What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why is medical marijuana so expensive?

nephilthim

ahh so much to respond too kmkali 420 best 10 bucks i ever gave was too my best friend who was suffering dope sickness. i agree with you, rand corp analyzed interdiction by goverment as nothing more than a tax on the seller and user.with society
footing the bill in the form of leo,prisons, drug related crime.
health care licks ass when your hmo or ppo can drop you for any b.s. reason.
places like u.k. and france seem to have affordable medical and dental care:free.
both parties lick ass in that they are corrupted by the special interests that fund their reelection campaigns.
and back tothe original argument grow your own and look inthe mirror if you have any complaints about price or quality.either than that like everything else bow na na na na now
its a free for all.
or buy your own and ponder phrases such as social darwinism,caveat emptor,and compassion. to each your own prior and or subjective experience and the ensuing bs that goes with it.

robbiedublu

LOL

$4500lbs? nor cal?

you must have been lookin like a cop if you got charged/actually paid that.

single p's go for less than that to the black market all day long

No shit. I bought many, many lbs in Garberville in 82-85 and never paid more than 2k/lb

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Nevada County REPRESENT!

Anyways yeah are medicine is too expensive thats why I sell top quality buds for only $1600 a LB.
Or $125 a OZ.

I'm here for the people not the money!

O

otherwhitemeat

One word: PROHIBITION.

If the shit on the street is expensive, than the dispensaries can charge prices accordingly. Even when I lived in CA, I wouldn't buy from those places unless I had to. Their prices are worse than middle men in some cases. How the F-- can sick people afford that?

G

Greyskull

icu812

i live in mendo; p's are as low as 1000 for outdoor with some seeds all the way to 3500 for what some mention as "rockstar"... some try to say 36 - 38, but it just doesnt happen... 2k is pretty average for ... average outys.. who wants that unless you're 'o.o.s.' ..... i know for a fact all the quality indoor in this area, the emerald triangle, expect to pay 3k-36 for THE DANK. Everyone knows their bomb indoor will bring something that starts with a 3; if it's less, it just wasn't all there like its supposed to be. Its not uncommon for stores or even other buyers in the Bay to pay over 4k, and as much as 5+ in LA... always effecting the 'medical' prices... simple solution ; get good at growing if you aren't already, and stick at it.

BIOJenn

Instead of arguing this in another thread, I was wondering what people think about the price of medical buds for sick people.

From what I understand, buds are sold from between 20 and 30 bucks a gram or 60 bucks or so an eighth. That figures out on the low side to 600 an ounce by the gram or 500 an ounce by eighths. On the high side it could range from 800 to 700 per ounce. That figures out to be around 10,000 dollars per pound. It's my understanding that club owners want to pay 2400 to 3000 per pound. If that's true there's an awful margin between retail and wholesale.

How could someone unable to work, or dying, afford to smoke on a daily basis? A better question seems to be how could a sick or dying person afford to smoke at all?

If these "compassion clubs" actually were concerned in people getting their buds for pain, how can they charge these prices. It saddens me to think of someone not being able to afford it because of the price. I just don't see a whole lot of compassion.....

10K, if this is not suited for this forum just move it......
thanks for starting this thread JJscorp :2cents::joint:

als83

Originally Posted by JJScorpio
Instead of arguing this in another thread, I was wondering what people think about the price of medical buds for sick people.

From what I understand, buds are sold from between 20 and 30 bucks a gram or 60 bucks or so an eighth. That figures out on the low side to 600 an ounce by the gram or 500 an ounce by eighths. On the high side it could range from 800 to 700 per ounce. That figures out to be around 10,000 dollars per pound. It's my understanding that club owners want to pay 2400 to 3000 per pound. If that's true there's an awful margin between retail and wholesale.

How could someone unable to work, or dying, afford to smoke on a daily basis? A better question seems to be how could a sick or dying person afford to smoke at all?

If these "compassion clubs" actually were concerned in people getting their buds for pain, how can they charge these prices. It saddens me to think of someone not being able to afford it because of the price. I just don't see a whole lot of compassion.....

i totally agree with you the prices i pay are outrageous... i can't
grow it or drive so i have my medical pot delivers it at $50 a 1/8 which works out to $6,200 if i were to buy a pound from him...
he knows i will pay it cause i'm in deep pain... i am a als patient
with severe nerve pain.

no the pot is not that great for $50 ..my dealer
is just scalping me cause he knows i will pay. the price is rediculous
imho. it costs growers $400 to grow a pound of pot or $3/ for 1/8
Would you pay $6,000 for a head of lettuce...
heck even wall street wouldn't charge that much for a head of lettuce.

Futermore ....pot isn't even a plant its
a weed. I cannot afford my pot and am in constant pain. In ca
the medical pot law was called the "compassionate use" law not the
"lets get rich off the sick" i worked to get the ca law signed in....
as a ex-cancer pot user...

30 years ago i had cancer and was given thc capsules ...which were 100% thc...not 15 or 20% (marinol wasn't invented back then) the thc capsules worked pretty good... i fail to see why pot growers instead of
trying to grow the "perfect pot plant" can't refine low grade pot into
thc caps which can then be sold in pharmacies ..very very cheaply...

i once read a book a few years ago that talked how ancient cultures
used pot...very few of them smoked it they all refined it... some
put bee hives next to their crop..the honey turned emerald green
they used the honey and trashed the pot plants... it takes a lot
of pot plants to do this. or they made hash... or put it into the
clay pots they made... very few cultures smoked it in pipes most
refined it and upped the thc content....

years ago i
used to get just the leaves and make brownies...one brownie lasted
a day.... one of my roomates used to make hash oil from low grade
pot in his kitchen... it was dam close to 100% thc ...and he did this
in his kitchen ...it isn't that complicated to do if my roomate can
do it....even butter made from pot is pretty high in thc....they
are a number of ways to refine pot

when they looked for gold in ca they didn't just look for 100% gold
nuggets..instead they refined the gold ore into 100% gold....

so i say get with it medical pot providers ...refine...reduce prices
before commercial growers take over and grow low grade pot
refine it into pure thc capsules and sell it to pharmacies...then the high price days will be over for good..

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didn't read the post, but I am sure someone already mentioned that the price of medical marijuana remains high because it cannot be sold under black market value. If it was sold under black market value, you could go to a dispensary, sell it on the streets and make money.

J

JeffSpicoli

i live in mendo; p's are as low as 1000 for outdoor with some seeds all the way to 3500 for what some mention as "rockstar"... some try to say 36 - 38, but it just doesnt happen... 2k is pretty average for ... average outys.. who wants that unless you're 'o.o.s.' ..... i know for a fact all the quality indoor in this area, the emerald triangle, expect to pay 3k-36 for THE DANK. Everyone knows their bomb indoor will bring something that starts with a 3; if it's less, it just wasn't all there like its supposed to be. Its not uncommon for stores or even other buyers in the Bay to pay over 4k, and as much as 5+ in LA... always effecting the 'medical' prices... simple solution ; get good at growing if you aren't already, and stick at it.

you nailed it. the gap goes from about $800-$5600 (for southern california). Thats the price range dispensary buy at. Only stuff going for 5-56 is og, and for the most part 52 is the highest. but 54-56 can happen for the best of the best og out there. Pretty much all other strains of "top Shelf" go from 38-48. Most standard good dank would go for like 32-36... This has been my understanding of the prices that clubs pay..

als83

I didn't read the post, but I am sure someone already mentioned that the price of medical marijuana remains high because it cannot be sold under black market value. If it was sold under black market value, you could go to a dispensary, sell it on the streets and make money.

thats insane... my insurance won't cover my pain medicine... nerve pain
really sucks....i cannot afford my medical pot ...and suffer in pain

if thc caps were sold in pharmacies...with all the other drugs....
this would not be a problem...as you just go to your local pharmacy
and get it... with the insurance paying it as they pay for my other meds...

also to get into the dispensaries your suppose to be sick and suppose
to use it for yourself....not making a profit of your meds....this is what
gets dispensaries shut down...

medical pot growers need stop trying to grow the "perfect pot plant" give it up refine the low grade pot into hash, hash oil, thc caps etc...

do it now before state laws change and mandate
that it be done....

als guy

als

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Its a racket but until you have an alternative that truly operates on a compassionate basis what alternative do you have?

I guess you could designate a grower to take care of you but that assumes you can find a good grower. My :2cents:

Michigan's Law is designed just as your last comment. The problem is, 'experienced caregivers' are not following the law but, desire to continue business as usual, only with legal protections.

I could go on but, I'll just get in to trouble, again

bigbrokush

Here is the one thing that I love about this subject, the cost to joe public. I see that so many cry all the time about how this stuff cost. Well................ let's look at it like this, the prices of a gram have now gone up in years and I do mean years. Just because you're not buying it from the streets you are 1 get more and a choice for your dollar. If that's not good enough for you then you can go to Lowes or somewhere like that and grab a few pots then to your hydro store and get some lights and plant food and go for what you know.
But you have to say that no matter what a business have the RIGHT to make money. And in this business you better pay the people that work for you VERY well. Because if not there can be things that happen to you that you just don't understand.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Here is the one thing that I love about this subject, the cost to joe public. I see that so many cry all the time about how this stuff cost. Well................ let's look at it like this, the prices of a gram have now gone up in years and I do mean years. Just because you're not buying it from the streets you are 1 get more and a choice for your dollar. If that's not good enough for you then you can go to Lowes or somewhere like that and grab a few pots then to your hydro store and get some lights and plant food and go for what you know.
But you have to say that no matter what a business have the RIGHT to make money. And in this business you better pay the people that work for you VERY well. Because if not there can be things that happen to you that you just don't understand.

And in this business you better pay the people that work for you VERY well.
Because if not there can be things that happen to you that you just don't understand

Could you explain this comment further ?

Balazar

Businesses do have a right to make money this is supposed to be a capitalists republic. The problem I see as the biggest at this point is that insurance company's will not pay for this medicine like other prescriptions. I don't want to start a health care debate here but I do want to pose this question; How come there are no dispensaries pushing for insurance coverage of this medicine? Wouldn't you think they would get more business if people only had to pay a few dollars and their medical benefits payed the rest? Where I am (Colorado) it is 50/60/70 an eighth.:YaRight: Or you can buy an ounce and save a little bit but not much. I get a choice of what kind in the dispensary but if I go to the kid down the street I can buy the same level of quality for around 25% less. The community doesn't seem to be about helping sick people, its more about doing what they want to do without being harassed; and making as much money as possible in this "cannabis gold rush". Whats fair and whats right have fallen by the side of what makes money and whats you can get away with and still be in the bounds of the state law. There are some dispensaries that I support and some that I boycott, I'm sure it's probly like this in other places too.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Goddamnit, it really pisses me off when people say 'it's just a weed'. Go to dictionary.com and look up the fucking word...it's an unwanted plant. There's no requirement that the unwanted plant be large, or grow quickly. How many of you have grown algae in your system? That plant is microscopic. Did any of you want algae growing in your hydroponic systems? Algae is a single cell, microscopic plant, hardly large, definitely a weed. Christ almighty, hemp may not have been the first domesticated plant in existence, but it was definitely one of the first 5. If cannabis is a weed then there's no such thing as a non-weed.

But it's amazing to see how well propaganda works. Seriously, how did cannabis get to be a 'weed'? It was declared an unwanted plant by the US gov't. Still people fall for the bullshit over and over again.