What's new

Why do the most popular varieties come from American breeders?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Many say Vietnam weed was what got the US first interested in good smoke.

Yeah...
Because the Jazz scene weed in the 30's & 40's just wasn't good enough, right?

I've never heard what you mention until just now. crazy.

JetLife175

Veteran
I was gonna make a pretty insightful comment but after seeing all the hate for Americans like myself it’s not even worth it. We will keep pumping out the fire while the rest of you try to keep up.

troutman

Seed Whore
Pretty sure he was making a Borat reference. US and A very nice! Freaking movie cracks me up!

0223-borat-Sacha-Baron-Cohen_full_600.jpg

W

Water-

a good source of S1s of high grade US cuts from the pacific northwest is Csi humboldt and its sister company Pirates of the emerald triangle which makes f1s

Nspecta is a member here and he has some great stuff you can not get on line anywhere else.

great old school cuts.

humboldtcsi.com

check out their instagram

blays0r

That's easy. It's because America has been all about the biggest, baddest, best everything since 1776. Even George Washington was running the best hemp available! And, the trend will surely continue until China takes over (just due to sheer numbers alone).

You don't believe me? You think I'm making it up? You think I'm trying to, uh, you know, enhance the story because I'm involved? Because I'm telling you a story about America? I dare you to challenge Northern Cali to a smoke-off.
Challenge them! Aight?
And make sure your people is there to see it. 'Cause you might get embarrassed.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
The USA is a huge country. Vast parts of it are ideal for growing cannabis outdoors. Most of Europe does not have a climate for growing cannabis and until recently the areas that did politically were not conducive to growing.
For a long time Europe has had a hashish smoking culture it's only recently that Europeans have switched to smoking buds. Even in Amsterdam most people would prefer a hashish-tobacco mix to green buds. Besides the Netherlands, Europe has been slow to catch onto the indoor growing scene. It's always been much easier to import hashish from the production parts of Africa and Asia.
The USA is much further from the traditional export hashish cultures. The areas in the New World that exported cannabis to the US were ganja growing cultures instead of hashish producing. Plus the wide open spaces and porous borders (until recently) allowed large shipments of buds to slip through. In Europe hashish is much easier to smuggle across borders.
All the seeded cannabis imported to the US, as opposed to Hashish which does not contain seeds, gave growers in the US a vast amount of superior genetics to work with. Once Thai sticks and Afghan seeds entered the arena in the late 70s it was on.
To me it's strange that people argue over this kind of stuff it seems obvious. Real cannabis breeding didn't start in Europe until the 80s when the US, Canada, and Mexico were decades ahead. And the stuff Europeans were breeding, Skunk, Haze, Northern Lights, Hashplant, Bubblegum, all came from the US.
As far as the argument that strains had been bred for thousands of years before the modern US drug cannabis breeding craze. Those were Landraces adapted to specific regions. There are many excellent cultivars but the US was where these were gathered, hybridized, and adapted to indoor growing and temperate climates. From all the great ganja that was imported in the 60's and 70s. The US had the pick of the entire world to select from. And pick the best and toss what wasn't as good.

What you said about the hashish smoking culture in Europe is true and thats why the mix with tobacco.There was brickweed available from Indonesia, India, Colombia in Holland and hashish from Morocco, Turkey, Afghanistan , Lebanon etc.
Actually there was already genetics in Europe available that was not from the US, perhaps not so potent as some genetics from the US, but it was acclimatised to the Northern European weather and that means also mold resistant.What came from California was to late for harvesting outside or not acclimatised to the humid weather.
Neville and Old Ed did some wonderfull things for growing outside, unfortunately most of these genetics are gone.

B

bench warmer

I thoroughly appreciate the way cultivars have been saved/preserved ANYWHERE for the worldwide distribution of top shelf cannabis.

Borders tend to potentially breed hatred, greed, violence & misunderstandings.

Most of America is beautiful ... as is most of the rest of our continent...as is most of our blessed planet that has generously provided this amazing plant.

I’m grateful for the diversity & improvements (as deemed by our human endo-Cannabinoidal systems).

Being a long-term BC grower, I’ve learned that “ego” hinders the progress of both the overall cannabis “movement” & the developmental side of breeding.

:ying: Bench

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I was gonna make a pretty insightful comment but after seeing all the hate for Americans like myself it’s not even worth it. We will keep pumping out the fire while the rest of you try to keep up.

G `day Jet

Long time , no speak .

See that`s where the animosity starts , Talkin down to people and telling them they and their nation / culture are less .
And USA is best .

If you think that Cali is the only place in the world that grows primo herb .
You need to visit some more places and get better informed .

Its the global village these days .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I spent 4 months working in the States in the late 90s and I agree. What struck me was how friendly and polite people were. I'm not sure if that's because I was Australian but that was my impression. I never came across the stereotypical "idiot American" either. I had nothing but positive experiences. People were friendly, open and genuinely interested in Australia. I would live there without a second thought. Except the weather sucks. :)

Aussies & Kiwis are, by my estimation, some of the friendliest folks around, so they get treated nice. although they DO get pissed if you mistake one for the other because of their accents, LOL! the "typical idiot American" normally does not travel any further than the closest beach (Myrtle), Gatlinburg, or Disney World in their lifetime; which i am thankful for. it is all we can do to live down the embarrassment they cause us here in THIS country by throwing trash out the car window, emptying their ashtray at red lights, driving 45 mph in the fast lane on the interstate etc...:biggrin:

insomniac_AU

Aussies & Kiwis are, by my estimation, some of the friendliest folks around, so they get treated nice. although they DO get pissed if you mistake one for the other because of their accents, LOL! the "typical idiot American" normally does not travel any further than the closest beach (Myrtle), Gatlinburg, or Disney World in their lifetime; which i am thankful for. it is all we can do to live down the embarrassment they cause us here in THIS country by throwing trash out the car window, emptying their ashtray at red lights, driving 45 mph in the fast lane on the interstate etc...:biggrin:
Don't get me wrong there are just as many "idiot Australians" I think there are idiots in every country.
I worked for an Australian supplier to Subaru of Indiana and was based in Lafayette Indiana. Spent quite a bit of time in Chicago and also went to LA. Was a great time. Apart from the weather. I was only there 4 months and when I got there it was about 35c (95f) and when I left it was -6c (20f) in the mornings and locals said it wasn't even cold yet. That was mid December.
*Sorry have no more rep to give today

highsteppa

Veteran
Some thoughts of why US has the best breeder not exactly in order

Jazz
Beatniks
The 60’s/freaks/the dead
Vietnam and vets
Bikers
Proximitiy to Mex/s.amer imports
Surfers
California
HI production (import x indica)
Medical farms in Ky 1930’s
Skaters/hip hop
NYC and Florida

W

Water-

depends what colour you skin is

The "typical idiot American" normally does not travel any further than the closest beach (Myrtle), Gatlinburg, or Disney World in their lifetime; which i am thankful for.

I met some in a dutch Bar ... they honestly asked me how the war was going for germany ... after a few confused seconds I realized they meant WW2.

CannaZen

I met some in a dutch Bar ... they honestly asked me how the war was going for germany ... after a few confused seconds I realized they meant WW2.

That is deplorable! Why would they say that..

Dumb losers?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts