What's new

Why do people prefer to grow there own instead of buy?

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why do people prefer to grow there own instead of buy?

For the same reasons we make our own babies...
Half the fun is getting her done!

Then you get to trip on the outcome...

D.U.D.E...

Jonny Lan

HOME GROWN FTW

HOME GROWN FTW

When you grow your own you have control over what goes into your meds. For example in my grow i use only organic feeds and no pesticides because i keep my grow space clean. I also have the option of picking the best genetics that suit me and the needs of my family. I also get to use trim to make bubble hash which at my dispensary can cost me up to 80 bux a gram. I run a 3x3 tent with 600 watt hps and usually have enough trim to make almost a half ounce of full melt bubble. check out my current grow I'm in week 4 (day21) of 12/12.
Peace!:biggrin:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=287208&page=4

Jhhnn

Veteran
For me it was the fun of growing pot and being able to get strains not available at dispensaries or the street. Also I grow organic and pick the flowers right when I feel they are ready. Buying from someone would be a gamble on genetics and treatment of the plant.

If you find you like the pot you buy and do not like to garden and cost is no issue, then there is no reason.

That last part is particularly true in Colorado's legalized market or for participants in similar MMJ markets. For lots of people, price isn't a large consideration, simply because they don't use a lot of it. They like it, enjoy it when they want, which is in small amounts on an occasional to few times a week basis regardless of the state of their stash. That grades into the continuously baked set, for whom price is def a consideration.

For growers in general, making money has traditionally been a consideration, even if it was just a way to toke for free- small scale, friends & family- the greater the risk, the greater the reward, up to & including the whole Norcal scene where that's how whole communities make their livings.

I'm very fortunate to be able to set that aside entirely. I can afford to grow, smoke what I want, give away the rest. When yield is sufficient for those purposes, it's no longer much of a consideration other than as a scientific/intellectual pursuit & a point of pride. The current state of the law here in CO is such that there's a range of activity having basically zero risk which is where I intend to stay. Colorado authorities can't bother me if I do that, and federal authorities won't either. Whatever grey areas exist I avoid like the plague because I don't want to give 'em any excuses, end up as a pawn in a Catch 22 like the Martins in WA.

I'm not an outlaw by design- gave up on that a long time ago. I don't have to carry that baggage to get what I want from growing. Not here. Not now. Nor do a lot of other people.

As a much younger man, I always figured that I had the time to do time if it came to that. I had no children back then, either, and I lived my life accordingly. It nearly killed me. Mostly, I was lucky when I thought I was smart. At 65, I don't have the time for that nor the inclination to tempt fate any more than I already have.

Other people are welcome to look at it differently, of course, although I do object to some of the sour notes expressed about CO legalization. It's not perfect, but neither is my wife, and I'm happy to have both of them.

Croptober

Where I'm at the price for an eighth is around $50 from a delivery of some almost top shelf. I smoke too much to pay $50 for 3.5gs and I use to pick up twice a week so $100 a week x 4 = $400 a month. For me its not worth the $400 a oz, instead I bought a 4x4 tent and 8 bulb t5 for about $200 and get almost 13 ozs off 4 plants.

NotaProfessor

Plus I search all this site and i only see the big dogs here who got the good yields...every newb grow ive checked out on here ....they got like 1-2 ounces...shitty imo lol.

i originally wanted to grow and archive 8 ounces.
I got 8 on my first grow (4 plants in in 4'x4' space). Least I got after that is 20, most was 35.

Anything worth doing takes practice. Nothing I ever did the first time was the best I ever done. Growing is no exception.

HUGE

Veteran
Best quote I have ever heard. Can't remember who said it.

"Smoking pot is not addictive, but growing it is."

I can grow many pounds for the price it would cost to buy a couple ounces.

HUGE

Veteran
Also I can take those pounds and make an ounce or better of hash. I would be bankrupt if I had to buy the amount of hash I smoke.

vostok

Veteran
I grow 200 plants with minimal outlay get 20 pounds of bud, enough seeds to repeat next year, and I know whats in my weed dude!!

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why do people prefer to grow their own instead of buy?

quality & economics

1. QUALITY - I smoke what I grow - so there is plenty aloha in my flowers.

2. ECONOMICS - I make more money selling the pot I grow, than selling the pot Billy, Bob, and Jack grow, bless their hearts.

...for me the economics is a byproduct of quality.

aloha
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I like the feeling of watching something I did turn into something so great, plus it's all free minus the media. No more being ripped off by strangers.

ssq.talker

I think it was something like story about adam and eve. Once there was a pot. Blessedly grows in the deep jungle... Pot was found by 2 man. One of them grab seeds and started takin care of them, second one started to sell it. U can gues the rest what was happend when second man sold his all pot....

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
My first grow kept me supplied for two years...now, I smoke like a locomotive...

..one grow = 4 months supply.

I think they call this: subsistence farming? :chin:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GraySkull does what I do..

The one's I keep for myself

The 1 I sale to billybob who then sales it to everyone else lol

Latest posts

Latest posts