What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yield increasing planting method

Depends how good of a lawyer ya got ....... Technically speaking it would be 1 plant but like I said that depends on human involvement ....... good lawyer and a decent judge .........digging it up would more than likely be needed to show that under ground all the pieces connect ....... This is more for medical growers as not med growers these oints would be moot and it really wouldn't matter much bc most states 1 plant is enough to give ya some TIME

neongreen

Veteran
Another bump for a great thread!

Here's a little outdoor training from this year's outdoor. Posted most of these pics on another couple of threads, but thought they might be appropriate here.

It's Chocolate Trip S1 that turned out to be a male. I chopped and put the branches in water so I could collect pollen. It was also layered, but a bit too late (in the first week of July) and the layer didn't take - live n learn! Next time I'll layer sooner!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here's what I dug up two months after the attempted layering - I have to say though that I did not bother with rooting powder. Next time I will as well as giving it more time to root.
picture.php

would it work better to simply LST the main stem horizontally starting very young then take the peeler to the underside where there will be no branches? no cutting stems or topping involved, less for the plant to recover from...regardless i'm definitely trying this method in a few months.

It all depends on what works for you best ... many ways to skin a cat .. you know...

LST plants usually have branches closer together and this method you want some space .... also LST plants tend to get woody stems quicker due to the low stress bending which can make it difficult to root

A long lanky plant would be ideal IMO as there is a long stalk and good spacing on the branches ... but like I said many ways to skin a cat .... experiment and see what works best for you!

neongreen

Veteran
A long lanky plant would be ideal IMO as there is a long stalk and good spacing on the branches

Exactly. If you have a shady corner in a grow room/cab/tent, what better way of utilizing otherwise wasted space than throwing a few plants there for a few months before outdoor season starts, and you'll have a few plants that are ideal for layering by the start of the outdoor season.

My timing was a bit off this year, but I did manage to layer a 1.5 ft (would have preferred around 3+ ft) clone in a bed at the start of the month. Will try to post a few pics soon...

thedudefresco

This technique is standard for tomato plants. When you buy a tomato plant, you strip all the leaves from the stem except for the top 4 inches or so. Then, instead of planting it straight into the ground, you dig a trench and lay the tomato rootball and plant sideways. You then cover the rootball and stem with soil, and bend the leafy section of the stem up so it kind of looks like an L if it was rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. The idea is that the stem will become a root system. I've always planted this way with tomatoes but I'm not sure if the cannabis plant would react the same way. I'm not positive but i'm pretty sure you don't plant pepper like this, for example.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Peppers, eggplant no they can be slightly deeper but with their woody stems they are more prone to rot and not give additional roots. Cucumbers and squash you can slightly deeper but the same as tomatoes but more than peppers as long as your soil is well drained.

NENugger

picture.php

Here is my attempt with a Durban on it's side. Roots on left, top on right. Middle branches already taller. The nodes aren't as far apart so it is pretty company. We'll see what happens.

Betterhaff

Veteran
This technique is standard for tomato plants...

...I've always planted this way with tomatoes but I'm not sure if the cannabis plant would react the same way.
It works well with cannabis although I don’t necessarily plant the root ball and stem on an angle, just plant them deeper. I don’t think feeder roots are developed but roots develop (can’t remember the proper name for them) and it does make for a strong foundation. Ever notice root nubs on the stems just above the soil line with some cannabis plants.