What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

woodworking

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
You do beautiful work. I love the knives sitting on the stump, they’re very unique… I collect burls, all different sizes and shapes. Here are a couple that are in my living room. The table is redwood from the Pacific Northwest.

Attachments

• IMG_2141.jpeg
    IMG_2141.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2140.jpeg
    IMG_2140.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33

Sun&Soil

Those are beautiful S&S

You do beautiful work. I love the knives sitting on the stump, they’re very unique… I collect burls, all different sizes and shapes. Here are a couple that are in my living room. The table is redwood from the Pacific Northwest.
Thank you for the kind words.

Redwood burl is one of my favorites. Those are some spectacular pieces.

I'm a bit of a woods knife enthusiast, especially ones with fancy burl handles. I spent a couple of years making my own handles for a hobby.

Then came the carving hobby.

20200802_170550.jpg

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I tend to be pretty extreme, when I do something it's all in...I've got burl bowls, plates, carvings, tables...just cause I like the way they look...my hobby is building hot rods and restoring classic american cars...I was into metric rides way back but when I was clocked at 201 mph I decided those little rockets were gonna be the death of me...your craft is much more normal and safe...you may run one of those gouges into your thigh but that's much safe than vaporizing oneself at speed...;)

Sun&Soil

I tend to be pretty extreme, when I do something it's all in...I've got burl bowls, plates, carvings, tables...just cause I like the way they look...my hobby is building hot rods and restoring classic american cars...I was into metric rides way back but when I was clocked at 201 mph I decided those little rockets were gonna be the death of me...your craft is much more normal and safe...you may run one of those gouges into your thigh but that's much safe than vaporizing oneself at speed...;)
I'll take a gouge to the thigh over splat any day of the week. I've never been much of a speed junky myself. Dabbled with heights and chainsaws in combination at one point in my life. That definitely got the adrenaline going.

It's been awhile since I've laid edge to fiber. I've been working(land surveyor) on a large project for the past 3 years that hinders my "free" time. What I have left in the tank after the responsibilities are done is spent in the garden or on my trails.

Timj

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I finally made it out to the shop and I had to clean off an area to take a picture because the truck has been sitting in a shop for over a year… as mentioned, Lacewood is used in the bed, and that big hump in the middle of the bed is the rear axle because it’s a four-lane suspension

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I finally made it out to the shop and I had to clean off an area to take a picture because the truck has been sitting in a shop for over a year… as mentioned, Lacewood is used in the bed, and that big hump in the middle of the bed is the rear axle because it’s a four-lane suspension

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpeg
    IMG_2143.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 50

Timj

That is a beautiful looking bed. To nice to use for hauling anything. I like the look of the exotics. But, with a higher silica content the take the edge off a tool pretty fast. I remember thinking they made a mistake on 6" square blocks of Cocobolo. $10 each so I purchased 4. I turned one bowl and every single pass I needed to resharpen my bowl gouge. I still have those other blocks. It's been at least 20 years and I have no desire to use them.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
That is a beautiful looking bed. To nice to use for hauling anything. I like the look of the exotics. But, with a higher silica content the take the edge off a tool pretty fast. I remember thinking they made a mistake on 6" square blocks of Cocobolo. $10 each so I purchased 4. I turned one bowl and every single pass I needed to resharpen my bowl gouge. I still have those other blocks. It's been at least 20 years and I have no desire to use them.
I built the truck to do one thing and one thing only...to haul ass...too me almost 4 years 2 of which I was doing chemo...made for a difficult build but I pushed and made it happen...

Timj

I built the truck to do one thing and one thing only...to haul ass...too me almost 4 years 2 of which I was doing chemo...made for a difficult build but I pushed and made it happen...
It's good to hear your chemo is over and it worked for you. I bet that truck would take a healthy person much longer to put together. I'd guess it's a passion of yours.

Ultramarin

man, that type of wood looks great, never seen it before! but I have always tried not to use tropical wood for my projects due to deforestation of the rainforests. sometimes you can´t avoid it completely, i still have some planks of real old burma teak, mainly to use it for repairing the boats of my friends...

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
It's good to hear your chemo is over and it worked for you. I bet that truck would take a healthy person much longer to put together. I'd guess it's a passion of yours.
thank you my friend, those were some dark moments in my life but I made it thru to the other side...my cars are indeed a passion but as I age my ass can't seem to cash the checks my mouth is writing...I can still do most things but asking for a hand is certainly a must once I past 70 years old...

Timj

Thank you Sun&Soil . At my last property I built a solar kiln. I fell, milled and kiln dried all the lumber I use in my projects. The only woods I purchased were some exotics. I usually use them for accents in pieces. We don't have Osage Orange trees in NY state. I haven't seen it at my local supplier either. I'll need to source some and give it a try.