What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do the most popular varieties come from American breeders?

Mithridate

I can't swear to it, because my memory is definitely not what it used to be, but I'm pretty sure Vic was talking about a blueberry he got from SAG, that he strongly suggested was treated with colchicine by DJ.

This most assuredly was not HLV, at least in my imnsho.

I also vaguely recall talk in the archives of (possible) colchicine experiment on early blueberry. Ot1 mention of sap transmission points to him encountering similar troubles and raising a flag.

I cannot confirm as I wasn't there, but that's how I interpreted it...

Maybe?

mexweed

Veteran
Bet that it has been coming through in seeds

According to Ethos it's not transmissible through seeds, they cite a hops study where f1s were made with infected parents and the f1s weren't infected, when moved outdoors from greenhouse it reemerged over 10 years in only 2 of the samples at a very low level indicating contamination from the environment

I Care

“…experiments have shown that HLVd can be transmitted via seed, either from infected males crossing with healthy females or healthy males crossing with infected females. In both cases, HLVd was detected on the seed coat and inside the seed.”

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting thread, and i think the reasons why have been well explored -
Basically time and space and access to the seeds of diverse imported genetics.

In the UK, i started smoking in the late 80's and it was hash, if you were lucky it was slate from Morocco or Red seal from Afghanistan.. and increasingly 'soapbar' from Spain which started off quite good but the quality dropped over the years. (you could find bits of plastic in the bars from when it had been unwrapped from it's original form and melted down/adulterated)
but the main things was that it was all hash and no weed with seeds. Eventually we got some African 'bush' type weed.. but the first time i had Thai or anything else exotic was when i visited Amsterdam.

In the USA it sounds like there was a lot of imported Weed, with seeds, from various and diverse exotic places. In addition to that there are vast open spaces with a climate favorable for cultivation (not the case in Northern Europe, certainly not UK )
and America taking the lead on medicinal use and legalisation means that a whole scene could develop out in the open... with proper investment and promotion.
Cannabis is a natural outcrosser, it is wind pollinated and wants to hybridise..(desire for inbreeding is purely a human construct and not so healthy for the plant) So when there were varieties from around the world able to hybridize for the first time it was inevitable that new, more potent/aromatic varieties would emerge and become popular.

Some of this is down to the skill of breeders and some is down to luck/numbers. Let's not forget that the (probably) most successful clone and breeding strain from the last 20 years is Chem D which was simply accidental bagseed.

VG

mexweed

Veteran
It gets destroyed during the mitosis stage of germination, detectable thresholds are not the same as infectious thresholds

"while HLVd can propagate in hop pollen, it is eliminated during the first stages of mitosis, and no viroid was detectable in in vitro germinating pollen, suggesting complete degradation of circular and linear HLVd forms."

Last edited:

I Care

Your link does cite studies @mexweed. This link I shared is for a company that does testing, there are no studies or resources provided for who did these experiments and they don’t credit themselves either. Possibly BS

To add that the ethos article uses a study from 2000 to explain that HLVs don’t spread. Maybe there is more modern info out there now

oldmaninbc

Interesting thread, and i think the reasons why have been well explored -
Basically time and space and access to the seeds of diverse imported genetics.

In the UK, i started smoking in the late 80's and it was hash, if you were lucky it was slate from Morocco or Red seal from Afghanistan.. and increasingly 'soapbar' from Spain which started off quite good but the quality dropped over the years. (you could find bits of plastic in the bars from when it had been unwrapped from it's original form and melted down/adulterated)
but the main things was that it was all hash and no weed with seeds. Eventually we got some African 'bush' type weed.. but the first time i had Thai or anything else exotic was when i visited Amsterdam.

In the USA it sounds like there was a lot of imported Weed, with seeds, from various and diverse exotic places. In addition to that there are vast open spaces with a climate favorable for cultivation (not the case in Northern Europe, certainly not UK )
and America taking the lead on medicinal use and legalisation means that a whole scene could develop out in the open... with proper investment and promotion.
Cannabis is a natural outcrosser, it is wind pollinated and wants to hybridise..(desire for inbreeding is purely a human construct and not so healthy for the plant) So when there were varieties from around the world able to hybridize for the first time it was inevitable that new, more potent/aromatic varieties would emerge and become popular.

Some of this is down to the skill of breeders and some is down to luck/numbers. Let's not forget that the (probably) most successful clone and breeding strain from the last 20 years is Chem D which was simply accidental bagseed.

VG
The first marijuana seeds I seen (60s central canada) came not from weed but from a block of hash. The seeds were viable as well.

Fabipakalolo

i think marijuana fetches the highest price in the united states, which plays a role in diversity when people move and ship here and what seeds they bring with them and what seeds are the best when people found them in bags they bought themselves

there may be other factors as to why people smoke so much here if they do smoke more than other countries

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
why-do-the-most-popular-varieties-come-from-american-breeders?
blame 60s beatniks and 70s hippies 80s Disco ☮️

this. because there is great alternative culture in USA. a lot of freedom. pluse american sense for competition.

now there is great cannabis culture in USA. what Americans achieved in last years, as far as legality, is amazing... but even before that... breeders like DJ Short or Skunkman and others, they changed the map. from backyard weed to highly designed varieties.

engine

The conditions in the US are much better than in the Netherlands or somewhere else in the EU. Even before the legalization! Due it's size and thin density of population the US always gave enough "room" to do semi-legal stuff. Cheap power and long + hot summers in the south-west states did their part as well.

Growing in the Netherlands and Spain (except for private use) is still illegal till today and the power-costs are 3-5 times higher than in the US. All these conditions keep the development of a whole industry down.

Take me for example: I did my first grown back in 2001 with 6 plants and in the following years I had about 6-12 plants per year but I never leveled up from there!
The power is to expensive, guerilla-growing-spots are limited and the variety of strains who are able to survive the short, wet and cold summers doing their part as well.

Between 2011 and 2021 I stabilized and improved (removed the binge eating) the Dieselryder-Strain (which was created by JointDoctor in BC back in 2010 by crossing LowRyder with NYCDiesel) why? As it is an Automatic Strain it is possible to grow up to 3 different generations per year which gives enough potential for selection and stabilization.

Even if the law would change, the insane power-costs would make a commercial Cannabis-production uneconomical anyway. So, the only way for Europe would be the import of Cannabis-products, but as long as the Americans do not change their limited mindset for exports, nobody will gain anything from the current situation.

Last edited: