What's new

Why do people prefer to grow there own instead of buy?

bigAl25

Veteran
I do not think I will ever stop growing now. I have only two 400 watt lamps, one MH, one HPS. I grow in organic potting soil, have used fox farm nutes, flush my plants for at least 4 weeks at the end of flower, hand and paper sack dry, cure in mason jars, and I end up with about 12 to 16 ounces per 10 plants. Not great yielders I keep my plants under 4 feet tall and top once on average. My ganja choices each day run from SSSDH by SC, Bubblegum, White Jones, strawberry bubba kush. I no longer pay the Mexican cartel a big fat O for their blood stained product, I only smoke homegrown now. Did I mention I love growing this small plot every year. If we do visit Colorado this year to visit friends, I will bring my stuff with me. I know how it was grown, flushed of chemicals, and cured correctly. All learned at this site. Thanks IC and all you breeders who make these wonderful strains available to the small time closet farmers. OJD and OGraskal in particular, Hell I even enjoy growing out Nirvana beans.

DJXX

Veteran
growing anything is a love you can't describe....though the rewards are awesome, i love growing as much as smoking it...DJXX

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
If in fact GrowBig is a troll, then the joke is on him... this is actually a good thread topic that might help others decide whether they should take the leap. :)

G

growhigh1233

i think you will find it becomes an enjoyable hobbie when you get fully into it !

but i can sort of see your logic if your growing 2 plants at a time , under clf's !!

u need to grow a pair of balls before you grow any plants ! 10 plants under 1 600 hps would make it worth the time and risk , 15 to 20 ounces should keep you merry for a few months

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
in another thread, he was an experienced grower laughing about horizontal grows compared to vertical.

it's all good.

easier to spot that shit.

carry on!

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So,Im lazy....Sue me... y'all already said it with words...

So,Im lazy....Sue me... y'all already said it with words...

If in fact GrowBig is a troll, then the joke is on him... this is actually a good thread topic that might help others decide whether they should take the leap.

growing anything is a love you can't describe....though the rewards are awesome, i love growing as much as smoking it...DJXX

ha ha ha ... even when I started I grew more than 2 plants....after initial purchases its cheaper to grow it... then theres my strict quality control a lot of others don't have....no chems, no harsh pesticides,fully cured.....yeehaw.... I love people that don't grow their own..... they bought me a car once and a lot of other stuff.....

It's a lot of work. If you don't enjoy it you shouldn't do it. There's always the risk of a total wash if you don't pay attention and still a risk if you do. No guarantees in any garden of any kind.

There's a lot to learn and it absolutely isn't for everyone.
If you look at this from a purely monetary perspective and put any kind of value on your time, you'll probably just break even on a small grow.

OTOH, as others have pointed out, it's possible to grow better quality than most people sell. You can control contaminants. You don't have to be concerned about getting tangled up in anyone else's problems. Even if it is illegal where you are, you don't have to have any connection to any other criminal enterprise.

If you are having doubts after just reading about it, seems like it might not be for you.

People grow there own because they love to do it. If you don't love growing your yield and quality will be well below average. You have to be in your grow room everyday making sure your plants are loving life. If you do that you will be handsomely rewarded.

As previously stated, there was a certain irony behind his complaint given his chosen name lol. :^)

D.U.D.E...

.​

Last edited:

Dank Demon

Growing herb is a way of life!
Veteran
Whether you get half ounce per plant or 10 oz per plant its having the satisfaction that you did it yourself and your not smoking some glass sprayed shit or stood in the pissing down rain for hours to be let down with seeded stalky shit. Grow your own every time.

MJBadger

Veteran

Um, well I guess I'm just hesitant to spend $500 on a set up and then take the time out to grow them and end up getting bad yield from inexperience or them not growing correctly..etc.

That would make me very upset :moon:

Then read the threads / forums , there is more info on this site than you`ll ever find in any book or DVD & there is also heck of a lot on plants to .

T

ThcGrower4life

i agree with dank demon there is a load of shite weed kicking about so i am trying too grow my own as i pay £20 for 1.7gm but there is peeps with wet weed at 1.2 for £20 they can fuck off tenner a gram is fair all day long

I think for anyone thinking "Is this an investment I would like to do" one must ask themselves a few questions. First is why would you want to grow weed? Are you trying to save some money in the long run cause you smoke a lot? Is it hard to locate weed? Do you spend a lot of time waiting around to get weed? Are you tired of crappy weed that is grown improperly or possibly sprayed with something you may not like?Are you having problems getting strains that you favor?Do you like concentrates?
Growing does take skill, like anything else but if you like doing it dedicating the time/money isn't that big of a deal because the benefits do far outweigh the negatives. If your lazy and would just rather smoke and play video games and not really put any effort into learning something or maybe your life is to busy maybe you want to rethink spending the cash on a hobby that will take time and money. If your willing to learn there is a lot of people here willing to help you so your not just running in blind you have a lot of existing information and the ability to ask questions and be apart of the community. Growing is not for everyone, but if you really love cannabis and have the time to dedicate give it a shot.

WaterDude

Um, well I guess I'm just hesitant to spend $500 on a set up and then take the time out to grow them and end up getting bad yield from inexperience or them not growing correctly..etc.

That would make me very upset :moon:

Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Sometimes those old sayings are true!!!!

barnyard

I'm a decent cook but certainly nothing extraordinary. Nonetheless my meal of new york strip steak, baked potato, steamed asparagus and salad is better tasting than any expensive steak house in the city.

Nothing beats homemade!

dddaver

Veteran
It is better to not type anything and have someone think you might be stupid than to start a thread like this that removes all doubt.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
It is a very good hobby for me. After sprouting, vegging, and putting the girls outside I get to watch them grow and flower. Sometimes in the middle of grooming the buds I wonder. When I try the finished product and know it is all mine I am happy. Besides MMJ is quite expensive here and my tolerance is high so I am saving money. I never figured out how much but it is a lot.

JointOperation

main reason is because i smoke an oz every 2 days. and 300 a oz for toppppp shelf.. every 2 days.. is a lb a month.. can u afford to buy 3500-4500 worth of dank .. thats not as good as what it costs me to provide myself with top shelf meds.. that i know are grown properly.. i know are cured properly.. i know are trimmed properly and i know arent sprayed with ANYTHING..

when your ok with smoking garbage.. you tend to buy over grow.. honestly.

put it this way.. say you run 4000w ..flower room.. your electric per veg and flower adds to about 500-750.. soil and nutes make say 1000 a harvest.. you pull down at the very least. 4-5 pounds. every 3-4 months.. u pay 1000-1500$ for 4-5 pounds? and wen u dial it in.. up to 8-10 pounds.. for 1500$ not including start up costs because you put money in.. and get money back.. its like any other business.. it costs money to make money.. or it costs money to save money..

if i were to buy 1 pound a month for 3500 .. id pay 10500 every 3 months.. or i can pay 1500.. i think we all know why WE GROW

just an example.. lol. not exact numbers...

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
just harvested another 7 grams. i'm not complaining. gonna chop another one in about a week or so. i expect to pull bout 14+ from that one.

main reason is because i smoke an oz every 2 days. and 300 a oz for toppppp shelf.. every 2 days.. is a lb a month.. can u afford to buy 3500-4500 worth of dank .. thats not as good as what it costs me to provide myself with top shelf meds.. that i know are grown properly.. i know are cured properly.. i know are trimmed properly and i know arent sprayed with ANYTHING..

when your ok with smoking garbage.. you tend to buy over grow.. honestly.

put it this way.. say you run 4000w ..flower room.. your electric per veg and flower adds to about 500-750.. soil and nutes make say 1000 a harvest.. you pull down at the very least. 4-5 pounds. every 3-4 months.. u pay 1000-1500$ for 4-5 pounds? and wen u dial it in.. up to 8-10 pounds.. for 1500$ not including start up costs because you put money in.. and get money back.. its like any other business.. it costs money to make money.. or it costs money to save money..

if i were to buy 1 pound a month for 3500 .. id pay 10500 every 3 months.. or i can pay 1500.. i think we all know why WE GROW

just an example.. lol. not exact numbers...

1 ounce every 2 days lol? damn

JointOperation

well its 2 people.. me and my girl.. we smoke anywere from a half oz to an oz. every DAY.. ya so if i was to BUY IT.. id pay 5 x mmore.. for crap quality.. that wasnt grown to maturity.. was prolly over ferted. and under flushed.. under trimmed and under cured.. and just all around UNDER PAR BUD for crazy prices.. nowadays.. you wana smoke proper bud.. and not rely on some asshole making money off you to just grab the cheapest and sell it for the same prices as topshelf?

lots of grimey fucks out there trying to make a quick buck.. grabbing pounds for 1500 and selling them for 3000.. wen in reality.. if my boys came to me with that garbage.. saying i could make mad profit.. id laugh in there face.. ya thats what i want.. some bud that was proly grown by some mexican eating top ramen and wiping his ass with out washing before trimming.. i mean really shitty situation for alot of people.. thats why i grow.. and thats y my friends like my bud.. they dont want garbage