What's new

Why do people prefer to grow there own instead of buy?

Jhhnn

Veteran
I think it's important for people to have been successful with houseplants or gardening before attempting to grow cannabis indoors under lights. Some people's lifestyles won't really support it- people who travel a lot, for example, or whose living situation isn't stable. Legal consequences of being busted for growing vs mere possession in most places are also much more severe. I personally wouldn't do it today if it weren't for A64, nor do I advocate anybody sticking their neck out. That's just me. I certainly respect those who do under more difficult circumstances. Well, if they're not stupid or greedy about it.

It suits my old homeboy lifestyle. I also have income sufficient to support hobbies, if not hotrods & Harleys.

People who don't have a true utility area to work with have bigger issues wrt cooling, light control & odor control. It's not easy to deal w/ the heat from 1000w w/o additional A/C, which adds enormously to operating expense. That's a big part of the reason that 1000w equip is cheaply available on Craigslist. It's too much for a lot of people's situations & their wiring, hard to maintain stealth, as well.

Beyond having more than I care to consume, even my worst is better weed than most in all sorts of ways, more convenient than black market, much cheaper than retail in the long run. It's also an interesting technical challenge & quite pleasurable when going well. I like gardening, anyway.

I give away a fair % of it, because I can quite legally & because if we set out to consume all we produce we'd both be baked useless all the time.

Starting out, one of the things I got right was... autoflowers. Light control isn't an issue when it just stays on or only goes off for a few hours when nobody's awake anyway, and they won't get too big & rangey, either. They're quite hardy & deliver a stash much more quickly than photo strains. Just treat 'em like hungry houseplants. Even if a person moves on from them after the first crop, they're a good first crop, particularly in smaller grows & with limited head space.

Having learned a great deal over the last 18 months, a lot more than I knew growing 30 years ago, I'd go with the Philips 315 CMH hardware starting up. With some patience & persistence, it's not terribly expensive using Ebay, solves a lot of power & heat control issues. The open rated lamps are quite safe, too. Add more lights if you want to grow more. I also see it as fundamentally stealthier than HPS- everybody & their dog knows what that bright orange glow is all about, even if it just seeps out around the window banger sometimes. Rippers are always a problem, even here in CO. Hell, I noticed it quite casually a few blocks from home, just going for an evening walk. Click- mental note- fellow grower. For anybody seeking one, they're also a target. Poor odor control leads to the same conclusions.

Lots of pro's & con's, everybody gets to figure it out for themselves.

BlazinPurps

There is nothing more satisfying IMO then growing your own weed, watching the plant grow and progress everyday is a privilege I value very much. I grow all personals I have never made a dime off this plant but I have saved a great deal of $ over the years not having to buy it and I get to smoke exactly what I want. You either have a passion to grow and will put in the work, time and research or you wont and your grow will reflect that.

SneakySneaky

Veteran
lol....99% newbies on here like myself cant get anywere near u guys who get ounces upon ounces per plant :peacock:

we all started as newbies just like you. follow the hundreds of pages of advice here and learn all you can about every aspect of growing, like lighting, ventilation, nutrient requirements and formulations. the more you know the more you can discern a problem so it becomes a minor bump in the road instead of a catastrophic failure. once you go down the rabbit hole theres no turning back tho.

so in my best morpheous impression, do you take the grow big pill or the go home pill?

I have a few reasons why.....

Because.

waking up in the morning and tending to sentient objects who react to subtle touches, my voice, the type of water I use, how I caress and tickle each leaf, reminds me that nature reigns supreme, even in urban jungles were the landscapes are pixilated and grey.

Because.

enjoying an herb that I know its history, from birth to consumption, is a privilege.

Because.

not calling shady ass delivery services or people is an incredible release.

Because.

a dealer can never give me the type of quality that I can provide myself.

Because.

I know there was no violence involved in getting it to me. Remember, some people grow on state park land, fuck that noise, I'm not trying to contribute.

Because.

Its my fucking right to.

I'm sure I can come up with more, but those are just off the top of my head. I know the OP may be just trolling, but I'm using this opportunity as a personal affirmation, to remind myself to be proud of who I am and what I consume.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Holy cow...it isn't rocket science....

Plenty of decent liquid organic bottled nutes on the market....

Bail of sunshine mix...some pots and a few other goodies..

If your not hitting 1lb per light something is wrong....

Crop once....make your investment back and then a bit.....crop twice....don't grow again for a while if it is just for "personal consumption"....

Start with some quality beans....keep your temps in the right range and KISS is the key to success..

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
For me it was the fun of growing pot and being able to get strains not available at dispensaries or the street. Also I grow organic and pick the flowers right when I feel they are ready. Buying from someone would be a gamble on genetics and treatment of the plant.

If you find you like the pot you buy and do not like to garden and cost is no issue, then there is no reason.

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
now that I think about it heres some other reasons for me:

-I have the patience

-I don't give up so easy

-im not lazy about growing

-as a hobby it stimulates me mentally and spiritually

-after much discussion with ppl close to me I realize that have a true and honest passion for it

-god gave us all the seed bearing plants and herbs to use

GoldMouf

I dont understand...you grow 2 plants and spend lots of money and a few months growing it and you get what 2 ounces a plant maybe?

Why not just save the time and hassle and buy 4 ounces of dank?

Dude your an Fucking idiot. 2 plants 2 oz. Are you kidding me? Fuck it it's not even worth commenting on this dummy. You must be too dumb to learn the grow game!!!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some are just slow.. Anyone that thinks they can only get a few oz from a few plants has no clue how to grow... When I read posts like this it usually from someone that's young so keep that in mind with your responses. For us old guys its 2nd nature growing plants.

Getting large yields can be strain dependent. Even experienced guys need to a few runs to get some strains dialed in. If you start out with a large yielding strain you will have plenty..Don't expect to get the same results as an experienced grower..Anyway im medicated and cant think I'm spacing on the TV LMAO..

Jhhnn

Veteran
It doesn't take a great grower to get good results. Our most recent harvest was a full pound of trimmed & dried bud from our 6 plant quota, the best yet. I'm still figuring this out, & I had some problems this time around. At $60/mo to run the equip, that bill was under $300. I change the filter & the bulb every year, so add $100, max. Soil & nutes, another $50. That's $450/lb. Using Craigslist & some ingenuity, I might have $1K in the setup. After 4 harvests, the average price per pound is $700, descending thereafter towards the $450 figure or lower if I can be a better grower.

I'm just trying different varieties, but it's all been top shelf to varying degrees. I don't have the connections to buy pounds, nor do I want them. I don't even know the going rate. Top shelf bud runs $250/oz around here, maybe more, $4k per pound total to a guy like me.

I like the DIY price a lot better. We never run out. I like the fact that I don't have to fuck around to get it, don't have to play the med card game, don't have to show ID at the potshop, don't have to wonder what's in it, either. It tastes a helluva lot better than commercial weed because it's organically grown & decently cured, too.

AFAIC, CO retail is for tourists.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it does take experience to get quality cannabis anyone can grow a weed weather you get 2oz or 2lb's. Many can grow big bud or similar strain and get 2lbs..

I get 14oz from 1 plant in a 5g pot of quality cannabis. No new grower will achieve these results with a quality strain

Latest posts

Latest posts