What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yogurt Cup Grow Contest Voting Thread

Yogurt Cup Grow Contest Voting Thread

• Bugman

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Wildgrow

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • Eighths & Aces

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • Waldgeist

Votes: 26 29.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
What about the recipients we use. Some of us european brothers will not find X oz. yogurt cups or similar size in mililiters. How do we get in while respecting the contest rules?
We can find varios sizes of plastic cups or something like that, but I really don't know if there are any international sizes of plastic cups, so we can all use it. I can calculate volume of any recipient, like i did when i played in the beer cup chalenge and could not find regulation cups around here, but don't know if this is the way we should do it. Maybe it is too much to do it for some future players.
Any toughts on this?

#1cheesebuds

Veteran

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
there are a few on the first page here ........ https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=280941

OnlyOrnimental did the math and there isn't much difference between containers

7 ml aint a whole lot

the yogi cups on this side of the pond are all around 230 ml FWIW (at least the ones i've measured)

well.. I saw his post, but he was around 30 ml under the regulation from my calculations. which can be a lot when talking about 200 or so ml in total.
I'll try to find some 170 ml yogurt cup or if not some kind of single use plastic cups around that size.

Waldgeist

6 oz. = 177.441178125 ml

now 230 ml total is allowed?, thats huge difference i think?

please make this point sure so we can prepare right:biggrin:

look those 20 ml alone :biggrin:

I guess the difference of more than 50 ml could be massive,
here thats 50 ml alone:

O-O, 230ml is almost a big 'Bauer' one, :biggrin:

If its not restricted to 'real' yogi cups one can also use normal seedling pot? i have 230ml square ones ...

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm thinking of sticking with 6oz or 178mL, contestants find the closest size container they can...

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
well.. I saw his post, but he was around 30 ml under the regulation from my calculations. which can be a lot when talking about 200 or so ml in total.
I'll try to find some 170 ml yogurt cup or if not some kind of single use plastic cups around that size.

6 oz. = 177.441178125 ml

now 230 ml total is allowed?, thats huge difference i think?

please make this point sure so we can prepare right:biggrin:

look those 20 ml alone :biggrin:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=55617&pictureid=1321648&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I guess the difference of more than 50 ml could be massive,
here thats 50 ml alone:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=55617&pictureid=1337382&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

O-O, 230ml is almost a big 'Bauer' one, :biggrin:

If its not restricted to 'real' yogi cups one can also use normal seedling pot? i have 230ml square ones ...

i'm wondering if the packaging on this side of the pond is different from that side of the pond. over here the yogurt cup is never full all the way to the top. there is some air space in every container.

i have measured 5 or six different brands containers using water and a graduated cylinder and it is always within 5 mils of 230. all i do is fill the container all the way to the top pour it in the cylinder and read what it says. it doesn't seem like it matters what brand or shape the container is they are always really close to the same volume. anyone on your side of the pond measuring the same thing the same way?

:dunno:

it would be nice to know we are all working with the same size container

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it would be nice to know we are all working with the same size container

exactly!
the yogi cups hold only 6 oz of product, but total volume is up at 230 mL i believe, i will check this out and new rules will be posted in new thread....

the goal is to KNOW everyone is using the same ridiculously small container

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
the goal is to KNOW everyone is using the same ridiculously small container

i think so too. i invested another eight bucks in yogurt and broke out the scale and the graduated cylinder:biggrin: careful folks marijuana probably doesn't lead to hard drugs but it might lead to trying to figure out exactly what is in a yogurt cup ......... scary shit

so here is every different container of yogurt that i could find at the local supermarket.

i like yogurt but it's gonna take a couple days to eat all this. the first two went like this

Muller (sorry Wald, no umlaut on my keyboard)

it says there are "5.3 oz(150g)" in the cup so they are rounding the numbers. the actual weight of the yogurt is only 132.9g and the granola is 6.1g so neither number is right anyway. there is around 140 ml of yogurt in a 180 ml cup. ****sneaky germans**** ( i'm kidding FWIW)

Dannon

it says "6 oz.(170g)" rounded again but there is actually 169.6g of yogurt in the container. it takes up 185 ml and it's a 220ml cup
**** vive la france**** at least they know how to use a scale (and i'm still kidding)

gotta go ........ yogurt gives me the shits.

i'll get more posted when i can eat more yogurt:ying:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I'll go shopping and do same measurements for what I can find in shops around here. I won't be doing the yogurt eating tho, but i have a gf and a dog to handle that. :)
Then we can decide how the container size rule will look like for next round.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I think best option would be to keep this rule as before. As long as you use the correct size container, it doesn't matter what lighting you provide.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
I must learn how I can do this... :) for me it would be a money saver cuz of less coco that would be needed to use.

also does this method save you any growing or flowering time?

coco is cheap stuff. i wouldn't try to save coco by growing this way unless it was for the contest. use something huge like a beer cup:biggrin: they are a pain in the ass in their own way,but they are more forgiving than a yogurt cup:tiphat:
i don't think any time is saved at all

How this can make it? there is too little soil. which lights are used?

it all here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=289359

Betterhaff

Veteran
I’m glad I saved these because I think Dannon changed their packaging here (not as beefy). I would think any container that holds ~6 oz. or ~170 gr. would work. Do they sell “Tall Boy” yogurts?

Attachments

• Yog Cups.jpg
    Yog Cups.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 45

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bigups everyone, only a new more days to vote... new contetest thread will be posted after this voting thread is finished

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Did my first yogurt cup measurement:

DANONE "Cremosso Intens" - 140 gr.

Total package weight: 149 gr.
Lid weight: 0,8 gr.
Cup weight: 7,2 gr.
Yogurt weight: 141 gr.
Yogurt fill %: approx. 66% (2/3)
Cup volume (to the brim): 220 ml

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
220ml... right on... that's really what we are talking about is the VOLUME of the container, full to the brim...

I'm willing to accept that +/- 15 ml (or so) isn't going to make much of a difference...

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Now I need to find taller recipients of this size.. cause I plan on watering in the tray, not through the cup.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is a HempyBucket Style allowed?

read the first post of the contest thread... all the rules are there, YES any style of grow is allowed, the main stipulation is that roots must remain inside container at all times,

i cant remember WHO did it a while back but they made their own felt smartpot and slid that down inside the yogi cup... all legit, so long as roots remain inside the container.

edit: i wanna say it was bugman or wildgrow w the mini homemade smart pot made of red felt...

altering the cup is ok... just so long as it doesn't change the volume of it... also was it OO who grew a finola hemp plant in some hempy(ish) style yogi cup a couple rounds back?
if you read thru the previous yogi cup threads you will see many of these questions answered, and get some good ideas from what people have done within the boundaries of the rules in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts