What's new

You know you live in the country if......

igrowone

Veteran
ginseng grows in the north too, way up in upstate NY
many moons ago I to dug the wild 'sang
the yellow root that shithawk mentioned is goldenseal probably

armedoldhippy

Veteran
some folks feel if you are not using something, it is up for grabs. same folks spotlight deer, trespass, ignore seasons/limits etc. it is a learned behavior. every year here, they catch some dimwit spotlighting deer with his kids... found a scent dripper and stand a couple of years back where some asswipe had set up to hunt for the juvenile opener, and marked the trail in with orange tape coming from a neighboring property. such respect for others property rights...took it all down and put it in landowners front yard so they could see it driving by. no one stopped to ask for it back...

some folks feel if you are not using something, it is up for grabs. same folks spotlight deer, trespass, ignore seasons/limits etc. it is a learned behavior. every year here, they catch some dimwit spotlighting deer with his kids... found a scent dripper and stand a couple of years back where some asswipe had set up to hunt for the juvenile opener, and marked the trail in with orange tape coming from a neighboring property. such respect for others property rights...took it all down and put it in landowners front yard so they could see it driving by. no one stopped to ask for it back...
I saw said tough-guy-13-year-olds' dad at Church today. I said nothing of the incident. Honestly I like the kid. He's ballsy. " Who the fuck are you!... That's a 13 year old with a set of balls on him...

I don't have children so I'm clueless. The thing that has me thinking about this incident is what to do. Namely, I'm fine with him trying to make a quick buck on my land. It's a plant...he didn't try to rob my house. I'm trying to be reasonable. What I don't like is that, at 13...he took a shot at a 20 lb dog. Who is scared of a 20 lb dog? Surely not this kid. He just wanted to kill him. That's a problem.

I feel like maybe I should say something to dad but I'm not sure. I pulled some shit as a youngster, but I didn't have access to guns (suburbanite.) And I sure as shit didn't want to hurt any animals.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You are not from around there. They will test you until they know you. Maybe hang out at the local pool bars and meet them there, as well as church. Nobody likes city people carpetbagging, buying up the land, and changing things. Even if it's only 3 acres.

A lot of people in Appalachia carry pistols in their pockets, no big deal. Be polite. Get one of your own.

If you have the only shiny new PU truck in the bar parking lot, maybe you should consider blending in better. Or at least buy rounds, like the new rich guy should do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqDVObM1kxc

Last edited:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
IMPORTANT INFORMATION!
Note: Due to the extremely high volume of orders, ......... :whistling:

So, if a small female living in the country in the South with NO experience of guns was to consider getting one for protection, what should she get? :chin:

'Boogieman'

IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

So, if a small female living in the country in the South with NO experience of guns was to consider getting one for protection, what should she get? :chin:

Walther CCP M2 9mm, you can even put a pink frame on it if you want, and consider getting a semi automatic 223 rifle.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

Beretta tip up semi auto. Most reliable small (auto) gun on the planet. Used by CIA, Interpol and Mafia button men for decades.
22, 25, 32 (European 9 mm or .380)

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

Desert Eagle 50.

Now you're talkin' country, not one of those lil' ol purse guns.

hqdefault.jpg

St. Phatty

IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

I vaguely remember one post where you said you were a GUY.

but anyway, I think the main thing is - SAVE YER MONEY.

A lot of people get interested.

They buy an AR15 with a 16 inch barrel - because that is what is commonly sold to newbies.

Then they may read an article and realize - oh I can get a BIG increase in muzzle velocity, by going for a longer barrel.

So they buy a 5.56 with a 24 inch barrel.

etc. etc.

Might as well buy what you will eventually end up owning, after spending a LOT of money.

a 308 with a 24 inch barrel, WITH a threaded bull or heavy barrel.

Problem is selection is down right now. The manufacturers are making less variety.

CBC sells a 308 upper with a 20 inch barrel. $440 ish

Palmetto State sells an AR10 lower, to go with the 308 upper. $369

MAN if Biden/Harris win, prices might go up more.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
small-frame .380 auto, or one of the small LadySmith version revolvers from Smith & Wesson. or an AirWeight .38 spl. from the same folks at S&W. plus some good pepper spray. do not get "bear spray", it has a lower % of capsaicin than regular pepper spray. unless you shoot quite a bit, i would not advise a bigger caliber than .38 spl, which CAN be a bit snorty itself in a really light pistol.:chin:

St. Phatty

Palmetto State has their first 9 mm out.

They are one of the best firearms manufacturers in the US. Them and Bear Creek Arsenal.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-dagger.html

Barrel's only 3.9 inches long. Nor sure how important that is.

Was it supposed to be for concealed carry ?

I think a 9 mm should have a 16 inch barrel, but I'm in the minority.

I also suggest checking out the 350 Legend.

It is similar to the 450 Bushmaster, 500 Beowulf, and 458 Socom - Handgun type rounds so powerful you NEED to hands.

BUT 450 Bushmaster, as an example, is TOO powerful.

I re-load for it and am afraid to use a full load. 2.4 grams of Handgun Pistol powder is almost a Magnum Rifle amount of power.

The 350 Legend uses a doable amount of powder. So instead of being 2 1/2 times as powerful as a 357 Magnum handgun, it's only about twice as powerful.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
it will lose probably 3/4 of its weight while drying. they won't buy it wet. think he WAS pulling your leg a bit. damn stuff comes up every year here. if you plant the berries back after digging it (required by law here), it might take about 10 years to be worth digging again though...they won't all sprout.

We have wild garlic growing here. People are super secretive about their patch. You can buy it pickled road side for $60 a pickle jar. Crazy expensive. My brother buys a half dozen jars every year. I think it's terrible stuff, but some people go nuts on it.

dramamine

We have wild garlic growing here. People are super secretive about their patch. You can buy it pickled road side for $60 a pickle jar. Crazy expensive. My brother buys a half dozen jars every year. I think it's terrible stuff, but some people go nuts on it.

Ramps....I love those things. The leaves are good to make pesto.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
small-frame .380 auto, or one of the small LadySmith version revolvers from Smith & Wesson. or an AirWeight .38 spl. from the same folks at S&W. plus some good pepper spray. do not get "bear spray", it has a lower % of capsaicin than regular pepper spray. unless you shoot quite a bit, i would not advise a bigger caliber than .38 spl, which CAN be a bit snorty itself in a really light pistol.:chin:

.380 is ideal for close range self defense. With the Beretta tip up barrel one does not need to rack a slide and they don't jam like other autos. The 32 is probably good enough.

h.h.

Veteran
What part of the country do you guys live in where you’re constantly having to defend yourself? I guess I could go kill some prairie dogs. The bar is too far away to go get in trouble.. I did try harvesting tomatoes once with a 9mm. That was just a mess.

I’ve never had a situation that I or a couple good dogs couldn’t handle. The few folks I’ve known that have been shot, were shot in drug deals gone bad. Specifically cocaine deals for some reason.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
What part of the country do you guys live in where you’re constantly having to defend yourself? I guess I could go kill some prairie dogs. The bar is too far away to go get in trouble.. I did try harvesting tomatoes once with a 9mm. That was just a mess.

I’ve never had a situation that I or a couple good dogs couldn’t handle. The few folks I’ve known that have been shot, were shot in drug deals gone bad. Specifically cocaine deals for some reason.

i hope your run of luck continues unabated. folks get shot for many reasons, like not keeping their dick in their pants, lol. a 9 mm is WAY too much gun for 'maters. about right for turnips though. i used a 20 gauge last time i blew some turnips away...:tongue:

Latest posts

Latest posts