What's new

WTF is w/feminized genetics,

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chimera, let me ask you this....what would be the difference in using a proven female and hitting it with five separate male siblings in an attempt to increase diversity, and say using the same proven female and hitting her with 5 of her sister's pollen? Would not the same numbers be expected?

Last edited by a moderator:
U

unthing

It means using just 2 plants to breed/reproduce instead of, say multiple males pollinating female(s) or open pollination etc. Simple cross with one (fe)male and one female is 1:1

pretty good question. would crossing a 1 female to 1male of same strain be considered 1;1.... 1:1 feminized does limit the genetic diversity that strain has to offer. which is a good point. but I guess that 1:1 could be used to stablize/traits for personal use strains.

Last edited by a moderator:

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
I buy 3 packs of Sensi star fems each spring. I take 27 stable, consistent females into the field. They have excellent vigor and potency and each plant produces 8-10 ozs. Thats why femminized seed have practically taken over the industry.
Theories abound, but practical results and reality can reveal the shortcommings of theoretical thinking.

For someone who only had mexican seed in the 60's, i look around now and see indoor/outdoor, hybrids,polyhybrids, early flowerers, autoflowers, feminized, big, compact and on and on. I say YAHOO! to the innovators and the explorerers sailing into the unknown and POOPOO!! on the conservative old fuddy duddies hanging on to tradition and the belief that the status quo is good enough. Not for me.

ONward and UPward to the new frontier and power to the visionaires!! Dare to go where no breeder has gone before!!!! Dont believe things are as good as they can get: the future belongs to the dreamers!!!!

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Ive grown SS for years stagger lee. The regular seeds have great variation. Although all of the pheno's are good, they're still all over the place and require a pheno hunt for your personal preference. For someone wanting a 1 of a kind mom, thats where to look. But for a grower that just wants to plant seeds and harvest top notch smoke, the fems are great.

The fems are a bit different than the regs. There are 2 pheno's;

1. A christmas tree that grows to 7'. It finishes here at 36N around Sept 20. It yeilds about 6-8 ozs of top notch smoke. The plants have good vigor and good disease resistance.

2. The second pheno is a bush that grows to about 5', but nodal spacing is tight and yields can be significant- close to a lb under optimum conditions, but those are tough to ahcieve. This pheno finishes Oct 18 and is just slightly more potent than the other and has a more fuelish taste. The nodal spacing on this plant is so close, that i will prune 1/2 of all lateral branches off of the plant in late june. This reduces yeild slightly, but it opens the plant up so that mould and disease have less favorable conditions. Indoors, this pheno yeilds big.

Stagger lee, ive grown over 100 strains outdoors since the late 90's. Mostly indica's. Ive grown Black domina, Herijuana, Sour bubble, Lui, bubba and Og - you name the famous indica and ive grown it outside. Without question, SS is more potent than any other strain ive ever grown. When i dump a small jar of SS on my tray, by the time ive smoked it up there is a pile of resin glands in my tray that will roll an entire joint. It is a hashmakers dream and produces more resin than any plant ive ever grown. After growing 25 - 30 packs of the stuff, its still at the top of my indica list. There might be a more potent indica strain, but somebody would have to show it to me because i havent found it.

OldPork

Stagger lee, ive grown over 100 strains outdoors since the late 90's. Mostly indica's. Ive grown Black domina, Herijuana, Lui, bubba and Og - you name the famous indica and ive grown it. Without question, SS is more potent than any other strain ive ever grown. When i dump a small jar of SS on my tray, by the time ive smoked it up there is a pile of resin glands in my tray that will roll an entire joint. It is a hashmakers dream and produces more resin than any plant ive ever grown. After growing 25 - 30 packs of the stuff, its still at the top of my list.

This is exactly the type of information I scour the forums for and hardly ever find...good, solid, straightforward and firsthand commentry by experienced growers. I have no doubt that femmed Sensi Star is a winner now and I will add it right to the top of my wishlist. I am assuming we are talking about Paradise Sensi Star? PM me if you can tell me anything more about this strain, at $92 for a 5 pack of fems it's expesive, but worth it if it give me what I am after. Thanks for sharing Dr. Toker.

JNewton

I have mixed feelings about fem seeds
I wouldn't buy them but I got a freebie pack
my cab is still being built but I started anyway
out of six seeds 4 reg 2 fem I ended up with1 reg
and the 2 fems making it so far then the hermies
hit and I stared picking balls off the plants that hermied
getting ready to leave town for a week so I pulled the plants
that grew balls the only one that didn't hermie was from the
fem seed hope it stays that way till I get back

Baba Ku

Veteran
Arjan himself says its full of seeds, lol. I hope this sets the score regarding the risk of wasting your precious sensimilla crop when using feminized seeds.

Arjan himself? lol...As if the guy is some sort of authority in the cannabis breeding world. Look, the guy isn't anybody special really. Nothing more than a businessman capitalizing in on a product in a clandestine niche. He is no breeder...and it's probably a stretch to actually call him a grower.
His success has nothing to do with his breeding prowess, or visa-versa.

What it shows for sure is that his selection team made a piss poor selection for parents when they bred the seeds in question...nothing more, nothing less.
The very same danger to the very same landrace crop exists be it a standard or feminized variety introduced onto the population...that is, if you want to call the results dangerous.

BTW...find me a landrace population that does not have a good percentage of plants that express the intersex trait, and I'll kiss your ass. But I won't kiss your mule.

E

elmanito

The males are no good said the local Indian farmer to the Italian guy in the video :laughing:

The environment inside is totally different than outside high in the mountains with UV (HPS doesn't have any UV), higher humidity & any other stress factors.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

bigAl25

Veteran
Dear DS Toker, Thanks for the comments about sensi star from Paradise. After some research I obtained some fems of sensi star, ice cream and white berry. I only do small indoor grows with 2 400 watt mixed MH/HPS in organic soil. I am really stoked about my next run and it will be sensi star. Looking forward to a resin coated jubilee of buds. Peace and respect.

imsilly

Why needs fems when you can clone?

I'd rather have males and females so I can breed my own line of batches.. this way I can both play and and gain experiences at the same time :blowbubbles:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
imsilly, some applications are seed dependent. If you like to work your own strains, fem eliminates the need for best male selection. Introducing male pollen re-rolls the genetic dice. Fem methods might enhance expression consistency vs non-worked conventional pollination.

Haven't tried em personally.

Latest posts

Latest posts