What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why CO. is better than anywhere else for legal cannabis!

Jhhnn

Veteran
Sadly that's par for the course for most place to buy in CO. The quality at shops, to me, has been low for a long time. That's the main thing people complain about in terms of CO Cannabis: low quality abounds. Though, to be fair, the same can be said about WA's recreational shops (generally poor quality), and much of the medical market, as well.

Meh. "Low quality" isn't really accurate. "Low" as compared to what?

I contend that the average potency of commercial weed is much higher than 40-45 years ago or at any time in the past, even if the very best is only marginally stronger than it was way back when.

The whole notion of quality needs to account for other factors, as well- aroma, flavor, smoothness of the smoke, even the often under appreciated qualities of the high itself. Some of the best I've ever smoked wasn't the most potent, but rather had superb smoking qualities & an expansive ebullient effect. Wings for the mind. Emotional helium.

A fair % of modern cannabis doesn't seem to have that but is rather more soporific, not really mind expanding in a way that this old hippie really appreciates. I think maybe that's because it's been bred for analgesic medical purposes rather than recreational.

My perspective is unusual, having only come back to cannabis for a couple of years after 25 years of abstention. Lots of younger tokers don't know how good they have it, to be honest.

MidwestKush

I contend that the average potency of commercial weed is much higher than 40-45 years ago or at any time in the past, even if the very best is only marginally stronger than it was way back when.

The whole notion of quality needs to account for other factors, as well- aroma, flavor, smoothness of the smoke, even the often under appreciated qualities of the high itself. Some of the best I've ever smoked wasn't the most potent, but rather had superb smoking qualities & an expansive ebullient effect. Wings for the mind. Emotional helium.

A fair % of modern cannabis doesn't seem to have that but is rather more soporific, not really mind expanding in a way that this old hippie really appreciates. I think maybe that's because it's been bred for analgesic medical purposes rather than recreational.

My perspective is unusual, having only come back to cannabis for a couple of years after 25 years of abstention. Lots of younger tokers don't know how good they have it, to be honest.

I definitely agree with you that potency isn't always the.most.important quality of an herb. I personally am.in the same boat and would.prefer some real.good sativa over these indica hybrids which seems to be all I can find out here. Frustrating

When I write about quality I mean all things encompassing the end product, including its smell, taste, etc.; this doesn't include potency.

"Low" quality as compared to the "best" I've seen and grown. I know these are subjective, but I also know I've seen prime examples (and grown them) of "best." Low in this context means poorly grown plants, poorly trimmed product, and poor chemical aspects (not including potency).

To be fair there is low quality all over the US and Canada, and I've been to most medical states and both functioning recreational states, and they hall have a good amount of low quality product, but CO just seems to have more as a % of all the product I've seen.

cali has better weed on the whole..so co aint the best...ha ha biotches
I tottaly agree.

It's funny, in WA State they like to brag about how 'dank' their 'weed' is, and how it's so much better than Cali...um...no, it's not, not on a whole, it's not even close. Sure, you can find great product in WA (and CO), A+ quality, but that's not the rule, it's the exception.

I think Midwestkush may be onto something about the genetics available to growers.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

Veteran
When I write about quality I mean all things encompassing the end product, including its smell, taste, etc.; this doesn't include potency.

"Low" quality as compared to the "best" I've seen and grown. I know these are subjective, but I also know I've seen prime examples (and grown them) of "best." Low in this context means poorly grown plants, poorly trimmed product, and poor chemical aspects (not including potency).

To be fair there is low quality all over the US and Canada, and I've been to most medical states and both functioning recreational states, and they hall have a good amount of low quality product, but CO just seems to have more as a % of all the product I've seen.

Meh. I think it's like supermarket veggies. I don't expect to get the best, but it's all quite good.

TBH, CO isn't a big enough market for high end niche cannabis to be a viable business model, certainly not w/o brand name recognition. The other side of it is that licensed growers don't have the same marketing opportunities as, say, CA growers who have long exported lesser results to weed hungry parts of the country. The best of it never leaves the State except in small quantities destined for a wealthy clientele. The further one gets into the hinterlands & the poorer the area then the lower the quality available. That hasn't changed in 40 years.

Well, until legalization. I'm pretty sure that quality has gone up in small town CO, not down.