What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why CO. is better than anywhere else for legal cannabis!

monsoon

http://ballotpedia.org/Colorado_Constitution

The above page outlines the 3 ways our State Constitution can be changed/added to.

All 3 require an eventual vote of the People.

Also note what is said about our constitution's history. Many things have been added over the years, but Co is a rare state in that we have the same Constitution in play that we've had since it was enacted in 1876.

Last but not least, keep in mind that we now have 2 Amendments that offer individual grow rights here. IMO, it would require a change, simultaneously, of BOTH amendments for such a denial of rights to have the desired effect/Chicken Little scenario you are trying to put into play here.

I dunno about the folks you know, shaggy, but I know nobody in my circle of family or friends will ever vote for corporate rights over individual rights.

and thus, we grow.

shaggyballs

Veteran
http://ballotpedia.org/Colorado_Constitution

The above page outlines the 3 ways our State Constitution can be changed/added to.

All 3 require an eventual vote of the People.

Also note what is said about our constitution's history. Many things have been added over the years, but Co is a rare state in that we have the same Constitution in play that we've had since it was enacted in 1876.

Last but not least, keep in mind that we now have 2 Amendments that offer individual grow rights here. IMO, it would require a change, simultaneously, of BOTH amendments for such a denial of rights to have the desired effect/Chicken Little scenario you are trying to put into play here.

I dunno about the folks you know, shaggy, but I know nobody in my circle of family or friends will ever vote for corporate rights over individual rights.

and thus, we grow.

I can appreciate all you have said.
As it is very interesting and insightful.

But the feds trump card clears the table..... always.
I just can not see how this insulates you from federal law crushing your Amendments.

I am pullin' for CO. on this one big time.
It is currently the foundation for what could be something great!!!

The foundation is being eroded everywhere else!

But I am afraid once all others have sold out, CO. will then fall too.

Maybe last......but big $$$$$ will have it's way, of this you can be sure.

I will try not to clutter this thread with my negativity, after all this thread is about The good things in CO.
I do see good, I want it to last!....just pessimistic!

Thanks for the link
shag

Jhhnn

Veteran
It's functionally impossible for the feds to enforce federal law against small growers in CO w/o local help. It's probably functionally impossible to get a conviction for a federal rap against a state legal grower in CO, as well. Jury nullification looms large in such an attempt. The local US Attorney, Walsh, is basically too smart to even go there.

He just follows the guidelines he's been issued from above-

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2013/August/13-opa-974.html

http://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resources/3052013829132756857467.pdf

There's really no going back from here, certainly not prior to 2017 at which point legalization will have shown itself to be superior public policy in every way. Our success dooms prohibition.

monsoon

If the Feds were going to crush our laws they would have done so BEFORE the train left the station. As it is now, the train is running full speed. (and then some)

in all reality, the Feds don't care about our home grows. As jhnnn pointed out, they self-admittedly stated that there is no way in Hell they can police our home grows.

The real threat to home growing comes from the States. This is all viewed as a cash cow for them and if anyone is gonna try to nix personal rights it will be the States themselves, not the Fed.

Shit..who knows? Maybe the States will screw it all up with differing regulations and parameters that make it nearly impossible for the Feds to track or control that @ some point the Fed simply legalizes home grows and small possession limits and makes any and all sales be Federal offenses. If they did such a thing I think the price of weed would plummet on the open market to "produce" levels/to a point where, like tomatoes, you'd have to work very hard to make any >real< cash growing it for resale.

I think the retail side is far more in jeopardy of disruption from the powers-that-be than the personal side...but a lot of that thought process admittedly hinges on the fact that I have, and will grow this plant if I choose to do so, whether it be "legal" or not.

monsoon

Props for posting this, jhnnn. When we were inundated by budtang's ongoing stupidity/close-mindedness about the fact that CO had already tried the "home sales" model and that such experience was directly driving the decision to not take the same path via A64/any other future legislation here I kept thinking "where is that verbiage that spells out so clearly how the State feels about residential grows/home sales/etc??

And then I read what you offered and there it is

"Legitimate, taxpaying business people, and not criminal actors will conduct sales of marijuana"

LOL.

Jhhnn

Veteran
If the Feds were going to crush our laws they would have done so BEFORE the train left the station. As it is now, the train is running full speed. (and then some)

in all reality, the Feds don't care about our home grows. As jhnnn pointed out, they self-admittedly stated that there is no way in Hell they can police our home grows.

The real threat to home growing comes from the States. This is all viewed as a cash cow for them and if anyone is gonna try to nix personal rights it will be the States themselves, not the Fed.

Shit..who knows? Maybe the States will screw it all up with differing regulations and parameters that make it nearly impossible for the Feds to track or control that @ some point the Fed simply legalizes home grows and small possession limits and makes any and all sales be Federal offenses. If they did such a thing I think the price of weed would plummet on the open market to "produce" levels/to a point where, like tomatoes, you'd have to work very hard to make any >real< cash growing it for resale.

I think the retail side is far more in jeopardy of disruption from the powers-that-be than the personal side...but a lot of that thought process admittedly hinges on the fact that I have, and will grow this plant if I choose to do so, whether it be "legal" or not.

I think it comes down to an issue of integrity for state law makers where legalization cannot proceed from a citizens' initiative. The simple fact that we're doing it swimmingly well in CO while WA founders isn't going un-noticed. As this unfolds, the voters will put a great deal of pressure on their Reps to do it the way we have, simply because they'll know it works. Having & utilizing the expertise of an existing MMJ system obviously makes that easier.

What it all leads to is repeal of existing federal marijuana law & adoption of rules similar to alcohol. National prohibition has been fatally damaged by CO legalization. It's like a sheet of tempered glass cracked into a thousand little cubes that's still standing up.

shaggyballs

Veteran
@ Jhhnn
I am here on a friendly visit.
You never told me gun rights were taken away to get cannabis in CO. same as MI.
I was nagging about this, you never let on?
But
Truly I say CO. is the best to be seen so far, It still has me scared!

This on the other hand gives me hope!
I just hope your ass is out there grinding on this issue.(I think you would do a good job)
It is an important step in a good form of legalization!
Best of luck on this issue!
Folks this may be another reason Why CO. is better than anywhere else for legal cannabis!
We will see, I am pullin' for ya!

Think of me when they are telling you no...That should fire you up.....LOL

Sincerely
Shag

Proposal Seeks Gun Permits For Colorado Pot Users

Denver - AP — Colorado was the first state to legalize recreational marijuana sales. Now the state's voters may consider a ballot measure to allow pot smokers to carry a concealed firearm.

The "Colorado Campaign for Equal Gun Rights" is working to put a question on the November 2016 ballot to have Colorado ignore guidelines from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives about firearms and pot.

The measure would change state law to prevent sheriffs from denying concealed carry permits because of marijuana use. It's a new frontier in the marijuana wars, and one that has divided gun-rights activists.

"It's just ridiculous," said Edgar Antillon, one of the campaign organizers, who argues that firearms aren't kept from alcohol drinkers. "Somebody can get extremely drunk — Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and all week if they want — and they can still get a concealed carry permit."

He said he and his campaign partner, Isaac Chase, who run a firearm training business called "Guns For Everyone," are reaching out to gun rights groups for support, including those involved in last year's recall of two state senators who supported stricter firearm laws. Colorado organizers need more than 86,100 signatures to send the question to voters, and it's unclear whether Antillon's campaign will get enough support to launch.

The campaign would put Colorado again in direct conflict with federal guidelines about the drug.

In 2011, the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives sent states a directive to keep guns away from marijuana users.

Earlier this year, Democratic Sen. John Walsh of Montana tried to change that, suggesting an amendment to bar federal prosecution of medical marijuana patients who own firearms. The amendment failed.

The matter divides gun enthusiasts. The president of the Colorado State Shooting Association said his members would oppose letting pot users carry guns.

"Federal law prohibits the possession and use of marijuana and its derivatives, and therefore its possession and use is incompatible with legal, responsible firearms ownership," said Tony Fabian, president of the Colorado State Shooting Association.

The County Sheriffs of Colorado are lining up against the idea, too.

But it's an open debate whether marijuana-using gun owners are more dangerous than others — or even how many people lose gun rights over pot.

Colorado keeps no data on the question. And the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, which runs background checks for applicants and gun buyers, doesn't track how many are denied concealed carry permits because of pot. Neither does the County Sheriffs of Colorado.

People are asked, under oath, 14 questions on Colorado's concealed carry application, including whether the person has a restraining order, has been convicted of a felony, or has been treated for alcoholism within the past 10 years.

They're also asked if they're "an unlawful user of" marijuana "or any other controlled substance." The application is processed by county sheriffs.

The conflict has surfaced in other states that allow medical or recreational marijuana use, including Washington and Oregon.

In Washington state, forms for concealed weapons permits also ask if someone is an "unlawful user" of marijuana, without differentiating between state or federal law.

In 2012, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal from an Oregon sheriff who had been prohibited from denying a concealed handgun license to a medical marijuana user. The decision meant the woman and other medical marijuana cardholders could obtain concealed handgun licenses.

Antillon, whose company provides the firearm training required for concealed carry applicants, said several students have told him they've been denied a permit because they use marijuana, either medically or recreationally. He said it's unjust that marijuana users are being "punished and can't defend their lives."

He argues that marijuana users can also be responsible firearm owners.

"It's going to be that initial battle of educating people. The challenge is people thinking that we're allowing people who are high to possess handguns," he said.

Attachments

• guns.jpeg
    guns.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 12

armedoldhippy

Veteran
state concealed carry questions SHOULD (theoretically) only pertain to STATE law. if you are using legally as to state law, I would answer "no, I am not an unlawful user..." I have never heard of a federal concealed carry permit, except in reference to federal LEO who, obviously, don't NEED a permit from the various states they pass through/work in.

I made this thread for those who want to talk about the great things going on in CO. right now!

Let's here from everyone that wants to share the good news.
Hey buddy, I just made a thread about why OR legal Cannabis industries are best, so take that! :) (Totally joking around, I had no idea you wrote this thread, just noticed it now.)

But seriously, you may want to check out my thread about why I think OR is better than WA and CO; granted CO is better than WA:

"Oregon/Washington/Colorado Comparison (why OR is best)"
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=299134

Here's a neat comparison by OR State, this is the basis for my above thread. I've been posting a few threads on recreational and medicals laws in the Oregon state forum here at this site:
https://www.oregon.gov/olcc/marijuana/Documents/Measure%2091_sidebysidecomparison.pdf

Last edited:
isnt co. like half morman or latter day saints?thats a hell of place to have pot legal in that shit shoulda happened in cali or vermont or a state that has smaller religous community.do mormans smoke buds?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
"isnt co. like half morman or latter day saints"? Hey genedigger. Are you thinking of Utah maybe? There are a lot of Mormons in the Western part of Wyoming also. CO is pretty secular with fracking and making money the main religion out here.

oh ok i got my states wrong your right.it is close to there and i bet the ones that live in colorado voted against it.they dont even drink coffee,so theres no way there down with the herb

MidwestKush

Man is the weed at the dispensary not what I was expecting. Been moved out here for over a month and haven't been able to find anything in terms of quality like I was expecting. Both at the dispensaries and from people off of Craigslist. :dunno:

Man is the weed at the dispensary not what I was expecting. Been moved out here for over a month and haven't been able to find anything in terms of quality like I was expecting. Both at the dispensaries and from people off of Craigslist. :dunno:
Sadly that's par for the course for most place to buy in CO. The quality at shops, to me, has been low for a long time. That's the main thing people complain about in terms of CO Cannabis: low quality abounds. Though, to be fair, the same can be said about WA's recreational shops (generally poor quality), and much of the medical market, as well.

MidwestKush

Sadly that's par for the course for most place to buy in CO. The quality at shops, to me, has been low for a long time. That's the main thing people complain about in terms of CO Cannabis: low quality abounds. Though, to be fair, the same can be said about WA's recreational shops (generally poor quality), and much of the medical market, as well.

I'm in the Denver area, I just find it odd that both black market and recreational has been honestly not at all what I was expecting, I tried to post pics from my phone but it didn't work. I was honestly getting better quality weed back in MN. 13 for a HP that I picked up isn't terribly cheaper considering the state and lack of quality. I feel like Colorado is somewhat isolated from the west coast so there may be a strain on quality and prices here.

Allendawg

So we don't put our country's precious farmland in the hands of people who have little experience meeting high quality standards. So we can watch a bunch of people make a lot of $$$, spend it all, then loose it all! So we can watch liberal politicians "rat fuck" it's citizens. So we can watch Americans travel from all over world to smoke, eat, & drink chemically infested, feces infested, vagina bacteria infested, bug infested, & mold infested weed!

Vagina bacteria infested??? I can see the MED boards memo now.... Female growers and bud tenders please refrain from masturbation while handling all cannabis products.
On another note, if you are unhappy with the quality of the cannabis at you preferred dispensary, start growing your own. There is good quality buds here in Colorado, you just have to visit many different dispensaries to find what you are looking for. GB80