What's new

WTF is w/feminized genetics,

localhero

Just thought id jump in here, really i dont know why. cant sleep.

I grew out some hindu kush feminized seeds and was almost fucked because one was a male. when u get unfemmed seeds, youre on the lookout for the males. so that false sense of security had my guard down. i mean its not like a male is gonna hide in plain site for long lol i guess it just got my hopes up since he was my favorite of the 10 seeds, so much bigger and more vigorous. i dont have a clue as to who the breeder was so that ofcourse plays a role.

i dont see why feminized seeds tho in general are the end of the world. in fact my first uneducated and conspiracy theorized impression of them was that breeders were trying to keep people from using males to start their own breeding projects. also i dont know why but i was thinking femd meant stable lol like clones of the mom. and out of the remaining 9 femd seeds from the hindu, they all had their differences.

the only common sense anti femme argument ive heard is from using light stress to produce hermies. meaning youll get a plant that could be more prone to herm under stress. but thats all in selection from the start, using a hermie prone plant so why wouldnt hermy traits get passed?

conclusion: just because its femmed doesnt mean you shouldnt be on the lookout for males. i can imagine how bummed id have been if i was a guerrilla grower who just chucked young plants into a field and could only visit every so often.

and the question: i wonder what the genetics of the male from femmed seeds was like. would it be the same as any male? just wondering if there is anything interesting going on with the .001% male. has anyone bred with this uberman, the one who had the courage to be the bull in a field of cows, the rarest of the rare?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If a male shows up, it has to be a mutation. You cannot get blood out of a turnip.
I would be highly suspect of ANY male showing up from a feminized batch of seeds. Although I would be interested in hearing an explanation of how that sort of metamorphosis takes place.
What you most likely see is a hermie gene showing itself. And that is a parental selection issue, for the most part. But even well selected parent plants can (most likely will) pass on the intersex gene, even if deep latent it is still there and could fully express at any time without probable cause.

Also not knowing the breeding/breeder can be a problem. And even then, things happen.
Last summer I got some femmed autos out of curiosity, and planted just one outdoors.
After some time it was obvious the plant was not an auto, and being highly suspect of the plant to begin with, I kept a close eye on it. As it was, it was a full on male of about 6' in stature. These seeds were bought from a reputable breeder...however they screwed the pooch on this one and had the WRONG SEEDS in the packs for whatever reason. They made good on them, and what I finally got was what I originally thought I had purchased.
(the real deals sucked...the worst MJ plants I have ever grown bar none...but all female)
That male had nothing to do with genetics, and everything to do with bonehead.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
a stressful grow environment can influences males and herms from standard and feminized genetics.
You are trying to remember what you read in some book, but you are only close with no cigar. A hermi will be coaxed to the surface with stress, as we should all know, but I want you to show me how stress brings about a male from feminized seed stock.
Simple task, and you seem to have all the books. Find us something that backs up stress causing males to show in fem seeds. I want you to quote it verbatim for us, and give us links so we can check out your references.
If you aren't willing to do that for us, then I have to assume you really aren't serious about this issue, and are only trolling for post count.
Hey, and if I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it and will not hesitate to tell all just who straightened me out. (lol...can you hear my screen name being called out in your head?..lol)

Tom Hill

Veteran
You are not looking at a male born out of a gynoecious selection program, ever. What you are looking at is a mostly male intersexed plant born out of an intersexed selection program. Here's the news, you're often looking at the same fucking thing whenever you grow seeds from your "real" breeders "M/F" selection program, only you just don't know it. -T

Guest423

Veteran
I've grown out thousands of S1's and hybrids made by a selfed parent and haven't seen a male yet.

Most of the ones I've grown were outside and I haven't had a hermie yet either, a couple friends reported a couple hermies indoors with larger runs. It seems plants hermie easier indoors more so then outdoors, in 15 or so years of growing I've only seen outdoor hermies 1 time from some KC Brains stock back n the day.

D

Dalaihempy

I've grown out thousands of S1's and hybrids made by a selfed parent and haven't seen a male yet.

Most of the ones I've grown were outside and I haven't had a hermie yet either, a couple friends reported a couple hermies indoors with larger runs. It seems plants hermie easier indoors more so then outdoors, in 15 or so years of growing I've only seen outdoor hermies 1 time from some KC Brains stock back n the day.

That is bull shit mate to say your going to see more hermies showing up in indoor grows to out doors is just WRONG.

The fact many growers have seen and posted there finding right across the boards from fem seeds that had in fact had there fem seeds hermie out both indoors and out doors is something many of the fem seed supporters love to dance around.

CFP65

iwe been reading this thread with great interest and have some questions i hope someone can ansver.
i have made up this scematics tom make the questions more comprihensable.
scematics.jpg

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i got a male in some fem seeds once,,,,

coctail frank got a male in the same seedline,,,,,

i kept my fem-male thinking it was a mirical,,,,,,,after 8 months as a cutting,,,,i put it into an NFT system and boosted the silica,,,,,,,somehow this fem-male turned ALL FEMALE,,,,after 8 months screeming about a mirical , the mirical had vanished!!,,,,,,,i was stumped

GMT and charlesX told me it was an extreem hermi from day 1,,,,,,when it vanished i relized GMT had allready given the expanation,,,,,

but coctail frank used his male ,,,and his progeny split into 50/50 males and females,,

so ,,,the mirical is still alive

C

charlie garcia

Ive seens different variances as result of using a male from S1, guess some may work well but sometimes is a mess too. Some offspring turned most males, other most females. Few hermis as well. Working offspring from some orignal S1s made a better male to female ratio, maybe 40/60%. Sometimes you can go nuts trying to accomplish balanced results.. and to understand whats going on ;)

B

Buffoonman

I also agree you get more plants going hermie indoors. I have a big bag of seeds that always go hermie indoors but hardly produce any seeds outdoors.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think ALL S1`s are female,,,,,its just easy to make some inderviduals look ALL male,,,,in my experence with some inderviduals i didnt need a hormone blocker to create an ALL MALE expreshion,,,,,low levels of silica and just a few tweeks in hydro created a "full-on" perpetual expreshion change " AN ALL MALE PLANT".........its like the clown fish imo,,,,,,,they are real hermis

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is bull shit mate to say your going to see more hermies showing up in indoor grows to out doors is just WRONG.

The fact many growers have seen and posted there finding right across the boards from fem seeds that had in fact had there fem seeds hermie out both indoors and out doors is something many of the fem seed supporters love to dance around.
Hempy, you tend to bring facts from the board that you cannot show us. And the thing is, just because someone states something on this board, hardly makes it relevant other than it adding a slight bit of anecdotal evidence.

The fact is that an indoor grow is a stress of sorts, and to not understand that means you probably don't understand the rest of the issue. Which is fine, you don't really have to understand the issue, and can keep throwing in useless bits flavored with voodoo and hearsay. But others will continue to correct you and show you are so wrong. Does that make you feel special? Wouldn't you rather know what is really going on, rather than to make up some conclusion in your head and stick to it no matter what?
Oh, and BTW...I would bet lots of money that you have NEVER seen a male in any feminized seeds...what you may have seen is a intersex gene expressing itself. And we see intersex genes pop up more often than not from STRESS. The frequency of this gene showing itself is totally due to the breeders selection program.
Nothing more, nothing less. No voodoo. No magic. And no internet bullshit from those who have few clues. It is what it is.
Study up and find out what that is, hempy. Do us all a favor.

Just a lil story from my fried mind I would like to share...
I was once in a bar with some friends. There was a guy who was slobbering drunk trying to hug everyone and acting very unruly. Folks tried to get him to settle down and chill, but he insisted on being a drunk asshole...we all know the guy.
Anyway, he started his drunk shit with the bartender, who didn't waste time in telling the guy he was out and had to leave NOW! Well, the guy started in the typical drunken bullshit about how he is a paying customer and he knows all about everyone in here and they should all be thrown out. The bartender at this point was helping the drunk to the door, when the drunk decides he is going to show the bartender he will NOT be thrown out. Of course one swing and the drunk falls on his face in the floor. The bartender, being an impatient soul, didn't wait for the drunk to find his feet again, and dragged the slobbering mess by one leg all the way out the door and into the street. A thunderous applause follows for the bartender when he returned inside.
A few minutes later the same drunk stumbles into the door, heads to the bar and asks for a drink. He tells the bartender that he is having a bad night and had to straighten out a bunch of assholes at the bar across the street.
Do you drink, Hempy?

D

Dalaihempy

Hempy, you tend to bring facts from the board that you cannot show us. And the thing is, just because someone states something on this board, hardly makes it relevant other than it adding a slight bit of anecdotal evidence.

The fact is that an indoor grow is a stress of sorts, and to not understand that means you probably don't understand the rest of the issue. Which is fine, you don't really have to understand the issue, and can keep throwing in useless bits flavored with voodoo and hearsay. But others will continue to correct you and show you are so wrong. Does that make you feel special? Wouldn't you rather know what is really going on, rather than to make up some conclusion in your head and stick to it no matter what?
Oh, and BTW...I would bet lots of money that you have NEVER seen a male in any feminized seeds...what you may have seen is a intersex gene expressing itself. And we see intersex genes pop up more often than not from STRESS. The frequency of this gene showing itself is totally due to the breeders selection program.
Nothing more, nothing less. No voodoo. No magic. And no internet bullshit from those who have few clues. It is what it is.
Study up and find out what that is, hempy. Do us all a favor.

hoosierdaddy what are you talking about you think i am some kid well i am not i have grown for many decades and i do know what i am talking about unlike some and every thing i post about is from hands on experience not plucked out of some grow book that lots seam to use as fact in there arguments.

How is indoor growing more stressful on plants are you kidding your self out door plants have to deal with more stress than indoor plants like pests weather from rain to heavy rain winds hail to extreme heat to cold night temps and warm day temps were indoor grown plants have it easy they grow in an optimum grow environment if your plants are stresst indoors then you as the grower are to blame.

Voodoo lol please no i have not seen any males show in s1 chemically made fem seeds as i have not grown any out or will i but i have seen a few reports of them from other growers that have grown them out across the boards like i would waste my money on shit please give me some credit here.

Just a lil story from my fried mind I would like to share...
I was once in a bar with some friends. There was a guy who was slobbering drunk trying to hug everyone and acting very unruly. Folks tried to get him to settle down and chill, but he insisted on being a drunk asshole...we all know the guy.
Anyway, he started his drunk shit with the bartender, who didn't waste time in telling the guy he was out and had to leave NOW! Well, the guy started in the typical drunken bullshit about how he is a paying customer and he knows all about everyone in here and they should all be thrown out. The bartender at this point was helping the drunk to the door, when the drunk decides he is going to show the bartender he will NOT be thrown out. Of course one swing and the drunk falls on his face in the floor. The bartender, being an impatient soul, didn't wait for the drunk to find his feet again, and dragged the slobbering mess by one leg all the way out the door and into the street. A thunderous applause follows for the bartender when he returned inside.
A few minutes later the same drunk stumbles into the door, heads to the bar and asks for a drink. He tells the bartender that he is having a bad night and had to straighten out a bunch of assholes at the bar across the street.
Do you drink, Hempy?

hoosierdaddy let me help you to the door after i call you a cab mate its okay we wont tell ever one you shit your pants and pisst your self it will be icmag community secret we as your friends will not moke you when you soba up (wise up ) lol.

THC123

Veteran
indoor plants can grow under a lot more stress then outdoors, but that is always the grower's fault , if the grower finetunes the climate , i don't see why plants would have more stress indoors , except in summer when it gets too hot

@hoosiermotherfucker : can't you try to react in a normal polite way to posts when you don't agree?(and please don't send nasty pm's this time or start messing up my personal page like ya always do ;)

Guest423

Veteran
indoor plants can grow under a lot more stress then outdoors, but that is always the grower's fault , if the grower finetunes the climate , i don't see why plants would have more stress indoors , except in summer when it gets too hot

How do you fine tune an indoor climate? Does every single strain like exactly the same temp/humidity/light levels/media/ect?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
If you are still arguing stress levels indoors vs outdoors... then stop.

Indoors presents a lot less stress when not applied correctly.

Outdoors is always stressful no matter what.

They can both wreck your plants, herm them out, or kill them outright.

Last edited:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lack of silica is always a noobi mistake with hydro,,,,

i bet salt buildup and ioncly imballanced nutes could be another noobie pitfall,,,,

massivly fluctuating PH

there are loads of noobie mistakes to be mmade in hydro

Guest423

Veteran

Indoors presents a lot less stress when applied correctly.

I'm not arguing about anything I'm asking questions, do you care to answer any of them? Different strains require different measures.

Are you trying to tell me if you took an outdoor strain from the equator and brought it into your grow room it would have less stress then where it originated from?

Can anyone explain why indoors if you have light leaks you get hermies but outdoors its never totally dark but you get no hermies? I mean a little light in the corner of your grow room can set off hermies inside but outside you have the moon and the stars.

localhero

I'm not arguing about anything I'm asking questions, do you care to answer any of them? Different strains require different measures.

Are you trying to tell me if you took an outdoor strain from the equator and brought it into your grow room it would have less stress then where it originated from?

Can anyone explain why indoors if you have light leaks you get hermies but outdoors its never totally dark but you get no hermies? I mean a little light in the corner of your grow room can set off hermies inside but outside you have the moon and the stars.

I think i can take a stab at that.

outdoors the plants are used to the sun as their light source. whats the sun like 1billion watts? far off street lights, moonlight and general incandescent s are pretty far off from the intensity of the sun. the disparity between sunlight and manmade light is too great for plants to trip out. however a small light leak from a 60watt bulb into a flowering room with 1000watt lights is only a 940watt difference.

1 billion watt diff vs 900 watt diff.

thats what i was told when i asked the same question.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Indoors presents a lot less stress when applied correctly.

Another brilliant deduction using nothing but it's own logic and nothing more.
And no, I don't think I will stop, because I think you guys are wrong. If not, back it up with something credible.

Latest posts

Latest posts