What's new

World Health Organization: Swine flu could spread globally

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
You ain't seen the news mu'fucka? You ain't heard?

medium_bankes.jpg

The apocalypse is already beginning to materialize.

madrecinco

Veteran
not true... cannabis is medicine, and hasn't killed anyone yet, that i know of.... how many died from 1976 swine virus...1 and from the vaccine, at least 25, and 500 cases of gbs

If you read my posts you will see that I think weed is the only med that I have seen in practice that is not TOXIC!!!!

I do espouse that and I am a long term toker who has started recently to enjoy the weed again as well as it is one of my personal choices in meds. I never in my 19 years of nursing saw anybody die of weed...

BUT I HAVE SEEN DEATH from benzo's...opiates....crack....meth....speed...XTC....robotripping...skittling....
alcohol...cigarettes,,,,abuse of tylenol even.
Weed is a good and natural drug....but it won't kill the Swine Flu.

Obama just asked for $1.5 billion to fight the coming epidemic.....

The Health Minister in Lebanon said nobody is allowed to kiss on the mouth to prevent spread.

SOOOOO some governments are certainly taking it serious.

madrecinco

Veteran
That is always an issue with flu vaccines. The vaccine that comes out is just a best guess several months before the actual known strain pops up. And I would wager that guess is wrong way more than it is right. Plus flu viruses tend to mutate fairly quickly...this one would be an example...it mutated when it crossed the border apparently and is not nearly as dangerous in the US as it was Mexico...at least yet.

Intelligent people argue both sides of the vaccine debate...but there is enough "collateral damage" showing up these days that ain't nobody ever gonna vaccinate me again for anything.

Now...off to the bar to tempt fate and be social.

Hey babe sounds like a good idea.....this drink is for you Yosemite. I just put some good rum in my cafe con leche.....

Might as well be toasted when we die. I am old and ready to go....but I hope my family stays safe. As they will be the nurses on the frontlines and that is really my own personal worry as they go home to my grandkids at night. Ever notice those nurses in the grocery store wearing scrubs shopping on their way home? Should be against the law spreading germs that way!

madrecinco

Veteran

Skittling is the abuse of dexomethorphin an OTC drug like coricidin....

The young like to abuse them to get high and hallucinate! this is why now we have to show a drivers lisence to buy them . Even though they are not prescription.

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
ROFL. I highly doubt they are spreading germs that way...

Oh how wrong you are. Those scrubs were on the hospital floor. I have seen MRSA spread in such a manner. I also think that any nurse who is so irresponsible as to wear that gear anywhere but the hospital should have their licenses pulled. If they dont care about spreading germs that way, they cannot possibly be a responsible nurse.

I grew up in a "medical" family, and that was one of the things I learned. The floor in the hospital is the dirtiest and most infectious places in the world. Think of how many sick people cough and hack germs on to the floor. You cant demand that the patient be so responsible. But a nurse? Oh hell yes we can. I wonder how those dipshit nurses would like it if you walked up to them and coughed in their face. What could they say? Cuss you while they are standing there in scrubs? LOL!

I agree with you Madre, one of my pet peeves as well.

ben ttech

as our resident ^^^ typhoid mary attests...

you get DIRTY looks from your nurse and doctor when you insist they wash their hand in front of you...

god forbid you call em for violating institutional policy OR mention the ramification of living with the half asleep VERSION of compliance with regulation...

boil down to this...
WANT to die???
go to the hospital...
its where killing is wholesale and nobody nottices...

madrecinco

Veteran
Oh how wrong you are. Those scrubs were on the hospital floor. I have seen MRSA spread in such a manner. I also think that any nurse who is so irresponsible as to wear that gear anywhere but the hospital should have their licenses pulled. If they dont care about spreading germs that way, they cannot possibly be a responsible nurse.

I grew up in a "medical" family, and that was one of the things I learned. The floor in the hospital is the dirtiest and most infectious places in the world. Think of how many sick people cough and hack germs on to the floor. You cant demand that the patient be so responsible. But a nurse? Oh hell yes we can. I wonder how those dipshit nurses would like it if you walked up to them and coughed in their face. What could they say? Cuss you while they are standing there in scrubs? LOL!

I agree with you Madre, one of my pet peeves as well.

Swamp we have a big problem with nosocomial infections and my pet peeve is showers for nurses like Doctors have so I can take off my scrubs and shower and not take the germs home.

Anybody who don't think nurses carry bacteria out of that hospital is TOTALLY IGNORANT

and does he think the bacteria and virus jumps off our uniform and scrubs after 12 hours running in a busy hospital as we walk out the door.????:wallbash:

Mr. Tony

Veteran
My mother is an RN who works in a busy ER. I hang out with her all the time while she is still wearing her scrubs, shit I hug her as well. I've never had anything but a common cold and your basic flue you get when living at a dorm in college....

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
My girl works at an assisted living home, she has to where scrubs but she doesnt really get dirty, the place she works all the old folks wipe there own asses.

madrecinco

Veteran
My mother is an RN who works in a busy ER. I hang out with her all the time while she is still wearing her scrubs, shit I hug her as well. I've never had anything but a common cold and your basic flue you get when living at a dorm in college....

Your mommy needs to go back to RN school and quit spreading disease. Tell her to take microbiology AGAIN and hope she learns it this time!

Naughty mommy taking bacteria home to kids. BTW....you need to read a little bit and learn before you run your mouth and don't know WTF you are even talking about. Many nurses on this site but they are discreet as they still work. I am retired and can run my mouth online about the broken system. But you can google can't you. Go educate yourself and your mom.

madrecinco

Veteran
My girl works at an assisted living home, she has to where scrubs but she doesnt really get dirty, the place she works all the old folks wipe there own asses.

That is the worst case scenario for MRSA....CAMRSA...and VRE....

tell her she is bringing home germs. Don't you think when she wipes those old ppl asses she is getting bacteria on her uniform???/

Well whatever...its your freakin' life and not mine....but my family of nurses don't go home in our dirty scrubs....BECAUSE WE CARE!!!!

T.Baggins

do hospitals nurses have to wash their own scrubs? when i was working in research we had a laundry service that washed our scrubs and lab coats. s.o.p was not to leave in scrubs or any p.p.e.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I said she DOESNT wipe ass fool... "all the old folks wipe there own asses".... its in your quote. Assisted living is different than convelessent homes.

madrecinco

Veteran
do hospitals nurses have to wash their own scrubs? when i was working in research we had a laundry service that washed our scrubs and lab coats. s.o.p was not to leave in scrubs or any p.p.e.

Only if you work in the OR or some ICU's do they furnish scrubs. Most nurses do wash their own uniforms and take the germs home in the process.

808kahumai

MRSA, VRE, Pseudomonus, Klebsiella, Acinetobacter, and Stenotropomonas were just a few of the tiny little buggers that I had to deal with yesterday! My shoes never enter the house and are not used for anything else. I wash and bleach my scrubs by themselves. My children never touch me until I have changed clothes. It is very poor form to go out in public with scrubs on. I never go to the grocery store or anywhere else after work until I have changed clothes and disinfected my body. We should do a thread on hand washing and the use of antimicrobial hand cleaner!

Only slightly off topic, but excellent education are the following facts about infectious diseases: "Transmission may occur through several different mechanisms. Respiratory diseases and meningitis are commonly acquired by contact with aerosolized droplets, spread by sneezing, coughing, talking, kissing or even singing. Gastrointestinal diseases are often acquired by ingesting contaminated food and water. Sexually transmitted diseases are acquired through contact with bodily fluids, generally as a result of sexual activity. Some infectious agents may be spread as a result of contact with a contaminated, inanimate object (known as a fomite), such as a coin passed from one person to another, while other diseases penetrate the skin directly.[5]

Transmission of infectious diseases may also involve a "vector". Vectors may be mechanical or biological. A mechanical vector picks up an infectious agent on the outside of its body and transmits it in a passive manner. An example of a mechanical vector is a housefly, which lands on cow dung, contaminating its appendages with bacteria from the feces, and then lands on food prior to consumption. The pathogen never enters the body of the fly.

Culex mosquitos (Culex quinquefasciatus shown) are biological vectors that transmit West Nile Virus.In contrast, biological vectors harbor pathogens within their bodies and deliver pathogens to new hosts in an active manner, usually a bite. Biological vectors are often responsible for serious blood-borne diseases, such as malaria, viral encephalitis, Chagas disease, Lyme disease and African sleeping sickness. Biological vectors are usually, though not exclusively, arthropods, such as mosquitoes, ticks, fleas and lice. Vectors are often required in the life cycle of a pathogen. A common strategy used to control vector borne infectious diseases is to interrupt the life cycle of a pathogen by killing the vector.

The relationship between virulence and transmission is complex, and has important consequences for the long term evolution of a pathogen. Since it takes many generations for a microbe and a new host species to co-evolve, an emerging pathogen may hit its earliest victims especially hard. It is usually in the first wave of a new disease that death rates are highest. If a disease is rapidly fatal, the host may die before the microbe can get passed along to another host. However, this cost may be overwhelmed by the short term benefit of higher infectiousness if transmission is linked to virulence, as it is for instance in the case of cholera (the explosive diarrhea aids the bacterium in finding new hosts) or many respiratory infections (sneezing and coughing create infectious aerosols).

[edit] Preventing transmission

Figure 1: A simplified model of how disease transmission in small-world networks can be prevented. Major focus should be on preventing jumps between hubs (green cross out) in addition to prevention within infected hubs (red cross outs).One of the ways to prevent or slow down the transmission of infectious diseases is to recognize the different characteristics of various diseases. [6] Some critical disease characteristics that should be evaluated include virulence, distance traveled by victims, and level of contagiousness. The human strains of Ebola virus, for example, incapacitate its victims extremely quickly and kills them soon after. As a result, the victims of this disease do not have the opportunity to travel very far from the initial infection zone. [7] Also, this virus must spread through skin lesions or permeable membranes such as the eye. Thus, the initial stage of Ebola is not very contagious since its victims experience only internal hemorrhaging. As a result of the above features, the spread of Ebola is very rapid and usually stays within a relatively confined geographical area. In contrast, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) kills its victims very slowly by attacking their immune system. [6] As a result, a lot of its victims transmit the virus to many others before even realizing that they are carrying the disease. Also, the relatively low virulence allows its victims to travel long distances, increasing the likelihood of an epidemic.

Another effective way to decrease the transmission rate of infectious diseases is to recognize the effects of small-world networks. [6] In epidemics, there are often extensive interactions within hubs or groups of infected individuals and other interactions within discrete hubs of susceptible individuals. Despite the low interaction between discrete hubs, the disease can jump to and spread in a susceptible hub via a single or few interactions with an infected hub. Thus, infection rates in small-world networks can be reduced somewhat if interactions between individuals within infected hubs are eliminated (Figure 1). However, infection rates can be drastically reduced if the main focus is on the prevention of transmission jumps between hubs. The use of needle exchange programs in areas with a high density of drug users with HIV is an example of the successful implementation of this treatment method. [6] Another example is the use of ring culling or vaccination of potentially susceptible livestock in adjacent farms to prevent the spread of the foot-and-mouth virus in 2001. [8]

General methods to prevent transmission of pathogens may include disinfection and pest control." from Wikipedia

Hope that clears a few things up for some people that have questions about the basics.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts