What's new

World's Best Drummers

the gnome

Veteran
picking a *best drummer* is like being a judge in a pie contest.
everyone has different tastes.
that said i was lucky enough to grow up in the 60s and saw the change in drumming styles heading into a "harder" direction.

black sabbaths bill ward, zepplin and deep purple.
great stuff, different, exciting is the only way to describe the big changes happening!

Ive always been a buddy rich fan and drummers that follwed in that style so when i haerd DPs Ian Paice his style just grabbed me.
listen to his solo in the "made in japan" live album.
I wore out a couple dozen styluses and the grooves on the record trying to learn it.
in my early teens i just didn't have the technical/rudimantal experience.

Bonham too, when moby dick came out, i wood shedded.

bonham was what i called a bottom end drummer, heavy on the kick.
and paice a top end, with the buddy rich ratatatatat on the snare!
the next change i saw was when van halen came around, again, new style in rock!
alex was definitely bonham influenced but seemed to be the perfect mix of paice too.

I saw styxx's recently, again and todd sucherman is defintely around the top of the heap of coliseum rock drummers and rock drummers in general these days.

so many differing styles and trying to pick the worlds best drummers is like trying to
pick the best pies in the world... soooo much good stuff to sample :)

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Nobody's mentioned Carter Beauford yet?

Danny Carey is very gifted and nobody doubts Peart.

Gavin Harrison is also incredibly talented.

Has anyone seen Eric Moore in action?

This is a horrible backtrack but watch this big boy tear it up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekxvaEGXlkA

Oh and as for that "pound for pound" thing dagnabit... Moore would take Peart. :D

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picking a *best drummer* is like being a judge in a pie contest.

yeah its a super subjective endeavor isn't it?

like take neil peart {many would just assume he is awesome} but; there is actually a large anti-peart sentiment just as there is a large anti-lars sentiment

i think most of that is actually jealousy but i do know of a guy who can cop all of peart's stuff and doesn't think anything of peart

as far as i m concerned if they are actually able to make a living playing drums; you can detract all you want but a generous group of people will still pay to see them play

and that said yes sucherman is freaking awesome ~i like how he basically plays all the old classic styx songs even better {just like Paice who commented how it was refreshing to come up w/ different ways to play the same figures live & keep it interesting for him}

aldridge is another big forerunner of that heavy hitter sound

and something which is really impressing me these days are drummers like thomas lang whose 4-limb dexterity is confoundingly off the charts {he can keep 5 separate rhythms easily and more}

similar to guys like mangini who seem like they could sit in and sight read for virtually any band in a live setting

John Deere

Veteran
The best pie is apple.

apple-pie.jpg

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can not say if he was the best but Moon on 'Can you see the real me' was the best I have ever heard on a song. The bass kicked ass too.

Last edited:

ATAK.1

Has anyone seen Eric Moore in action?

Eric Moore is a badass. Frankly Eric Moore, Fred Boswell Jr, Thomas Pridgen and all the "Gospel Chops" guys are the baddest on the scene today. Definitely elevating drumming to new technical and creative heights.
Punch up "Shed Sessions" in YouTube and see what I mean.

the gnome

Veteran
yeah its a super subjective endeavor isn't it?

like take neil peart {many would just assume he is awesome} but; there is actually a large anti-peart sentiment just as there is a large anti-lars sentiment

i think most of that is actually jealousy but i do know of a guy who can cop all of peart's stuff and doesn't think anything of peart

as far as i m concerned if they are actually able to make a living playing drums; you can detract all you want but a generous group of people will still pay to see them play

and that said yes sucherman is freaking awesome ~i like how he basically plays all the old classic styx songs even better {just like Paice who commented how it was refreshing to come up w/ different ways to play the same figures live & keep it interesting for him}

aldridge is another big forerunner of that heavy hitter sound

and something which is really impressing me these days are drummers like thomas lang whose 4-limb dexterity is confoundingly off the charts {he can keep 5 separate rhythms easily and more}

similar to guys like mangini who seem like they could sit in and sight read for virtually any band in a live setting

tommy aldridge is another great, i saw him early in his drumming career touring with BOA, his dbl bass work is what really caught my eye, lots of drummers were using them at the time but not really affectivley using them, tommy changed that.

i think we, as drummers go through our phases.
i remember exactly where i was and what i was driving listening to the radio, when i heard peart playing *spirit of the radio*
I became an instant peart fan right them and there lol!
i never really listened to rush much, just knew they had some hi pitched squeally singer that kinda annoyed me :D
i ran out and bought permanent waves and 2112
and became an instant rush fan!

D

DryNobBob

unknown cat named Kev Miller, tours for JD Newbury sometimes, I think.

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all, just wanted ask everyone what their fav drummer's are, and who they think are the world's best( living or dead) It's only fair due to drummer's wacky and short lived lives.

Here's my list

World's Best Drum/Percussion

1. Hands down the best drummer in the world was John Bonham
2. a close second was Keith Moon " the loon"
3. definitely the best living drummer Neil Peart
4 a very close second living drummer Stewart Copeland
5. and just one of my fav Bill Ward

What do you guys think?

danny carey of tool, and all those guys will admit it.

hes 6 foot 5, 265 on a good day. but his agility and stamina give him a very dynamic sound on top of his heavy hands

med-man