What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You know you live in the country if......

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I just talked to one of the guys at the local sporting goods that sells re-loading supplies, rifles, etc.

Normally this time of year they would be very busy, people getting ready for hunting season and all.

It sounded like he did not have a lot to sell, and spent more time than I expected answering questions.

"why is everybody out of stock" is the basic question.

He said the word they are getting from the ammunition supply folks, is that they US gov. placed an order for 4 billion ammo rounds.

Also that the max. capacity of the 4 US ammo manufacturers, is 4.6 million rounds a day.

So it will take about 90 days to fill that one US gov. order.

It doesn't all make sense but this is what I know so far.

https://www.midwayusa.com/rifle-ammunition/br?cid=690

They are out of stock on almost all ammo - at one of the biggest ammo etailers ?

Why this should affect availability of firearms, does not make sense at all.

Since they're in business to make money.

Looks like the US gov is buying up ammo and putting it in a warehouse somewhere.

Is it possible they're also buying firearms and putting them in a warehouse ?

The 10Q & 10K financial reports, where manufacturers like Federal/ ATK explain these things, sometimes, ought to be pretty interesting this year.
The same depletion of primers and ammo happened about 7 years ago for the same BS reason: govmt giant orders. The problem I saw was there wasnt any .32acp or .380 ammo either. Why the belly gun ammo scarcity? I stocked up on primers and brass back then.

Plan Ahead.

h.h.

Veteran
Well if that's why you want a gun, then forget the little handguns. If you are light framed then a 20 guage pump or semi-auto shotgun with slugs or get a big dog.

LGD in the front. Mastiff in the back.
Friendless dogs you ever want to meet. Until you don’t.

No bear here or I’d possibly have a shotgun. I like the Winchester Defender. Shot from the side, it can be emptied pretty fast if need be.

Biggest problem here is an old mangy Fox. Dogs protect the animals. The fox can have the rabbits. To each in their own place.

I have no use for a gun though. Just a needless expense for me.

St. Phatty

Don't forget large pistol primers. My favorite tool is a .44 lever gun.

I remember the rumors of the .guv buying all kings and calibers of ammo back under oboma. Why now? What did they do with the last big buy that ran out retail supply?

looks like they bought about 1.6 billion rounds in the 2013 time-frame.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LGD in the front. Mastiff in the back.
Friendless dogs you ever want to meet. Until you don’t.

No bear here or I’d possibly have a shotgun. I like the Winchester Defender. Shot from the side, it can be emptied pretty fast if need be.

Biggest problem here is an old mangy Fox. Dogs protect the animals. The fox can have the rabbits. To each in their own place.

I have no use for a gun though. Just a needless expense for me.

The last gun powder gun I had was an ancient single shot 12 gauge for putting down old or injured animals on the farm. I gave it away when I hit the road. Now I got that 25 cal. air gun for plinking.
My dogs used to play with the coyotes. It was a blast.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
The same depletion of primers and ammo happened about 7 years ago for the same BS reason: govmt giant orders. The problem I saw was there wasnt any .32acp or .380 ammo either. Why the belly gun ammo scarcity? I stocked up on primers and brass back then.

Plan Ahead.

bet the belly-gun ammo shortage is mostly private sales, elections cause fear whether justified or not. i can understand shortages of 9 mm stuff. don't almost all govt agencies carry them now? and much of the general population?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
The last gun powder gun I had was an ancient single shot 12 gauge for putting down old or injured animals on the farm. I gave it away when I hit the road. Now I got that 25 cal. air gun for plinking.
My dogs used to play with the coyotes. It was a blast.

Same here, but still have the powder guns.
Mostly air now with a 4500psi compressor at home.

Check out this bad boy. An FX Impact X .25 with a ATN X Vision 4K Pro night vision scope (5 - 20x) and a DonnyFL Sumo suppressor. Quiet as a mouse. We had critters trying to get int our chicken coop / run at night. The scope has one shot zero. Take one shot and skew the pointer to the hit and its zero'd.

picture.php

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are these air compressed guns I keep hearing about? Are they effective? They definitely look cool.

They are available to 50 caliber. No permit required. Online order.
But you need a 4500 psi compressor to charge them.

picture.php

My 25 semi-auto

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Very accurate. That gun can quick change barrels in 5 minutes to .177 .22 .25 .30. or .35.
The scope does a one shot zero on the barrel change. Depending on the caliber the mags hold up to 28 rounds. Bolt action. Costs nothing to shoot.

There's a company in Ohio that's one of the bigger air gun dealers, Pyramid Air.

Man, That auto looks badass!

Last edited:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
This is the 'Don't Fuck With My Plants' gun. An upgraded CO2 cartridge 'paintball' :biggrin: gun.
It shoots .68 rubber coated steel balls and cop grade pepper balls. Upgraded rifled barrel and taclight were add ons.

picture.php

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last edited:

Sunshineinabag

I can't vote anymore today but you both got thumbs up from me. When I think of the possibilities with these platforms......things have come along way since I was a kid w a pump crossman air rifle. Best practice tool for a future rifleman!

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Never seen one of those. Cool. Now that would be interesting with a stubby PCP tank.

https://hatsanairgunsusa.com/product-category/parts/

There's a remote kit for the FSC to use a tank instead. The carts are pretty cheep and I get about 12 rounds per cart - two mags. I can hit a 12" tree at 100' most all the time. If someone got into the plants, beaning em would be no problem.

Nice innocent sounding excuse too - he broke into my greenhouse and I shot em with my paintball gun. :biggrin:

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I can't vote anymore today but you both got thumbs up from me. When I think of the possibilities with these platforms......things have come along way since I was a kid w a pump crossman air rifle. Best practice tool for a future rifleman!

Crosman Pumpmaster? I had one when I was a wee lad, don't know what happened to the rifle.. So I saw one in store a couple of years ago, on sale.. AND IT WAS PINK!

pink2.jpg

So yea I bought one and went home like OH BOY OH BOY!
And it was a piece of China cheapo crap. Pellets would pour out the barrel if it was facing down and that lead to a lot of misfires, it had trouble holding air, accuracy was poor.. Cheap plastic made it feel fragile and loose, if you will.

So yea I took it back like maybe I got a bad one. Guy behind the counter at the store I bought it from saw me put it on the table and was like, Yea dude, I'll give you a full refund. I was like I just want to trade for a better one but nope! Guy said that like 75% of em get returned so he won't sell em anymore, easier to return em to the factory and be done with all the complaints.

So yea.. Childhood, RUINED.

Also I was watching Disney Star Wars that week, it didn't help either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usGQjN87BUA

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts