What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WTF is wrong with my plants?

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
I may create a Big Beaver Indica thread seeing it's one of my original strains that nobody has yet.
I used RSC Sherberghan males along with an older strain to create it over a year ago. It flowers
faster than anything else I have and should be a good Hash Plant.
happy-cuteness-overload-l.png

Ca++

Seeing the soil had pests I decided to bring 1 pot of soil in from the cold shed and try
this soil sterilizing oven method. If it works it will save me a lot of money and headaches
instead of hauling soil back home via a transit bus again. It's not like the soil was full of
roots so it should be easy to do this. I'll try it with 4 plants and see how it goes.

I have baked expended clay balls. You need a lot of trays, and a few days to cycle through a meaningful amount.

See how this bag opens, with a zipper a bit like a suitcase?
iu

The bag is useless, but this method of opening is golden. A 70L bag of this design, will easily let a bag of compost slip in. It should also have internal straps to compresses the load, which in the case of a compost bag, is like putting two belts around it. The compost bag won't just slump to the bottom, it will stay in shape.
If you are not familiar with hiking packs, the idea is the waist strap is where all the weight sits, on your hips. No weight is on your shoulders. The shoulder straps only keep the bag upright.
I have friends who just can't get this right. I lend them a bag, and they come back with bad shoulders and a load that looks ridiculous, hanging off their arse, where it's not manageable. It's repetitive. I have to load the bags myself when we do our gorilla bit, or they wouldn't get there. The right bag, packed properly, will keep the compost close to your back, with it's weight on your hips. You can walk miles with it.
The wrong bag is useless. I have some top/bottom opening bags that can work, but loading a flat sack into a tubular bag is a fight.
Fitting the bag to your stature is everything. Get the weight off your shoulders, on to your hips, and it becomes nothing.
Soil is meant to have bio-life, and baking it will turn soluble goodies, into rock. There is also a limit to how often you want to do it. I would get a fresh bag. Even girls can carry one, with the right backpack

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
I'm using specialized polypropylene bags that can be used for sterilizing mushroom substrate
in a pressure cooker to sterilize my soil in my oven. I left the tops open to allow steam and any
pressure out. 90 minutes at 190°F and finish with 10 minutes at 210°F. I leave them in the oven
until they cool down. I can fit 9 bags in my oven. Sure beats using a shallow tray.

Btw: Don't do this with people around. It smells real earthy now. Window is open now. :ROFLMAO:

Soil Sterilization​

full

troutman

Seed Whore
Plants are looking good and soon I make a thread about them. ;)

I think cleaning everything out, placing the soil in the cold shed for a few days
to freeze the soil and then using the oven trick cooked whatever parasite was
bothering my previous plants really worked.

Ongoing grows for years is also another thing that pests like.

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts