What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yield increasing planting method

neongreen

Veteran
jockhorror

Since no one else replied...

It probably doesn't matter if you skin them or use cloning powder/gel, they will produce roots anyway from any branch that is buried. As long as you leave a good part of the tops of the branches above ground, they are not going to get stunted. Once the new roots start to kick in after a few days, they should take off anyway.

I'd be careful, how much you scrape - I think you only need to take off less than 1mm?

G

sorry jh,

what neongreen said.

sideways works fine and i dont know if ive noticed any difference using cloning powder or scraping. Ive concluded that any stem/plant thats below grade will root.

This technique would work nicely together with the air cloning. I think that if you air clone the stalk and the branches the plant would start to grow it's new roots into the growing medium without any delay. What do you guys think?

dkmonk

Awesome technique, going to do this to at least 1/3 of my plants to test it out and see the difference.

93|93

thanx a lot silverback, for posting this! great thread. I will definately try it out.
planting less plants outside means less walking, means less work and so results in a gain of stealth, without a loss of yield. great man! :yes:

G

Ive got a couple of plants that ive thrown into flower that im going to bury dkmonk to see what happens.

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
I have learned a similar tenchique here on the forums some years ago.

They used to veg. the plant for at least a month, allowing it to develope a good stem with several branches.
When transplanting time comes, they took off the lower 3/4 branches from both sides of the bottom of the plants.
Rooting powder was applied to the branche-sites and then the plant was put in the hole/container burying the lower part of the stem where the growing shots with root powder were.
Thanks to this technique the plants earn very much in root mass and produce pound harvests.

I did this to my larger plants this year before planting them in the guerrilla spot and this is the result:
picture.php

picture.php

this was planted oudoor 2 months ago, in mid may. The strain is Jeorges Diamond

G

They look good Wamen. I have only one this year, but your right, if its variety that gets big anyway, this method will really bust her out.

neongreen

Veteran
Nah, it's not a problem Bubba. At least not of you're on the ball. Check my grow diary (link in sig) ;)

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
This is an awesome method but the downside for outdoor growers is that Slugs will have a field day...

A mate has trained a 10' x 8' plant out, to mainly between 1 and 3' high off the ground, all good, but I told him to lay plastic on the ground to keep humidity/mud off, beer traps for slugs, Neem for everything else.

Would be good if he would try this method, but he is far too uphisownarse with his 'success' to listen to very much..... I find it very hard to see how it would give less yield, easy to see how it could give more. It is very hard to tell people who have grown some great bud/big plants that they could have done better, I always look at a crop and try to see where I could have done better.

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is an awesome method but the downside for outdoor growers is that Slugs will have a field day...

Like Chaos said beer traps,,,, can also use sawdust, egg shells, (sea) shell grit, a copper collar, etc.

Birds like to drop in for a feed on the shell grit too. :yes:

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
bump :joint:

ive been having great results w/ this in my vegetable/flower gardens

give it a try this year

ijim

Hi everyone.

Sorry Dignan and others, but I just cant bring myself to take a camera to my grow sites and take pictures. Im not going to put myself in the position of trying to explain to a sherrif or UNITE agent that I don't know anything about any marijuana and havent seen anybody that does, while all along I have a camera full of pot pictures hanging around my neck. Call me chicken if you want, but it aint me.

This tecnique is very common in gardening. The book i used to learn this with is called. SECRETS OF PLANT PROPAGATION, by Lewis Hill, through STOREY COMMUNICATIONS. The book was written and published before the net so theres no .com.

I use a potato peeler to skin my plant. It works very well. Douse the rooting powder and away you go. This works very well with low yielding strains

Etheral, Its my view that only some strains of Mj have big root balls. Small stature strains and medium sized plants are usually about 2x2. This method is best used for small or medium sized plants as bigger plants already have good yields and are more difficult to manage with this method.

Plants cultivated in pots are severely restricted in root structure. Plants outdoors will not have as tight of a root ball and will spread to whatever the diameter of the foliage is. The more mas of the plant structure the more area the roots will grow. Distributes moisture that way plus it keeps bushy plants from blowing over by the wind. but a hole large enough to get the plants well established will allow the roots to grow through virgin soil.

ijim

When starting plants for horizontal planting. Wait until your seedlings are established 4 or 5 nodes then back off on the lights to induce stretching. Helps spread out the bush. Plus this is a good method for large Sativas that you don't want to outgrow the corn or other vegetation. Or in totes indoors when you have ceiling limit's.