What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do the most popular varieties come from American breeders?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=&quot]Same question to you[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Are you serious?
or
Are you just trying to be a dick?[/FONT]

Complete over reaction! & you are a site donor as well!
Dude I’m 42 & there was nothing factually wrong about what I said. I’m not sure why it has offended you so much & quite frankly at this point don’t care. I have up to this point been polite in my comments, you on the other hand seem to think that your donor badge gives you the right to be an impolite obnoxious twat.
You don’t like what I’m saying, hit the ignore button & grow up you pompous sack of dicks.

And you dont think calling Americans SHEEP is an over reaction?

Like I already said....
Get the fuck outa here with your hyperbole!

And I never called you names. You're arguments are WEAK!
Who's the pompous one now?

kushedy

And you dont think calling Americans SHEEP is an over reaction?

Like I already said....
Get the fuck outa here with your hyperbole!

And I never called you names. You're arguments are WEAK!
Who's the pompous one now?
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]F*ck you. You were rude, impolite & kicked off. That doesn’t wash pal. You don’t go around kicking off at people like that. That’s why the word rude was invented! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
I didn’t call all Americans sheep! Every country has sheep, that’s just the way it is. As you pointed out we are all sheep to an extent.

Don’t try to make excuses you pea brained f*ck wit. If you attack someone you should expect to get the same & possibly more in return so don’t act all hurt & offended when it comes back at you.

kushedy

Currently or historically?

If we're talking about the past, anybody that gives Sam any hell deserves to be dry for the next few years.
Anybody who disagrees with Nevil should suffer the same!

If it weren't for these two guys, modern day varieties would be much much different, I presume.

Currently...
I'd say Bodhi is at the top of the list with a few others like Karma, Relentless, Greenpoint, Top Dawg, TGA, Chimera, Cannacopia, Joey Weed... Really there's too many good American breeders to list.

As well, I would include a couple Spanish breeders, ACE & CBG.
I don't see a whole lot coming out of europe but there are some good folks there as well, but this thread is about American breeders.

[FONT=&quot]Really. Sam hosted a thread recently about how cannabis travelled the world before America as we know it came into being. It was grown, crossed & traded well before any of us drew a breath. You may have the monopoly now since you have taken Amsterdam’s crown of being number 1 stoner holiday destination but to think you literally invented the stuff & the trade is f*cking comical.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
American self-importance perhaps? Grow up mate

P.s. there are some breeders you mentioned who yes do have good reps, there are also a pile who have a little history of hemi’s & S1’s thrown together because they have popular names that sell.
I wouldn’t have ever bothered bringing that up but since you decided to go down this route…..
You ride the hype train for every penny its worth. I’m sure the Europeans will do the same when the wave of legalization reaches their shores. Obviously, they’ll have to come to you first for genetics & instructions on how to breed.

kushedy

Murica has no shortage of sheeple. Have not been enough other places to compare. Fox news, fast food and bud light fill the void between the ears of many, many people.

It’s the same in every country. Anyway, that is really derailing the thread in a big way, my bad.

There’s a lot of good weed coming out of America these days. Legalization has brought in investment which has in turn led to development & progress. Unfortunately, though you have to take the rough with the smooth & it appears everyone & their dog is jumping on board to try & milk the cash cow for all its worth. The S1 business has never been more vibrant.
I read on another thread that price wars in certain areas have broken out where there is so much excess weed.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=&quot]Really. Sam hosted a thread recently about how cannabis travelled the world before America as we know it came into being. It was grown, crossed & traded well before any of us drew a breath. You may have the monopoly now since you have taken Amsterdam’s crown of being number 1 stoner holiday destination but to think you literally invented the stuff & the trade is f*cking comical.[/FONT]

American self-importance perhaps? Grow up mate

P.s. there are some breeders you mentioned who yes do have good reps, there are also a pile who have a little history of hemi’s & S1’s thrown together because they have popular names that sell.
I wouldn’t have ever bothered bringing that up but since you decided to go down this route…..
You ride the hype train for every penny its worth. I’m sure the Europeans will do the same when the wave of legalization reaches their shores. Obviously, they’ll have to come to you first for genetics & instructions on how to breed.

This thread is about AMERICAN BREEDERS so I listed what I believe to be at the top.

If you're NOT using American genetics You have ZERO say in the matter.
:tiphat:

kushedy

This thread is about AMERICAN BREEDERS so I listed what I believe to be at the top.

If you're NOT using American genetics You have ZERO say in the matter.
:tiphat:

The vast majority of what are classed as American genetics were actually imported. Look at the origins of the beloved chem, sorry guessed origins of chem or even Kush. Pretty sure Kush came from Pakistan before being crossed & having its name stolen. Thai is also not a native strain to America either.

I have previously & do intend to carry on using American genetics going forward. As far as I am aware there is no law against that, yet & as I have already stated there are some great strains & breeding coming out of America. Not sure why I have to keep repeating that...

I have no beef with America or the vast majority of its people, just one or two.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
In order to properly understand what is happen currently in American cannabis it helps to understand how it compares to other cultures. Much of our culture is about powerful advertising and trends. Anything remotely good or original starts its own hype machine. Holland became known for genetics after American strains were grown out and bred...... all the way until most dutch seedbanks became known for 1000s of bland strains. Ill call them NL/haze/skunk F420. Lol. Anyways most of the US scene is line breeding a nice chem/cookies/og kush line that will likely be equally fantastic.

US has great and unique herb. And there are many groups of people both improving and screwing up all sort of stains. The real stars in my opinion are those looking to both improve and preserve diversity.

I am well aware companies such as Ace or RSC are not from here. But those are the type of companies that are truly helping cannabis evolve. Any anyone breeding with huge numbers looking for truly fantastic plants to breed and share.

kushedy

In order to properly understand what is happen currently in American cannabis it helps to understand how it compares to other cultures. Much of our culture is about powerful advertising and trends. Anything remotely good or original starts its own hype machine. Holland became known for genetics after American strains were grown out and bred...... all the way until most dutch seedbanks became known for 1000s of bland strains. Ill call them NL/haze/skunk F420. Lol. Anyways most of the US scene is line breeding a nice chem/cookies/og kush line that will likely be equally fantastic.

US has great and unique herb. And there are many groups of people both improving and screwing up all sort of stains. The real stars in my opinion are those looking to both improve and preserve diversity.

I am well aware companies such as Ace or RSC are not from here. But those are the type of companies that are truly helping cannabis evolve. Any anyone breeding with huge numbers looking for truly fantastic plants to breed and share.

Agreed. I know Snowhigh had been doing a lot of work with preserving & making new crosses wtih landraace strains that looked quite interesting. Ace, again can't be argued with really.

I know Bodhi is mentioned a lot. Not tried any of his gear but he's on my list once I get the seed vault down to size a little.

insomniac_AU

The fact is cannabis is a miracle plant that has been treasured by humans for thousands of years. Each generation lovingly selecting and breeding. Seeds being brought from other countries and crossed with local strains. Over all that time everyone has played their part in getting to where we are now. It will be up to the next generation to continue this generation's work wherever that may be. It just happens that right now the US is doing the bulk of the work. That doesn't make work done by people in the past in other countries any less significant.

kushedy

The fact is cannabis is a miracle plant that has been treasured by humans for thousands of years. Each generation lovingly selecting and breeding. Seeds being brought from other countries and crossed with local strains. Over all that time everyone has played their part in getting to where we are now. It will be up to the next generation to continue this generation's work wherever that may be. It just happens that right now the US is doing the bulk of the work. That doesn't make work done by people in the past in other countries any less significant.

True. Although there have already been some good things come from the States genetics wise it make you wonder where we will be on say 10 years’ time. Plus, rope in the fact that legalization seems to be spreading around the world.
I suspect we are going to see huge improvements in not only the type, taste & high of strains offered but also their medical value as well.

REALPOTency

Veteran
the European genetics is lack in terp profile,
and the plant structure is the same, bigbud colas,
high thc but not good flavor, only weed flavor generic

the white widow is the only good one balanced,
and for me wwidow is the best European because is original old school,
amnesia very high thc but not terp

the USA genetics have a lot of terp profile&high THC,
flavor, strawberry, cookies, glue, modern hybrid, etc

and this in concentrated times is prevalent,
and for end,
the PNW genetic and others arrives to Amsterdam for legal scene in the 80' so all most European genetics have American genes, critical, sshaze, hashplant g13, etc,

insomniac_AU

True. Although there have already been some good things come from the States genetics wise it make you wonder where we will be on say 10 years’ time. Plus, rope in the fact that legalization seems to be spreading around the world.
I suspect we are going to see huge improvements in not only the type, taste & high of strains offered but also their medical value as well.
Yes exciting times. IMO the internet has had a huge impact on the spread of quality cannabis genetics not only allowing people to access said genetics but also information on how to grow and breed since the 90s. I think there's probably more good genetics being grown all over the world now for this reason. Just look in the international section here. There are groups from just about every country. It makes me happy.

Back to the topic. WHY... are AMERICAN breeders producing the most popular varieties?

It's simple. America is where the industry originated!
The ONLY reason Europe got involved was because they had a better climate for plant breeders to perform their work in. If Sam & friends had decided to move somewhere else, I'm pretty positive that that location would have become the cannabis Mecca instead of Amsterdam.
pretty sure cannabis is older than "America" :dance013:

Koondense

Veteran
I think there's another factor not to be forgotten, the US have the largest army of all countries, thru time soldiers brought a lot of seeds from all over the world, US also has the border with mexico and a deep involvment in middle and south american regions.
It's a kind of model of many ex colonial countries, nederlands one of them, which had the chance to bring in many seeds and consequently work on the selections.
Another thing is communication and media, they have big impact on people and how they behave/think about something, seeds and fancy name clones being one of many hyped things among the US people.
Kushedy saying it's the same in every country. It's not at all true, go travel a bit and see how different are people/countries around the world, you'll be surprised.
There are many reasons why we all know about america's existence and idealize it.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
And breeders can send out thousands of seeds to thousands of rooms and enviroments. And even get their own work back. The internet has sped up breeding in a huge way. The selection process has evolved in a huge way because of networking, mail, cannabinoid and terp testing as well as tools like phylos. I imagine the seed game is going to start evolving at an even faster pace. Everyday I learn something new and amazing and I can only imagine what amazing strains that are being worked on in some of these massive grow.

Trying to find a plant this is vigorous, high yielding, potent and delicious is becoming far less rare. Not to mention resistant to many common issues.

Which brings up gmo cannabis. It will or does exist. So does it deserve to be discussed? Will it be like roundup ready corn? Nothing else can survive around it? Will it crossbeed into old lines? Will pests and disease get harder to fight as coorperate weed tries to take over? Is it already happening?

the European genetics is lack in terp profile,
and the plant structure is the same, bigbud colas,
high thc but not good flavor, only weed flavor generic

the white widow is the only good one balanced,
and for me wwidow is the best European because is original old school,
amnesia very high thc but not terp
and american genetics herm and dont yield for shit, i can smoke 3 complete american marijuanas in 1 joint :dance013:

its just different culture, in europe, if you smoke you smoke, in america if you can smoke you smoke
if i could only have 1 joint a week, yes ill look for the weirdest tastiest thing i can find
if i smoke 5 grams a day i want to notice if im actually getting high at the end of the day

for growing the yield has to be worth the costs since those are shitload higher outside the us they want better yields
and people in europe just wont pay american prices, its too accepted, and profit pull the business

therevverend

Veteran
The USA is a huge country. Vast parts of it are ideal for growing cannabis outdoors. Most of Europe does not have a climate for growing cannabis and until recently the areas that did politically were not conducive to growing.
For a long time Europe has had a hashish smoking culture it's only recently that Europeans have switched to smoking buds. Even in Amsterdam most people would prefer a hashish-tobacco mix to green buds. Besides the Netherlands, Europe has been slow to catch onto the indoor growing scene. It's always been much easier to import hashish from the production parts of Africa and Asia.
The USA is much further from the traditional export hashish cultures. The areas in the New World that exported cannabis to the US were ganja growing cultures instead of hashish producing. Plus the wide open spaces and porous borders (until recently) allowed large shipments of buds to slip through. In Europe hashish is much easier to smuggle across borders.
All the seeded cannabis imported to the US, as opposed to Hashish which does not contain seeds, gave growers in the US a vast amount of superior genetics to work with. Once Thai sticks and Afghan seeds entered the arena in the late 70s it was on.
To me it's strange that people argue over this kind of stuff it seems obvious. Real cannabis breeding didn't start in Europe until the 80s when the US, Canada, and Mexico were decades ahead. And the stuff Europeans were breeding, Skunk, Haze, Northern Lights, Hashplant, Bubblegum, all came from the US.
As far as the argument that strains had been bred for thousands of years before the modern US drug cannabis breeding craze. Those were Landraces adapted to specific regions. There are many excellent cultivars but the US was where these were gathered, hybridized, and adapted to indoor growing and temperate climates. From all the great ganja that was imported in the 60's and 70s. The US had the pick of the entire world to select from. And pick the best and toss what wasn't as good.

kushedy

I think there's another factor not to be forgotten, the US have the largest army of all countries, thru time soldiers brought a lot of seeds from all over the world, US also has the border with mexico and a deep involvment in middle and south american regions.
It's a kind of model of many ex colonial countries, nederlands one of them, which had the chance to bring in many seeds and consequently work on the selections.
Another thing is communication and media, they have big impact on people and how they behave/think about something, seeds and fancy name clones being one of many hyped things among the US people.
Kushedy saying it's the same in every country. It's not at all true, go travel a bit and see how different are people/countries around the world, you'll be surprised.
There are many reasons why we all know about america's existence and idealize it.

I agree with most of what you say Koondense & maybe the sheep situation comment being the same in every country was not as accurate as it could be. It is certainly the same for most western countries though. The media is used in Europe & America in pretty much the same way. To sell things & steer the heard towards supporting the next war or some other horrendous train of thought. It’s also quite effective unfortunately.

Latest posts

Latest posts