What's new

WTF is w/feminized genetics,

E

elmanito

Well the only reason that i dislike fems is cuz i actually like being able to get males to make other crosses etc

Actually you can make crosses with fems of course, but i'm still convinced that males are needed to avoid deleterious mutations in a variety.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

B

BrianBadonde

but dont you agree ,,??,,,,,,,if DJ used more males in his final breeding ,,,he might give us some repair mechinisms too,,,so maybe we could avoid the mutant factor without having to outcross?

No, though the inbreeding you suggest could cause CMS

B

BrianBadonde

Actually you can make crosses with fems of course, but i'm still convinced that males are needed to avoid deleterious mutations in a variety.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

nosense I have docs to prove this do you? sometimes M/F mating can be the prob with regards to this.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mutation has never shown to improve anything,,,,its snp`s that cause positive vaireiance,,,

Gerrit

Or in other words, if there is any published work that confirms that statement, or if you have any personal/practical experience that supports that theory.

As if you are "convinced" by nothing more that a "gut feeling", it has little value.

Gerrit

do you think we need mutated genes?

Well, I dont think that's what he implied, but I'm sure he can speak for himself.

But not every mutation is bad from all/every perspective though.
I can imagine a mutation which is very bad for the species but very welcome for the grower.
A mutation that would inhibit seed forming would be a god bless for the outdoor grower, especially when hemp becomes more popular and they are close to a field.
It would eradicate more worry and headache than feminised seeds ever can.
A combination of those 2 would be perfect (for the grower that is)
Just a little fantasy to "widen up" the thoughts.

Gerrit

Feral hemp!!!

That's not really what I would call elaborate, what do you expect me to do, google it and figure it out myself?
I'm only asking out of genuine interest, not to start a pissing contest.
I would appreciate it a lot if you could be a bit more specific than "feral hemp"

What exactly have you (or others) discovered/experienced in/with feral hemp, and how did that convince you that males are needed to avoid deleterious mutations in a variety?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Guest423

Veteran
A mutation that would inhibit seed forming would be a god bless for the outdoor grower, especially when hemp becomes more popular and they are close to a field.

Now that would definitely be a great mutation.

I grow in an area that is LOADED with Feral Hemp, Every strain or clone I've ever talked about I have crossed with Feral Hemp, not on purpose but just because its in the air, no matter what your gonna get some seeds from Feral Hemp pollen.

I've mastered the art of using cornfields as shields to block pollen as much as possible, other outdoor growers crops are packed with beans like some mexi brick. Mine, I'll get a 4-5 beans in an ounce, which is pretty much unheard of around here, while thier wispy buds are in seed mode mine are still getting dense as hell.

Respect to the people that actually post their real thoughts under their real handles, I've always got a kick out of the people that make multiple handles so they can act out or step out of the box without people knowing it was them. Grow a pair of balls ladies.

EDIT- Check out my first post in this thread about Feral Hemp, check out the video in the link I left. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=171274

Gerrit

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info, it does sound interesting, I might have a look at it after all.

im not confrontational,,,,

Is that serious or cinical?

To be honest, I had the impression you are but I can be wrong, I don't know you well enough to take a firm position on that.
But as far as I remember you do have a way of making strong statements without proper backing/foundation, don't you consider that to be confrontational?
Forgive me if I misinterpret the word.

If the above is confrontational by itself, I better go watch that film right away, as it's not meant to be :tiphat:

F

freefields

Oh, I never thought Gerrit was doing anything wrong, just making the point that rick isn't here for any reason other than to learn, the bickering, confrontation and hatred is best left to people like hempy who do it so well, it's all they can do well probably.

So getting back to the topic at hand, has anyone ever tried applying a CS solution to the rootzone of a plant to reverse it's sexual expression?

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gerrit is a respected member of ICMag and the cannabis community,, a professional cannabis breeder ,, with experience working with feminized seeds / genetics. Please show more respect folks! Please remember that Gerrit is having the courtesy to chat to you in English,, unless you'd sooner discuss this complex subject with him in Dutch :D

Throwing allegorical stones at ANY member,, like cave trolls,, doesn't help the thread,, knowledge on this subject of feminized seeds / genetics,, or the IC community in general.

Hope this helps

- - -

Back on track...

We dont advocate feminized seeds ,, because we think males are important,, however 80% of the feminized seedlines we tested recently (post 2008) for Dutch and Spanish seedbanks (Magus included) produced nice plants with the same standard of quality in buds. The other 20% were a waste of soil or complete fodder... but we wont mention them.

Gerrit

has anyone ever tried applying a CS solution to the rootzone of a plant to reverse it's sexual expression

I don't know if it's done with cannabis but I do know (or vaguely remember) that something similar is done with other plants, not exactly like that but at the base of the plant/roots using a syringe.
It crossed my mind to experiment with it but I was happy enough to finally get a working schedule, concentration, and timing using the "conventional method" so I left it at that.

Maybe it's about time someone experiments with it, how bout you?
It would be interesting to watch/follow.

Latest posts

Latest posts