What's new

World's Best Drummers

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Keith Moon is a crap drummer and looses time constantly. In fact some would say he's shit!!!

The best technical drummer which is classical drumming > The master of Paradiddles Etc is Buddy Rich. Nobody even comes close to this guy's expertise. I however prefer the FUNK groove of Bernard Purdie.

Bernard is the most recorded session musician ever, these drummers I mention are the only ones in the top 3 from, expertise, ability and most wanted on record.

Bernard Purdie -AKA- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FX_84iWPLU Mr - I need some air in my Hi hat! Mr 16 beat shuffle.

The Jimmy Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell was awesome. (bear in mind he had to try and drum along to Jimmy and jimmy would stop playing and listen to Mitchell. Mitch was a sincapated rock and roll drum master. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKgd7BlYhBM

Too many today, don't know of Buddy Rich. Too bad. Today's drumming youth need to know his work.

A big driving force behind Rich and his proficiency, was Gene Krupa. Their drum battles are famous. Buddy just HAD to out do Gene.
Krupa had MAD CHOPS as well. Over looked as well, due, mostly to time.

When I hear folks say Bonham or Moon or Ward are the best ever, I can only think, they haven't heard of Rich or Krupa.

Funk, Dennis chambers can lay down the funk! IMO.

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Too many today, don't know of Buddy Rich. Too bad. Today's drumming youth need to know his work.

A big driving force behind Rich and his proficiency, was Gene Krupa. Their drum battles are famous. Buddy just HAD to out do Gene.
Krupa had MAD CHOPS as well. Over looked as well, due, mostly to time.

When I hear folks say Bonham or Moon or Ward are the best ever, I can only think, they haven't heard of Rich or Krupa.

Funk, Dennis chambers can lay down the funk! IMO.

True about Buddy. I remember watching him come on the Johnny Carson Show (The Tonight Show) and having a "drum-off" with Johnny. I know Buudy held back but I gotta say Johnny wasn't bad.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
World's Best Drummers?

World's Best Drummers?

My drum teacher, Rick Cline.

rick-home.jpg

Me playing with the band Crash Box at The Hickory Music Factory.

Attachments

• HMF 2012 008.jpg
    HMF 2012 008.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
My four favorite drummers, in no particular order:
Mitch Mitchell
"Bonzo" Bonham
Ginger Baker
Keith Moon

Of course, this also kinda shows you what my favorite kind of music is...

A

algae1011

Did you forget "200 Motels"?

Did you forget "200 Motels"?

Keith Moon is a crap drummer and looses time constantly. In fact some would say he's shit!!!

The best technical drummer which is classical drumming > The master of Paradiddles Etc is Buddy Rich. Nobody even comes close to this guy's expertise. I however prefer the FUNK groove of Bernard Purdie.

Bernard is the most recorded session musician ever, these drummers I mention are the only ones in the top 3 from, expertise, ability and most wanted on record.

Bernard Purdie -AKA- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FX_84iWPLU Mr - I need some air in my Hi hat! Mr 16 beat shuffle.

The Jimmy Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell was awesome. (bear in mind he had to try and drum along to Jimmy and jimmy would stop playing and listen to Mitchell. Mitch was a sincapated rock and roll drum master. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKgd7BlYhBM

Keith Moon may not have been consistent, but he was still uber talented & innovative. Frank Zappa portrayed him as a hot, possessed nun in "200 Motels" for a reason!!!

I find it kinda funny/sad that Moon sat across from Phaul & Linda McCartney the night he passed..

RIP Moonie

:angelshug::party::respect:
party.gif
:angelshug:

the gnome

Veteran
thomas lang is one fuggin monster drummer
he's right in there with the likes of virgil donati and mike mangini.
if fact when dream theater held auditions to replace portnoy
lang, donati and mangini with a couple other drummers auditioned for the job.
all these guys along with marco minneo+ dave weckl,
all are in another league all their own, technically fluid so to say.
there's a great utube vid of the DT auditions

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Any conversation about greatest drummers has to take into account the half a million dollars worth of hotel toilets blown up by Mr Keith Moon Esq. in conjunction with the finest products of Cherry Bomb bangers Inc.

Townshend is also half deaf thanks to some very enthusiastic CherryBomb + Drum Kit work from Mr Moon.

Midnite Toker

Veteran
No mention of Simon Kirke of Free and Bad Company. He has a place in rock and roll history.
Bad Company:
:rtfo:
Carl Palmer was the strongest drummer I ever saw.

Mr.Miner

Really great drummers listed here and I'll add two if they haven't been recognized, here, yet.

Jon Fishman- from Phish. Amazing, amazing, versatile drummer

Billy Martin- from Medeski, Martin, and Wood. Wow- what a drummer...I was fortunate enough to take a one-on-one lesson with him at his home. MMW is a fantastic band worth checking out if you/one hasn't yet.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Charlie watts,,,,mick Fleetwood and the drummer from icelandic band "sigor ros" and john Bonham,,,,,,,s2

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Ringo was never wild, extravagant, or a show off,
But you have to admit, he was a much better drummer than he is given credit for...
I saw his All-Star Band in 1999, with Greg Lake on bass, and Ringo's son playing drums alongside his Dad... What a great show that was!

shithawk420

Veteran
Kinda surprised no mention of Bill Bruford.hes played with everybody,Genesis,YES,ASIA,Dream theater(i think)the list goes on

A

algae1011

Any conversation about greatest drummers has to take into account the half a million dollars worth of hotel toilets blown up by Mr Keith Moon Esq. in conjunction with the finest products of Cherry Bomb bangers Inc.

Townshend is also half deaf thanks to some very enthusiastic CherryBomb + Drum Kit work from Mr Moon.

So... to determine the winner, are we looking for a low, golf-type number? Or are we looking for... HIGH NUMBERS? *badum ching*

Seems to me Moon was acting a lot to make people smile. He was born in the year of the Dog, so it makes sense to me.
& with that in mind, sure sure, he was a natural ball of confusion/energy--but imo, like a puppy, the guys/gals/managers saw opportunity in that energy & exploited it.
Ex. Townshend sayz in a few interviews that lotsa times he was right behind him with the matches :dance013:
The Michigan Holiday Inn welcomed Keith on his 21st--the manager of the Holiday Inn even helped finish destroying Keith's room when Keith found out he had to pay over 10k either way lol

I'm not condoning Keith's actions. I wouldn't call him to play the snare part in Lt. Kije either lol. But I'd still consider him to be one of the best drummers. He was a great listener, innovative, and ran like a golden motor when he was on. Keith played from the heart every time.
He may not have been the best, but he even said himself he didn't want to be the best..only a part of a band! I know the feeling & respect him 110%. I believe he had a heart of gold & was very troubled/possessed cuz of the PIC.

He didn't even want to be part of the Who at first. Keith wanted to play surfer music before The Who. He didn't like the Who's initial stuff--The Who were totes L7 w/o Keith...all three of the other guys admitted it in some way or another! They needed him! And look what happened to Keith!!!

...though Townshend demos are pretty caliente... but this post is getting sooper drawn out.... so I'm gonna post it before I get self-conscious and delete it lol...

PEACE :tiphat::ying: :bandit:

shithawk420

Veteran
Cant forget the drummer from Def Leppard.the guy only has one arm and one leg.gotta give him props for that

paper thorn

Veteran
I'd agree with just about all the choices in this thread.
Guys like Buddy Rich were pioneers, but seriously, nowhere near some of the guys since.

Just saying that drummers since have built on his work and others.

Like saying Jimi was the best guitar picker, when so many since have mastered his techs plus added so much.

One thing though, so many good ones, it's really hard to put the top ten in a particular order, what with style differences and such.

Only thing we can say with certainty is that The Professor, Neil Peart, is the best. Ever.

Latest posts

Latest posts