What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

woodworking

Sun&Soil

Thank you Sun&Soil . At my last property I built a solar kiln. I fell, milled and kiln dried all the lumber I use in my projects. The only woods I purchased were some exotics. I usually use them for accents in pieces. We don't have Osage Orange trees in NY state. I haven't seen it at my local supplier either. I'll need to source some and give it a try.

I'm in the fingerlakes area of NY and have 2 Osage Trees in my yard. What area of NY are you in?

Timj

I didn't know they grew here. I thought they only grew in the south. I'm between Albany and the Catskill Mountains. Have you worked with the wood yourself? It has a similar color to fresh harvested Black Locust or Mulberry. Does it stay that golden color or does it turn a shade of brown when exposed to UV light?

Sun&Soil

I didn't know they grew here. I thought they only grew in the south. I'm between Albany and the Catskill Mountains. Have you worked with the wood yourself? It has a similar color to fresh harvested Black Locust or Mulberry. Does it stay that golden color or does it turn a shade of brown when exposed to UV light?
It continues to darken with light. I'll post some different samples when I get some freetime tomorrow.

Sun&Soil

@Timj

20231203_102309.jpg

All Osage.

20231203_102329.jpg

Timj

Cool. It looks just like Mulberry or Black Locust does when first milled. Once UV light hits it the color slowly changes darker. It is very similar to Black Cherry. Although Cherry changes color because it's rich in resins like prussic acid. Where as Osage orange and Mulberry change color because of UV exposure.

Persianfarmer

i also love to work with wood, when i was young i made an education as a cabinetmaker. after almost 30 years i decided to use my old horsestable as a workshop and bought some almost antique machinery for very small money and startet my old and almost forgotten profession again. here is one of my last projects, a workbench for a friend of mine, made out of maple and chestnut, wich got roaked with samiac spirit after finishing, to change the color of the chestnut-wood:
Cool thats a great hobby to have! Excellent have fun

Persianfarmer

not really! IKEA furniture is mainly assembled with screws, which you usually won't find in any of my work unless they are absolutely necessary.... ;)
Yes was just a joke old fart! I grew up with Ikea as a university student, i think the concept is pretty genius between us…I thought you would see the finnest, genius as in Ikea 😉

Timj

ikea sometimes looks nice and is a bargain, but in my world, it's nothing but crap... ;)
I feel the same way. If you have no means of obtaining good used furniture that will last generations. By all means purchase what you want. I believe the younger generation feels that nothing should last more than a few years and then be dumped into a land fill. Eventually this train of thought will catch up to them and we will be long gone when they need to deal with it. So I say, enjoy your throw away society and deal with the consequences later.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I thought they only grew in the south.
osage native to the midwest, but spread widely by both early settlers & native Americans. settlers used it to grow "fences" (VERY thorny) for livestock, and the Paleo Indians used it to build bows with (still very popular to this day), and traded the seeds extensively. they also soaked the seed balls (green "oranges") in water and used the water as insect repellent...walnut hulls soaked also repelled multi-legged critters.

Sun&Soil

osage native to the midwest, but spread widely by both early settlers & native Americans. settlers used it to grow "fences" (VERY thorny) for livestock, and the Paleo Indians used it to build bows with (still very popular to this day), and traded the seeds extensively. they also soaked the seed balls (green "oranges") in water and used the water as insect repellent...walnut hulls soaked also repelled multi-legged critters
I have two Osage trees in the backyard. One large male that grows over our deck and a medium female that's further way from the those. I thank chance every day that it's that way. If the female was over my deck there surely would be alot of damage when she lets those heavy/giant fruits drop.

Carving a bow out of one of the shoots is on my to do list.

We were told by a friend who grew up in the Midwest that her family used to place the fruits in their mudroom to repel spiders.

Timj

osage native to the midwest, but spread widely by both early settlers & native Americans. settlers used it to grow "fences" (VERY thorny) for livestock, and the Paleo Indians used it to build bows with (still very popular to this day), and traded the seeds extensively. they also soaked the seed balls (green "oranges") in water and used the water as insect repellent...walnut hulls soaked also repelled multi-legged critters.
I've made some cool tie dyed t-shirts by steeping walnut husks in a 5 gallon bucket. As a youth I would also dye my traps using walnut husks prior to dipping them in bees wax.

Sun&Soil

I've made some cool tie dyed t-shirts by steeping walnut husks in a 5 gallon bucket. As a youth I would also dye my traps using walnut husks prior to dipping them in bees wax.
My mom used to make me clean up under 3 large Black Walnuts my entire childhood. My hands would be stained for weeks. I'll never forget that pungent smell.

Timj

Here's a salt mill I put the last coat of tung oil on today. This wood came from a White Ash I harvested about 5 years ago. This piece of Ash came from the area closest to the soil line. That's where we find the more pronounced curly figure in the largest pieces the tree has to offer. It's also found in the crotches of all the branches. But, they produce smaller workable pieces.
20231208_203824.jpg