What's new

You know you live in the country if......

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I hear fire ants have/are steadily creeping Northward for years, thank you Florida and climate change.

I haven't seen any here in the Blue Ridge mountains but we have plenty of other insect worries.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
or your own two feet. be honest here- how many of us here actually went barefoot when young ? now it hurts to walk around on carpet...:shucks:

Go barefoot in this neck of the woods ((southeast Florida, actually very urban) if you go bare feet in the grass, the red ants will make your life miserable. Not like the northeast ants which are very civilized.

picture.php
picture.php
:woohoo:ouch

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
^^

You know you live in the country if......

you know a real prick when you see one.....

(talking 'bout the picture, not the poster)

St. Phatty

True that star crash…almost told a skunk story

Once I got sprayed point blank by a skunk on my knee.

It was in a trap next to the back door, I was trying to catch one of the feral cats.

It sure did stink but it wasn't that bad. I could have been sprayed in the face, that would have been bad.

Other times I had to release a skunk from a trap and used a piece of 6 mil clear plastic to shield myself from a direct hit. And of course held my breath.

Their stink is about the color of printer ink. Yellow ish.

Betterhaff

Veteran

It was in a trap next to the back door, I was trying to catch one of the feral cats.

It sure did stink but it wasn't that bad. I could have been sprayed in the face, that would have been bad.

Other times I had to release a skunk from a trap and used a piece of 6 mil clear plastic to shield myself from a direct hit. And of course held my breath.

To help neutralize skunk spray…H2O2 + baking soda

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
y'all got fire ants there, don't you? 'bama is infested with the little bastards...
So you understand the fire ant problems. Some people are allergic to their bites and bites will swell up to giant whitehead pimple like mounds capable of killing a person bitten multiple times if not treated quickly. (I dont know how to spell annaphalactic shock)
Back in the northeast ants were pesky pain in the asses at picnics but werent anywhere near as aggressive as these fire ants down here, they only wanted food. One can not lie in the grass and enjoy nature with them around. On a golf course, they can be found at the tops of tall grass and as you pass by they'll transfer to you cloths and wander around until they find a convenient exposed piece of skin to bite. And the bites leave scars for a long time. Hate them.

h.h.

Veteran

Why was the skunk on your knee?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
So you understand the fire ant problems. Some people are allergic to their bites and bites will swell up to giant whitehead pimple like mounds capable of killing a person bitten multiple times if not treated quickly. (I dont know how to spell annaphalactic shock)
Back in the northeast ants were pesky pain in the asses at picnics but werent anywhere near as aggressive as these fire ants down here, they only wanted food. One can not lie in the grass and enjoy nature with them around. On a golf course, they can be found at the tops of tall grass and as you pass by they'll transfer to you cloths and wander around until they find a convenient exposed piece of skin to bite. And the bites leave scars for a long time. Hate them.

yeah, damn fire ants are moving north. on the plus side (i guess) so are armadillos. i hope they eat fire ants...:woohoo: i have read about people. livestock, and pets being killed by fire ants. damn...

St. Phatty

OH NO, WHAT HAVE I DONE ?!

I bought 250 pieces of Starline Small Rifle Primer Brass, 308 caliber.

Normally I would never have done this. But I have 600 small rifle primers.

it's an EXISTENTIAL SITUATION ! ! !

They are called "match brass" - some people think the re-loaded bullet performs more consistently with the small primer.

See, Covid19 shortages are forcing us to adapt.

I have adapted. Slightly.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Once fired from that gun is the best because it fits that chamber perfectly.

St. Phatty

yup, prob get away with just sizing the neck to hold bullet. semi-auto, prob best to full-length size for reliable feeding.

I give the brass 3 "hits" with a die that moves the cone shaped part of the shape, that transitions from the .473 base to the part that holds the .308 bullet.

I figure each "hit" moves it down about .001 inches.

I'm not sure what else the die is doing. I use 4 dies -

de-prime
re-size
bullet seat
crimp.

I really like Crimp. It took me a long time before I would buy bullets without a Cannelure.

It would be cool to have instruments fast enough to measure the effect of the crimp. I know it hangs on the bullet for an extra micro-second or 2. But there's about 2000 pounds of force building on the bottom of the bullet, so the crimp doesn't slow it down for long.

On the other hand, I have the impression that many match shooters just really on nect tension, and Do Not Crimp.

I just like the way it looks, on fresh shiny brass.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
yeah, damn fire ants are moving north. on the plus side (i guess) so are armadillos. i hope they eat fire ants...:woohoo: i have read about people. livestock, and pets being killed by fire ants. damn...

You don't have fire ants? They are not that big a deal, and it is fun to mess with their nests. But do watch where you are standing... if the ground feels a little too soft under that grass, it may be a new hill.

There ain't enough Amdro... or time... to kill them all.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Measuring and case trimming when necessary is important too.

If you are going through the trouble of reloading for accuracy, it would be a good idea to get your barrel crowned.