What's new

Why do the most popular varieties come from American breeders?

G

growhigh1233

i think American breeders are good if your looking for interestingly flavored indica plants with bizarre names

but as far as quality sativa highs go .............. Europe still rules the roost imo

also when it comes to genetic compassion ...............there allot of dutch n Canadian breeding in the best loved American strains (blue dream for e.g) .........in the same way holland borrowed so much from america in the 80's 90's 00's

JetLife175

Veteran
All politics and bullshit aside it's because we've always had the fire.

From before Neville and Sam. They brought American varieties that were kept to Amsterdam. It's always been about the American, namely California being a tastemaker when it comes to global cannabis trends.

People all around the world crave for the "Cali pack" nowadays. With the proliferation of legalization and the internet this has only been kicked into maximum overdrive. Plain and simple.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
i think American breeders are good if your looking for interestingly flavored indica plants with bizarre names

but as far as quality sativa highs go .............. Europe still rules the roost imo
Completely agree. For whatever reason (perhaps the opioid epidemic?) it seems to be all about fast flowering, high potency indica's. I do see more interest now in sativas and hazes which is promising, but for my preferred high, it's not found in US genetics.
Obviously economics plays a huge part. I can't see commercial growers choosing long flowering sativas, over a quick cash crop. Plus THC content plays a huge part in marketing.

mexweed

Veteran
It's because a lot of the European strains haven't been preserved properly and nowadays they are straight boof

There is a strain still around called white walker kush that is white widowXskywalker (not OG) and it is never a top shelf/premium offering because it sucks no matter what grow it comes from

Rhizoma

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that northern California and the Northwest reached a critical mass of growers and breeders before most of the rest of the western world. If you knew a lot of people who were holding elite clones or seed lines and were willing to trade it was easier to breed.

I think another point in the early days was that flower was prevalent in North America while hash was more common in Europe so North American growers had a wider array of bagseed to work with.
I thought as well that US had some limitations in receiving seeds of new genetic, so lot of passionate start to produce their own.
To mention also that the majority of "landraces" where brought by US people during wars or proximity with countries with interesting genetics (Mexico for example)

Asentrouw

Wherever some degree of tolerance and legalisation is in regard of cannabis, the new trends will be set. This was the case when Holland still had liberal cannabis laws, followed by Spain and now the USA after some states went legal.

It's no suprise if breeders can work more plants, have better means and face less repression, they have better results then less privileged breeders.

Asentrouw

It's because a lot of the European strains haven't been preserved properly and nowadays they are straight boof

This is also because repression and laws in Europe constantly change.

The haydays of Dutch cannabis is long gone as the government became increasingly repressive. Seedbanks and breeders were raided and lost their stocks, clones and posession of growing equipment are banned and severe repressive laws put up against growers. So many genetics are lost as the direct result of that.

In the USA we see the opposite; more and more states legalize cannabis and the commercial market is huge there. So no wonder that this is the new epicenter of breeding.

Ca++

No matter who creates the best, everyone has the seeds in a couple of months. No continent can keep an advantage.
If this needs a model representation, look at Thailand. Their own weed has about gone overnight. It's now all stuff we know they didn't do. Soon they will cross it, and rename it, and we will see these new things as theirs. The quality of which, is as much about luck as anything. They will level up in weeks, not years.

We all have our favourite places to score, no doubt. I do doubt that any are consistently better though. If they were, it's by a few months. Not enough time to really notice.

I have noticed city weed in AMS to of got too damp to smoke over the last few visits. Going shop to shop, trying to find something on the menu that's dry is exhausting. With the chances of dry and good making a flight home to fetch some seem realistic. In this respect, Holland is ruined. Dispensary weeds going to beat it. However, I don't see this extending to seed stock. I have no bias where stuff comes from, except it needs to be well known. Most of my stock is Dutch, or hybrids of Dutch with American. Nothing just American. Even my OG is reworked, to speed it up. I can name a few Dutch breeders, but as I type, no US one's come to mind. I'm open to exposure, as you can see with me being here. Yet I always narrow it down to Dutch seed companies.

A possible explanation, is my desire to try the new kids weed, crossed with a solid genetic I know of. I usually find these come from a Dutch breeder, crossing the American kids weed, with the dutch Kush or the AUS/US Critical. As such, it's Dutch now. It has been for about 5 minutes. In another 5, it will be rebranded elsewhere. With an unrecognisable name. Which I won't take a risk on.

Nowhere can keep a meaningful advantage. To pick the best, would just be my bias. Which leans towards the Dutch, according to my fridge collection.

Asentrouw

I have noticed city weed in AMS to of got too damp to smoke over the last few visits. Going shop to shop, trying to find something on the menu that's dry is exhausting. With the chances of dry and good making a flight home to fetch some seem realistic. In this respect, Holland is ruined. Dispensary weeds going to beat it. However, I don't see this extending to seed stock. I have no bias where stuff comes from, except it needs to be well known. Most of my stock is Dutch, or hybrids of Dutch with American. Nothing just American. Even my OG is reworked, to speed it up. I can name a few Dutch breeders, but as I type, no US one's come to mind. I'm open to exposure, as you can see with me being here. Yet I always narrow it down to Dutch seed companies.

The problem in Holland is that since the late 90's the Dutch government started to crackdown on growers.

In the '90s you could get away with a working sentence and a fine for a hundred plants or so. Good clones you could buy at any growshop in any town for a few bucks a piece. They helped to set up your whole operation.

These days the autorities take away your car, your house and you be paying the rest of your life to the tax agencies and justice departments if you get caught. Growshops and breeders are hassled with all kind of unclear new laws and raids, so they go bankrupt or relocate abroad (Spain, etc.).

This means a lot of the idealist growers of the past stopped as it is no longer worth the fuss and made way for hard organized crime, who are only interested in fast money rather then good quality. So the quality of Dutch genetics and coffeeshop stash decreased drastically since the '90s because of this.

While cannabis was only tolerance policy in Holland, we now see full legalization in the US. There it has become a huge commercial market, dominated by relatively big corporations who have lots of money to spent. So ofcourse this means all new hyped "superstrains" now come from there.

The downside is that this commercialization of cannabis also means mass marketing; all these so-called hyped "new" superstrains are based on all the same old genetics - most of which were already worked on in Holland before.

And as this is what the cannabis market dictates, this is also what will overtake the new markets in legalizing countries like Thailand and South-Africa. It will probably mean the watering down or even demise of the regional traditional landraces there. This was already the case with "Dutchized" strains and will probably only increase further with the hyped US strains of today. That's a pitty.

Ofcourse there is some serious work done with landraces these days by some breeders, but it's a fringe thing as it is not where the big money is at. Everybody seems to want the OG's, Chems, GSC's, GG#4's and high THC "superweed" that's promoted these days. 🤣

Last edited:

I Care

No matter who creates the best, everyone has the seeds in a couple of months. No continent can keep an advantage.
If this needs a model representation, look at Thailand. Their own weed has about gone overnight. It's now all stuff we know they didn't do. Soon they will cross it, and rename it, and we will see these new things as theirs. The quality of which, is as much about luck as anything. They will level up in weeks, not years.

We all have our favourite places to score, no doubt. I do doubt that any are consistently better though. If they were, it's by a few months. Not enough time to really notice.

A possible explanation, is my desire to try the new kids weed, crossed with a solid genetic I know of. I usually find these come from a Dutch breeder, crossing the American kids weed, with the dutch Kush or the AUS/US Critical. As such, it's Dutch now. It has been for about 5 minutes. In any 5, it will be rebranded elsewhere. With an unrecognisable name. Which I won't take a risk on.

Nowhere can keep a meaningful advantage. To pick the best, would just be my bias. Which leans towards the Dutch, according to my fridge collection.

Hey, try Pyramid. It’s a drive out of the city, they had some silver haze when I was there.

The problem in Holland is that since the late 90's the Dutch government started to crackdown on growers.

In the '90s you could get away with a working sentence and a fine for a hundred plants or so. Good clones you could buy at any growshop in any town for a few bucks a piece. They helped to set up your whole operation.

These days the autorities take away your car, your house and you be paying the rest of your life to the tax agencies and justice departments if you get caught. Growshops and breeders are hassled with all kind of unclear new laws and raids, so they go bankrupt or relocate abroad (Spain, etc.).

This means a lot of the idealist growers of the past stopped as it is no longer worth the fuss and made way for hard organized crime, who are only interested in fast money rather then good quality. So the quality of Dutch genetics and coffeeshop stash decreased drastically since the '90s because of this.

While cannabis was only tolerance policy in Holland, we now see full legalization in the US. There it has become a huge commercial market, dominated by relatively big corporations who have lots of money to spent. So ofcourse this means all new hyped "superstrains" now come from there.

The downside is that this commercialization of cannabis also means mass marketing; all these so-called hyped "new" superstrains are based on all the same old genetics - most of which were already worked on in Holland before.

And as this is what the cannabis market dictates, this is also what will overtake the new markets in legalizing countries like Thailand and South-Africa. It will probably mean the watering down or even demise of the regional traditional landraces there. This was already the case with "Dutchized" strains and will probably only increase further with the hyped US strains of today. That's a pitty.

Ofcourse there is some serious work done with landraces these days by some breeders, but it's a fringe thing as it is not where the big money is at. Everybody seems to want the OG's, Chems, GSC's, GG#4's and high THC "superweed" that's promoted these days. 🤣

That’s been the law in the US for a long time. Why a lot of people have been guerrilla growing, living with family, don’t really have much. I’ve met some people paying their dues for each year’s play money, but not having much for possessions. It’s a lot of credit due to the guys on the grounds.

Lot strange history in the US because of ct prosecution and gv extortion. It’s why there’s these strains there’s a member here that grows legal in Oklahoma and he got 4ps per hid fixture. Apply same yield to the risk vs reward principle, it’s why you get all the supers from the people who were risking it all for a long time now.

Asentrouw

That’s been the law in the US for a long time. Why a lot of people have been guerrilla growing, living with family, don’t really have much. I’ve met some people paying their dues for each year’s play money, but not having much for possessions. It’s a lot of credit due to the guys on the grounds.

Lot strange history in the US because of ct prosecution and gv extortion. It’s why there’s these strains there’s a member here that grows legal in Oklahoma and he got 4ps per hid fixture. Apply same yield to the risk vs reward principle, it’s why you get all the supers from the people who were risking it all for a long time now.
Ofcourse all credit goes to the idealists everywhere who did the groundwork, mostly under illegal circumstances. Those who don't merely do it for profit, but for love of the plant.

In the end lots of the Dutch strains were simply ripped off from other peoples work, collected and commercialized by handy traders, who could operate quite freely here in those days. So they created the new hypes; new popular variaties. I guess it's not very different in the States nowadays.

But in Holland repression and severe punishments now has pushed growing towards organized crime. There is not much interest for most people anymore to hobby and make a easy buck, if your entire lifelyhood is at stake. On the other hand organized criminal networks have the means to grow big scale operations, while the corrupt authorities have little interest or capacity to role up these networks. But they don't grow for love of the plant, just for profits.

As it is made impossible for those traders to do bussiness in Holland anymore, they move abroad or are outcompeted by those in other more liberal countries.

Even while there is legalization in the US, I'm afraid that the situation for the idealist growers in the States will not be much different after legalization in the US. The cannabis market will be dominated by the few big players who monopolize the cannabis market. Smalltime growers can no longer compete and will be countered and repressed by the state untill there is no competition left. That's bussiness as usual.

I take the grow collectives and smalltime breeders over the big seedbanks anytime. The prices socalled "elite" clones and some seeds are sold for these days are quite scandalous. 🤣

Last edited:

I Care

“Market will be” dominated? Have you been in a coma?
I got a gmo cutting for 20, I did see cuttings online advertised at 250. Same place had something for 1000, maybe truffle something truffle

Asentrouw

“Market will be” dominated? Have you been in a coma?
I got a gmo cutting for 20, I did see cuttings online advertised at 250. Same place had something for 1000, maybe truffle something truffle
Whatever the fool wants to pay for it. Here in the good days we payed 1, maybe 3 bucks for a very good clone in the growshop. So the prices across the ocean sound quite high to me. Must be really "super super elite" to pay a 1000 dollars for one clone. 😅

But when big bussiness and private equity investors (BlackRock, Monsanto, etc) get a thight hold on the market, they will dominate and monopolize it. And usually that's not a good thing for the grower or consumer. 😉

Last edited: