. I didn't think to ask him if 225 actually measures 225 or is just another Label for 224/223.

That's more what I have. The Lock & Load is about $450 @ Midsouth Shooters.

I change powders every 4, 8, or 12 or 16 bullets.

I like the manual approach, with a single beam balance scale. I actually use a yellow Lee 2.5 cc plastic scoop.

The scale measures to the nearest "chocolate sprinkle", the bigger ones, which weigh about .001 grams. It has 1/10 grain markings but it moves a fair amount from one chocolate sprinkle.

Chocolate sprinkle = extruded powder.

Ya know ya live in the country when the first thing to greet you in the driveway is an overfed possum

J

JimCreator

Horse-bites-bicyclist.gif

St. Phatty

Shooting in the fog at 200 yards.

Could barely see the target at 100 yards.

Got 3 tight clusters at 200 yards and 1 medium cluster.

If you're shooting in Cold Fog, it helps to bring some TP or tissues.

I used a terry cloth towel. Wipe down the scope optics and for about 10 seconds I can see something ...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4-targets2.jpg
    4-targets2.jpg
    432 bytes · Views: 11

redlaser

Veteran
Was lucky enough to get some mountain lion video footage on the game camera the other night. Will probably upload it eventuality. About 3:30 am last week during the full moon, you can see a decent sized one walking uphill on a logging road that meets our driveway.
At first it looked like it had something it caught in its mouth, but upon closer inspection it was a second cat walking alongside it, on the other side, about 3/4 the size of the bigger one.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Cool! Possibly a mating pair or probably a mother / cub. What were the tracks like? Around here there are not supposed to be any mountain lions, but we think there are.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I've never seen a mountain lion here in Virginia but there has been a lot of unofficial sightings. The State says they are not here. There's a conspiracy theory here that the state brought in mountain lions to Virginia decades ago, and are denying it. Lol
My buddy swears he saw one on his way home after leaving my house 3 years ago.

I have heard bobcats several times but never have seen one.

Also I heard a terrible screaming, barking, mooing nightmare. It was a pack of coyotes killing a calf on the next farm over.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
seen a wolverine once while hunting. they said they hadnt been in these parts for over hundred years over trapped or sumthin. looked like cross of a baby bear and a mink

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I ran into this living fossil a while back ... tough old reptile lost a rear leg & No worse for wear
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That’s an alligator snapper obviously & pretty sure they can bite through bone...I seen one take down a duck from underneath when I was a child fishing with my older brother in the local ponds where I grew up

ElGato

Veteran
I ran into this living fossil a while back ... tough old reptile lost a rear leg & No worse for wear

it's ben a minute since i've seen a big ol snapper, man they are some tough suckers.

He looks like an ornery old cuss ...watch those fingers lol

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
it's ben a minute since i've seen a big ol snapper, man they are some tough suckers.

He looks like an ornery old cuss ...watch those fingers lol

If you think about it they R really amazing incredible creatures, they live an astonishingly long lifespan , they are heavily armored , almost indestructible in the natural world, it’s so sad when I see them crushed on the road... if I run into one I used to try to take a big stick and push them off to safety

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
They move slooooow just to suck you in and then shaaaahchaaa they scare the crap out of you. Pretty feisty with the quick moves.

St. Phatty

Snapping turtles make great pets.

They eat everything you give them. Might even be useful in a Plastics Disposal project.

I used to have a fresh hatchling for a pet. They're real common in ponds in the Northeast.

Is it possible to play-provoke them and get them to play-bite the pet owner ? YOU FIRST :rtfo:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
They move slooooow just to suck you in and then shaaaahchaaa they scare the crap out of you. Pretty feisty with the quick moves.

yeah, they are slow...until they are not. strike like a copperhead when they want to, and their neck is longer than their appearance will lead you to believe. seen videos where big ones snapped mop handles on the strike...