What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yes I really live on an Island with a tribe of Natives

demasoni

Incredible thread masamaaso thank you for sharing. I'm also envious, your living the dream! it seems like it's well worth the "sacrifices" of leaving western civilization.
These days you probably aren't sacrificing much anyways, especially in the way of freedom. Over there seems more like the way things should be.

Fresh water: I may have missed this, do you have some springs out of the mountain? did you setup a filtration system?

Did you bring your kabar with you or did you get that off a ship?

Have you ever considered a 50. and some high powered optics to thwart anyone wishing to exploit and raid?

It doesn't take long for some big business man to come along and make an offer, and once you decline, a "clean up crew" is sent in leaving no one to object. I know you're very familiar with this, I just want some reassurance.. Please tell me your island and the surrounding are aware of the threat and prepared for these internationally employed tactics? (look at the amazon)
Sorry for the dark change of subject matter there... I just worry about the few remaining places like your home and its people.

On a lighter note,
Great photography. those pics are out of this world surreal, I'm feelin it not just seein it.

How about the amphibian population there, whats the common tree frog there, any pics?

enjoy coffee harvest!

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Such an adventure! Keep it coming. Thankyou so much for sharing, it gives one good dreams in the concrete jungle.

N

noyd666

hi masamaaso, ozy tv this morning some clown predicting world will run out of coffee. not good, im' up to at least 12 or so cups aday.

MJBadger

Veteran
predicting world will run out of coffee. not good, im' up to at least 12 or so cups aday.

If it gets really bad for you there,s this bloke on an island growing his own , he could send you a few tips .

Daft ain`t it ? i drink about 12 cups of tea a day + the odd coffee but i do know how difficult a time you`ll have if you ever try & cut right down . People i know have really suffered withdrawl badly . Suppose caffine is a bigger drug than a lot of people realise .

masamaaso

Veteran
Sippin' on some joe right now, enjoying looking at tropical beauty, wishing my Puerto Rican uncle would get on it and send me some coffee from his plantation!
Hello Sm ,,always good to see ya on board..

" BROWN ELIXER OF THE GODS"

yessir!!!

I like my coffee like I like my... well, coffee... Black and first thing in the morning!

great photos masa...

I like mine sweet brown and bold,,just like my wife...

masa,

what covers the ground in the clear areas? sod, alfalfa, what? jw

Most of what you see there is a brooad leaf centipede grass, the cows and goats keep it trimed short,when its all cleaned for feista it looks great,theres also some nice looking bermuda grasses here grows very low over rocky soil like a carpet,,I tryed to bring some to the house for my lil yard but it didnt take,,I have a 9 iron that I used to chip around here with but I shanked all my balls in the deep shit,,every now and then someone will find one,but its been awhile..

Such an adventure! Keep it coming. Thankyou so much for sharing, it gives one good dreams in the concrete jungle.

Good to see ya lad, find yer self a bunk below, theres papers on the bench, new guy has to roll for the rest f the crew.:ying:

hi masamaaso, ozy tv this morning some clown predicting world will run out of coffee. not good, im' up to at least 12 or so cups aday.

PISH YOU SAY,,, If memory serves me right(less I need a quick google search) it was in the late 90s the same things were being said,, jacking the price almost double,,,probly same shit again.
I havent paid for coffee in over 4 years or more,, 2 100 kilo sacks keeps me in Bean juice for a year, add a sack of cocao beans and Im good.....

masamaaso

Veteran
Incredible thread masamaaso thank you for sharing. I'm also envious, your living the dream! it seems like it's well worth the "sacrifices" of leaving western civilization.
These days you probably aren't sacrificing much anyways, especially in the way of freedom. Over there seems more like the way things should be.

Fresh water: I may have missed this, do you have some springs out of the mountain? did you setup a filtration system?

Did you bring your kabar with you or did you get that off a ship?

Have you ever considered a 50. and some high powered optics to thwart anyone wishing to exploit and raid?

It doesn't take long for some big business man to come along and make an offer, and once you decline, a "clean up crew" is sent in leaving no one to object. I know you're very familiar with this, I just want some reassurance.. Please tell me your island and the surrounding are aware of the threat and prepared for these internationally employed tactics? (look at the amazon)
Sorry for the dark change of subject matter there... I just worry about the few remaining places like your home and its people.

On a lighter note,
Great photography. those pics are out of this world surreal, I'm feelin it not just seein it.

How about the amphibian population there, whats the common tree frog there, any pics?

enjoy coffee harvest!

Hello I wanted to give you a seperate responce,,, youve brough up a good topic.

First ,,water stuff like that your now forced to read from the begining, a tip given to me from on high as to not keep going over the same topics,,,go ahead,,,Ive been told its a good read(you guys are bored:laughing:)....
Ive had the K-bar since I was 17,got on summer vacation at Parris Island S.C. the year before I left F.U. I dont sleep with it as much as I used to. wife understood when we first got here and probly approved but a few years ago it started sleeping on the bed rail, close enough I could put my hand on it,,and my wife was getting tired of it poking her when she would roll over at night..

Couple of Barret 50s ??? If yer gonna go,,,,GO BIG EH ????
The threat is everyday,,,Most of the islands in the part of the world are all ready f*ked, and the business man you speak of,,, his name,,,GOVERNMENT,,, most if not all of the exploiting done to these places is by the govs that claim the islands and the people on it as theirs,, In this area its the Indo gov that rapes the land and people but in the same breath claims to be protecting them,, the clean up crew you spoke of ,,,Indo gun boats and light attack craft(guess who supplied those ???) patrol a 200 N/mile EEZ, and claim everything within that 200 miles.

The same can be said about the Orgs than have placed them selves in charge of protecting the places like this,, if you ask ,,most here will tell you ,,"they did not ask for anyone to come here and protect them,,and will ask you then ,,,why are they here ?"
Mining,,gold and nickle,, does slave labor exist today ?? where men women and kids (lots of kids) get bought and sold daily to work in fast cut mines ???
You betcha, I'll give it to the Indos and the Fils,,both countries have cut into the human trafficing trade pretty good but it still goes on 3 days boat ride from here. After being sold they get um hooked on Meth to keep um in line and not run off, meth is one of the biggest scurrges in Asia.
Want to do something about yourself ?? stop buying cheap made gold and nickle jewerly, all of what gets mined goes to china and then into cheap ass bullshit trinkets.

The biggest reason They havent done to this Archipelgo what theyve done to others,Honestly I dont know,,,,I do know These people really will go off, and even knowing their no match for automatic weapons will go into a fight knowing they'll die.
A lot of men have left in the few years Ive been here, lured by the gold and money,,some come back ,most dont...

And since ya asked There are several tree frogs,, some poisonous.
They one I like Is a big bright green one that jumps a good 8-10 upwards and can cling to anything.. And get really loud.
I'll try for some fotos for ya...

demasoni

Forced to read from the beginning!? I've enjoyed every page start to finish, just can't remember some things.

Indo gun boats and light attack craft(guess who supplied those ???)
hmmm I wonder...what a mystery.

Yessir go big. a handful of barettts with a some able bodies trained to use them, get some of those "special" rounds if you can, ones that will fix those gun boats up just right know what I mean. never know what you may have to do someday.
Sick to hear first hand about the human trafficking, slave labor, and meth. sadly its right in line with other horror stories of todays slave trade we only hear about when we READ ( instead of watching Faux, CSPIN or any other CON). Only time THEY mention your parts is to portray the "hero" organizations coming to "civilize the savages" by bringing "proper medical care", "protect the indigenous from exploitation, preserve culture" while "introducing sustainable and effective farming methods"...contradictory BULLSHIT.
if you ask ,,most here will tell you ,,"they did not ask for anyone to come here and protect them,,and will ask you then ,,,why are they here ?"
Hopefully your archipelago keeps the reputation of the one you just don't mess with.

About the tree frog- I think I might know who your talking about, is it the goliath? pics would be awesome

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Have you showed any of your dog photos here?

Here is my new pup, 10 weeks old, 25lbs (12 kilo)
picture.php

How do you roast that coffee man?

masamaaso

Veteran
OooooOOOOoooooo... you're under Indonesian governance...? Mhm.

They seem to make the biggest claims to here, Malaysia and the republic of Palau claim it as well,,Palaus got the biggest resonable claim because of geographic location but lack the resources to do any thing about it, and the Indos got the "backing" and the resources to do something,, they want the natural gas and of course any oil rights from the semi shallow back waters of the Archipelago, and just to toss some real shit in the game the chinese are making "ancestral" claims the the intire area as far west as the opening to the Pacific.

Have you showed any of your dog photos here?

Here is my new pup, 10 weeks old, 25lbs (12 kilo)
View Image

How do you roast that coffee man?

Hey man whats up,,,thats one good looking pup.
I havent tossed any fotos of Sky up yet but will after the coffee rant,,I was telling someone awhile back he deserves his own slice of the thread.

We're about to the end of the coffee rant, it was leaving to head back I got washed under crossing the river and sunk with my camera, Ive been told the scene had some humor to it,, I was almost to the other side where the water gets fast, I was carrying my wifes big cloth bag (with cam in it) in my left hand and an Orchid planted in a half coconut shell,, It was given to me the morning we were leaving by the family we stayed with,, it was in my right hand. They say when I got pulled under all they could see sticking out of the water was my forearm and the orchid looking like a flowering log floating away, it got wet ,,but didnt go under,, wife wanted to know why I chose to hold the flower out of the water and not her bag,, I had no answer, It wasent until later I found out she had some "personal care" items in the bag that I will say are a pain in the ass to get, and please dont ask what the native women do during those times,, just figure out what yould do and im sure its close enough.
Back in the ville its time to get to drying the cherrys,, takes 5-6 day of strong sun to dry um out for cracking,,Sorry but I did lose some fotos when the cam went under so we'll all have to see this in our "minds eye".
When the cherrys get good and brittle they get cracked to expose the bean, theres a few ways of doing this,,and it has to be done without breaking the bean, The long way is to spread a few handfulls out on a bamboo mat then rock and sorta roll a smooth round river stone over the dried cherries till they crack, this method lets you see what your doing and is the method of choice of someone preparing the beans for themselves, it gives you sight and feel of what your doing but takes days to crack one sack (100kl), the other method is the same as kitchens all over the world,,a mortar and pestle, it takes some practice to get it right but once you get the feel for the cracking bean it goea alot faster,and you can crack a sack in a day.
The green bean gets cleaned a little and layed out for a day or so to get any left over water out of the bean, after a day or so its sacked up in 100 kilo sacks and stored hanging off the ground on bamboo racks in a big hut. They store um hanging so the rats dont have a fiesta one night, and someone will stay with the coffee until its been divided amongst the ville, everyone gets some with no exceptions,,even the guys missing a few fingers here and there get some,,,just not as much as they might like..

Roasting the beans is one of my favorite parts in the process of going from cherry on a tree to my cup,,

Now,, this is where doing some of that northern virginia community collage level research pays off when ya wanna learn the ins and outs of the coffee bean and how to get the most out of the bean.
The native women do most of the roasting and each will tell you she has a secret way of doing it and some wont let others watch while shes roasting, like my wifes mom,,,I know this woman loves me,,,but dam if she wont run off and hide when shes roasting her beans, and one day we might be alowed to learn what it is she does, for now I try to Imulate her beans with mine, this is what I call Native Artisian Coffee, and makes its play in a big way, ,,,she whos roasted coffee beans that get selected to be "gifted to the spirits" will be queen bee of the ville until next season. Coffee is the king staple next to corn and rice and gets taken real serious. Some blend it with other things,while roasting and when grinding,,,what ?? I dunno,,,its a secret, and it all starts in the roast,,Ive seen it light brown to burnt black, and tasted it in the entire spectrum, some I liked some I didnt, of course never let on that the coffee youve just been very proudly served SUUUUUUCKS...:ying:

Attachments

• IMGP0244.jpg
    IMGP0244.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMGP0066.jpg
    IMGP0066.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMGP0065.jpg
    IMGP0065.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 13
S

SeaMaiden

Uh... why does how many fingers one has determine how much coffee you get in the 'ville'?

Sucks about your camera, even suckier about her feminine items.

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
i wonder if you keep the story when you were at the dr in europe till the last , or you just forgot about it.....

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I have been around plenty of fresh coffee in my life and I know that the second most important thing is the roast. Starbuck sucks for instance, it taste burnt.

Green81

Veteran
Missing fingers meant you have been a thief and thus require less coffee. He mentioned they leave the right hand to be able to feed themselves.

Incredible read, bring on the next chapter!

masamaaso

Veteran
Uh... why does how many fingers one has determine how much coffee you get in the 'ville'?

Sucks about your camera, even suckier about her feminine items.

Yea camera took a hit,,,but dried out and is now back in action the memory card that had the rest of the farm fotos on it didnt make it...I'm still on the hunt for a GoPro Hero III,,gotta have one,they go anywhere even under water,played with one 2 years ago and it was the shit then,, its evolved twice to the GP3 and are not that expencive,,getting one here is, Im gonna get one soon just dont know how yet.

There were a few things my wife refused to go with out and thats still at the top of her list, and out of all the worlds manufactured crap that floats through, past and near here on every size cargo and container ship you can think of,,that is one thing never on any, not even if I wanted to buy an entire container,,, its a line of products that never seems to be aboard any of them and theres not a lot of female mariners.
Keep in mind I am in not making light or joking on the situation, its a fact of life we have to deal with, And heres where a lil extra age and experince help out,,, I know its a big deal to her,,so I make it a priority when the time comes, and im not shy about it, I got no problem going to food loin and grabbing a pack of whats needed so hunting um down here is nothing, biggest score is cruise ships thats when I load up and private yachtes,, except you'd think with all the women on board ??? its still an item in short supply,,,and yea,,,they could be holding out but usually have a bit of whats needed,,takes um a minute to get over the fact a blue eyed white man with a bunch of native kids just paddled up next to their billion dollar boat.
And hey,,,If I was gonna joke and make fun Id tell ya about the time shopping with ex wife #3.

Dont be standing back by the meat section in food lion and spot yer wife at the other end of the store by the cash registers, and yell out " Hey,,did you want the extra absorbancy tampons or the deoderate"
At least it wasent a long walk back to the house....

i wonder if you keep the story when you were at the dr in europe till the last , or you just forgot about it.....
Im confused Mop, and forgeting shits exceptable now that im semi responsibleless,,splian what ya mean we'll sort it.:ying:

I have been around plenty of fresh coffee in my life and I know that the second most important thing is the roast. Starbuck sucks for instance, it taste burnt.

Ive never been a bucks fan myself, for the money and conveniance in the states 7-11 coffee is hard to beat,,youll get the same coffee in LA that you got 2 days ago in DC.
If I had a choice right now Id be at Dave & SeaMaidens place,,they like it from the area I spent the better part of the 80s and 90s in and have the finest hand picked beans in the world,,,yummy highland S.A. coffees.

Missing fingers meant you have been a thief and thus require less coffee. He mentioned they leave the right hand to be able to feed themselves.

Incredible read, bring on the next chapter!

You are spot on there lad I'll be sure to have the quartermaster add a few extra nugs to yer pinch tray this evening.
Next chapter ????
Honestly,,I never intended this to go like it did,but for me its turned into something else,,,,its kinda like having someone to get stoned with...
:pirate:

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
i ment this bro.

“sir you obliviously have a means of support and the information you gave us checked out with the VA,,,, then he goes into saying that there were a lot of help groups and organizations for men who turn to drugs and alcohol and how self destruction was not a path to take,, bla bla bla,, bla bla bla,,,,,,,, As I was eyeballing the 2 questioning to myself why I couldnt get 2 hottie nurses I faded him out and it hit me,,,
I just traveled 2 days over an island mountain, 3 days on a shitty little fishing boat and 21 hours on 2 planes.
I HADN’T HAD A BATH IN A WEEK and I guess I did look a bit worn, and I’m gonna go ahead and say yea,,, I’m sure I smelled a bit. When the doc paused to see if I was listening to him (I wasn’t) I pointed and asked what the 2 nurses were for?, he says there here to clean you up and give you a bath,,, DUUUUUH…………
He motioned for them to get started and I told him to wait a minute,
I told him where I just came from, and what I had to do to get there,,,, He walked away giving me the same look the Docs at Bethesda give ya when they think your hiding something from them.

I want to know how it ended...

S

SeaMaiden

Yeah, share some tokes and talk some story. Good times.

That's because it IS burnt. To a crisp. They do that so they can use inferior beans yet still make a consistent product. They are *not* into anything resembling 'artisanal'.

I want to try roasting in a big wok, but I want Old Mama to show me how it's done. I bet she's a lot more bendy than I am, too, and I bet her knees work!

nvthis

Honestly,,I never intended this to go like it did,but for me its turned into something else,,,,its kinda like having someone to get stoned with...
:pirate:

Good show, Masa :D Haha, hey! Some of us knew this was gonna be good from the first page! ;)

MJBadger

Veteran
Hey,,did you want the extra absorbancy tampons or the deoderate"

That did make me laugh coz it reminded me of my old mate Guerrilla Grower , he was having some problems & at the Pharmacy counter with his presription , big queue behind him the pharmacy girl asks in a loud voice .
" Have you ever had an enema before Mr H****** ? ".

Why is it we can always laugh at other peoples embarresment ?