What's new

You know you live in the country if......

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I had a buddy who hung a salt lick on a tree off his deck. At night, he would have his wife bring him his 30-30 while he sat in his Lazy-Boy. Then she would open the sliding glass door and turn on the flood lights for him.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I had a buddy who hung a salt lick on a tree off his deck. At night, he would have his wife bring him his 30-30 while he sat in his Lazy-Boy. Then she would open the sliding glass door and turn on the flood lights for him.

You can legally hunt deer from the comfort of your front porch... (or the Lazy boy in your den.)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I like watching my deer. They don't need shooting. I put mineral and salt blocks out for them. No need to put out corn, there is 60ac of the stuff next door.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor

You can legally hunt deer from the comfort of your front porch... (or the Lazy boy in your den.)

He got one about every two weeks. Here it is bow hunting only. They have an early start for handicapped where they drive around with them on car hoods and in pickups. The handicapped get to use shotguns with slugs. High power is a no no. Jacking deer at night is too. People did it anyway. They just wanted a deer with a clean kill and not allot of messing around.

We used to joke about the city guys in their k-mart suits and camo face make up sitting it tree stands all day.

The place was overpopulated and food was an issue for the deer so it was really conservation.

St. Phatty

I have an over-supply of fermented plums.

I wanted to use it to get some pics of the local bears.

Found a local store that has 128 GB microSD cards for the camera.

it uses up about 6 GB per hour.

was going to leave the camera out overnight, running off extension cord, with a light I guess.

also bears like seeds.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Tastes like Pork.

I believe that is the Historical reason for the ban on Pork in the Halal and Kosher diets.

A long time ago, people sold human bodies as Pork.
My cousin lived in whitehorse. He told me about hunters taking only pregnant moose and bringing in only the calf. I'm not squeamish, but I'll take a pass on that one.

St. Phatty

How many foot pounds can you get out of 35 grains of Reloder 7 ?

How many foot pounds can you get out of 35 grains of Reloder 7 ?

attachment.php

I went to the range so I could get some exercise & breathe some smoke.

That first target is the 180 grain Barnes 30 caliber copper bullet. About 2 inches above target center at 200 yards.

The second target is the 168 grain Speer "Gold Dot". It is a second gen hollow point where the copper is plated onto the lead core.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last pic is the bullets themselves. The longer 180 grain copper bullet and the 168 grain Speer bullet.

I think it is a little wierd that the heavier bullet is out-shooting the lighter bullet.

Believing in conservation of energy and all that.

The heavier bullet is up 2 inches at 200 yards and the lighter bullet is down 3 inches ?!

I'm thinking about buying some 190 grain or 200 grain bullets to see where the effect stops.

Anybody know why the heavier bullet is going faster, with the same amount of powder ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200911_152543_180-168.jpg
    IMG_20200911_152543_180-168.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200911_150927_200C.jpg
    IMG_20200911_150927_200C.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200911_150911_200D.jpg
    IMG_20200911_150911_200D.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 17

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Boat tail hollow point.

Matybe your chrono is off or More complete combustion takes place due to the heavier bullet spending more time in the barrel after ignition. The primer can affect the burn rate too

I'm a suburbanite who moved to the deep south 6 months ago. DEEEP in the woods (working from home now!)

Actual conversation yesterday with my 68 year old neighbor (I'm 31. NOT from the South, but love it here)

*helps himself to opening backyard gate. I walk out in my underwear to let the dog out. See him. WTF?*

Neighbor: "Mornin' lazy (laughs at his own joke.) I forgot to tell ya. You gotta helluva gin-sangggg crop. It's that stuff that looks like poison ivy over there (points). I dug her up, well, what I could see without getting into the thick. Put the roots in that bucket next to the chicken coop. Wrote the number down to a seller from down yonder. $400 a pound buddy. Nice, right?"

*I just stare at him, woke up 30 seconds ago, wtf is even happening? Wtf is gin-sanggg?*

"...well anyway. Now you know it's there. She only comes up every 10 years or so. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But it's real money. God bless ya [my name]. [spits tobacco]"

*gets in truck, drives away. I nod agreeably.*

Took me till this afternoon to figure out what the hell transpired. It's wild ginseng. He dug it up, at 68, with a shovel. Hard labor for a 20 year old in this soil, let alone a 68 year old. He basically just handed me 2 grand. Reading his note, he didn't even sign his name. I would have never known who dug it up otherwise. He wanted no credit, no money, nothing. As far as I know he lives on social security with a wife in a trailer.

Made me well up after I figured it all out. I'll give him half.

shithawk420

Veteran
Well when I lived in GA i was told " yella root" was wild ginsing too but I don't think it's really ginsing.but I'll be damn if the shit don't look like it.im from the north too.i wonder if them southern folks ain't pulling our leg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
it will lose probably 3/4 of its weight while drying. they won't buy it wet. think he WAS pulling your leg a bit. damn stuff comes up every year here. if you plant the berries back after digging it (required by law here), it might take about 10 years to be worth digging again though...they won't all sprout.

....update at 1:18AM EST...i have about 3 acres for reference.

Game camera alerts on my phone but with no pictures or visible video, which is weird. So I investigate. I walk the property, slowly.

My favorite/first dog, who is only 20 lbs and trained, ran on me while walking. He never does that. I ran after, yelling at him. He is snake trained and bear trained; something was up.

..Apparently locals know all about this crop on my property.

3 guys were digging and one took a shot at my dog. Missed. I shot back at the darkness, screaming profanities and threats in my underwear. I couldn't see anyone or anything. "I yield!" I hear...

I walk up with a flash light and it's 3 teenagers- I'm guessing 13 to 15- on their knees with their hands up. They had been digging up gingseng roots. These folks must've known about this crop going back generations. The kids rode in a 4 wheeler that was pretty badass, had snake proof boots on, and some sort of electric digging tool that I am not familiar with. They were ready.

I really wish the seller of my house informed me of this situation. Everyone else knows about this crop but me. I gave one of the kiddos a hard slap in the face (he said "who the fuck r u"...I met him and his dad 4 months ago at church...he knew who I was and that I lived here...must be the tough guy of the group haha) and made all show me their ID's, of which I took a picture. Told them to scram, they apologized and said they didn't think anyone lived on the property anymore (lying but I pretended to believe) and that was that.

I'm not creative enough to make this stuff up. What a night. If you think country living is boring try living in Appalachia.

Latest posts

Latest posts