What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why aren´t more of you growing ROLS

Ickis

Veteran
I know what the thread was about. My posts are about this post in the thread. You created the sidebar. I just countered this post.

And you produce this fast growing chemical mess for your patients you care so much about??????

Or for the quick buck?

And if you think that organic soil has a slow growth rate then you were not using the correct methods.

V

Ickis

Veteran
The original thread starting post had a pot snob ring to it. ROLS is the best. It isn't. So if we all need to grow the best then you need to move your grow outside. OH yes I am gonna start this now. I am an outdoor snob. The potency is better strain for strain. The yields are bigger.

I am primarily an outdoor grower. I plant in the ground in natural soils and use natural sunlight. Many people always argued that indoor weed is better. Like the dispensaries scam. Outdoor has dust. Outdoor has bugs. So does your store bought food. Some of those people are indoor organic people like you. Ironic isn't it? Sunlight is better than artificial light and natural river valley soil is as good as it gets. So IMHO outdoor weed has always kicked indoor weeds ass and still does. It is just harder and scarier to pull off in non med states.

See how complicated the idea of organic becomes. How can something organic depend on ARTIFICIAL light?

C

CT Guy

You don't understand what I mean by.... But you can't do the volume and you don't make as much because you have to charge more.

The organic farmer can not produce the same volume of vegetables as the chemical farmer. It also takes more labor. If everyone went organic we wouldn't be able to feed all the people in the US. The free range chicken farmer can not do the same volume as the hideous chicken factories. It is said but true. So the organic farmer has to charge more for each vegetable and each chicken.

CT Guy I only mentioned NPK for ease of typing info. You are correct. However no matter what a plant needs (and it is more than NPK) it does not matter where it came from. They absorb it from whatever has it and is useable to the plant. And you won't have any links to counter that science.

Not true. A conventional ag soil with not outperform an organic soil OVER TIME. As nutrients get used up and soil fertility degrades and soil structure weakens with erosion due to a lack of microbial life, then conventional agriculture yields go way down. That's one of the reasons we have the problems that we do. Not to mention the algal blooms and dead zones we are creating from too much phosphorus. Phosphorus is a great example by the way of how organics is superior. Phosphorus applied in an ionic form does not stay in the soil and leaches quickly.

So as an outdoor grower using synthetic chemicals and pesticides on your plants, you're polluting the environment. In addition, you're destroying the soil and also it's ability to protect the plant (high salts kill microbes). Needless to say, it may not be as much of an issue for you if you can switch locations every few years, but growing mono-crops using conventional methods is NOT a long-term solution and will not produce larger yields over time when compared to properly managed organic soil.

What you bring up with the chicken farmer is a question of ethics, not organics vs conventional. I could cram as many "organic" chickens in a room as I could "conventional" ones. Regardless, my point is that yes you can use products like Eagle 20 and it will make growing easier. Applying a systemic fungicide like that allows you to not ever have to worry about powdery mildew for the life of the plant. However, it also produces a product that contains known carcinogens. This is a stupid argument. If you're unwilling to care enough about the people you're growing for or yourself not to make these sort of no-brainer decisions, then go find another forum to waste people's time in.

No one here cares to hear your ideas on growing. This is an "organic" forum.

C

CT Guy

And getting back to your original question Von, I think that the issue may multifaceted.

1. People may not know or understand how to buy or create an re-useable soil mix, or may have issues sourcing ingredients or making substitutions.
2. There are a lot of myths in the hydro industry about what you need to grow a "dank" plant. The marketing is overwhelming.
3. There's no money in it for hydro shops to carry soils like that or base ingredients like alfalfa meal, kelp meal, fish meal, etc....
4. People want to feel like they're doing something when they're growing. You can't keep people from wanting to water with nutrients or mess with their plants somehow to try and squeeze a larger yield or plant response.

C

CT Guy

I will say that I don't really like the term either. I would say that I use a water-only soil and that it will get better each cycle if properly amended. Not sure why the term rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I don't want to feel like I'm "copying" something someone else coined into a phrase? Haven't thought that one out yet...

V

vonforne

I will say that I don't really like the term either. I would say that I use a water-only soil and that it will get better each cycle if properly amended. Not sure why the term rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I don't want to feel like I'm "copying" something someone else coined into a phrase? Haven't thought that one out yet...

I am not really fond of the term either but it does give a separation from using bagged and bottle ´convenience´ which our current society revolves around. An economy driver. I actually seen a post in here that said he helps the economy by buying his soil each time. He also helps some municipal waste department recycle slug also. lol It is just an add on from what Rev started in 2006 with his book ´The living soil´ I look at Revs book as a bridge from the myth based growing techniques of Jorge to where we are now........it is just progress as we move into the future. So if we are to reach the younger growers we must use a little from our past and combine it with a little of the future to build that bridge.

We call it Natural growing or what ever but in our current society everything has an abbreviation attached to it. lol There has to be a certain adaptability on our part also. So, using a coined term may or may not be that key. I don´t know. I just wish more growers would see the proverbial light and drop the ´convenience´ of the hydro store myths of growing.

Everyone speaks of more yeild.......my only concern has been quality, cleanliness as far a bud goes.

And getting back to your original question Von, I think that the issue may multifaceted.

1. People may not know or understand how to buy or create an re-useable soil mix, or may have issues sourcing ingredients or making substitutions.
2. There are a lot of myths in the hydro industry about what you need to grow a "dank" plant. The marketing is overwhelming.
3. There's no money in it for hydro shops to carry soils like that or base ingredients like alfalfa meal, kelp meal, fish meal, etc....

1. We are working on that. It takes time and an eye for it......not just hitting the closest parking spot at Wally World and running thru the door and the check out in 5 minutes. Or 5 minutes in the hydro store but some research and some leg work. Gawd forbid someone might get some exercise out of it all.

2. Again, these guys pray on the convenience that has been developed in our society.

3. We don´t need the ´hydro´ stores we have regular garden center, feed store and farm stores. Hydro stores are like a concession stand for Miracle grow for me[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. People want to feel like they're doing something when they're growing. You can't keep people from wanting to water with nutrients or mess with their plants somehow to try and squeeze a larger yield or plant response. [/FONT]

V

vonforne

See how complicated the idea of organic becomes.

this statement sums up my post for me..............

complicated...........

a little leg work and some thought on the growers part is complicated.......lol

Nope not one of them ha ha Spicy Sativa, just an observation the last couple years meeting other growers at events and meetings. I got dirt in my bones grew up on the farm and want to get back to it full time and stop working for the man mang!

I grew a run in raised beds best tasting stuff I ever grew so far, I might try it again I'm in 10 to 15 gallon pots for the most part now for flower need bigger pot or build a bed again.

Unadulterated weed, organic, clean green etc. Is growing organically more lifestyle oriented versus buying a bottle or flipping a switch not dumping on nutes but it is what it is convenience.

Greenlace wings worked awesome on aphids I had outside on some regular flowers, I bought them for two spotted mites and expiremented with the aphid outdoors Aphid Lions are straight up killers.

Ickis

Veteran
this statement sums up my post for me..............

complicated...........

a little leg work and some thought on the growers part is complicated.......lol

SIGH!!! Why do you want to twist or misinterpret statements? It isn't complicated to do. It is complicated to define what is actually organic.

It would be a great term paper project in a horticulture class. Students please write an essay on the following statement. How can something be organic when grown under artificial light.

CT Guy I didn't come directly to the organic forum. I simply clicked NEW POSTS and there was Vonforne's question and I joined in. However, I will now bow out since Von and you didn't really want opposing answers. Evidently this thread was just probing the internet for conformation of ROLS.

Also CT GUY where did I say I used pesticides? I do however use some pyrethrins that are made from chrysanthemum plants.

Sorry for the interruption.

Ickis

Veteran
You also need to rethink the natural predators theory. They are only natural in the areas where they are supposed to be found. They are not to be bought, transfered from state to state or country to country. There could be disastrous results down the line for naturally occurring life forms in the new area. Just like what happened with starlings, asian carp, snakehead fish, rats on islands or kudzu weed.

LMFAO!!!!!!! NO WAY IN HELL THATS A 14oz plant. Maybe if you kept all the leaves and stems. Im so much cooler online!

bobblehead

Veteran
CT Guy I only mentioned NPK for ease of typing info. You are correct. However no matter what a plant needs (and it is more than NPK) it does not matter where it came from. They absorb it from whatever has it and is useable to the plant. And you won't have any links to counter that science.

You are misinformed and you should try reading the literature before making blanket statements about NPK. NO3 and NA4 are both molecules of N. Synthetic ferts contain 80% nitrate nitrogen and 20% ammonia nitrogen. In organics, this ratio is reversed.

Why is this important? Because nitrates inhibit root growth and increase foliage growth. What's the saying... "Grow the roots"

NPK isn't NPK. It just takes some scientific understanding. A refractometer is useful in showing the higher sugar content of organic produce vs. synthetic. More sugar= more nutrients.

O

OrganicOzarks

The irony is that a lot of people on here are talking shit about the people that left, and now the vacuum has been filled to the brim. :)

P.S.

Organic production is the only long term viable way to feed the planet. Period. There is no question of this.

Super weeds, super bugs, depleted soils with little to no return, If you read up on "chemical factory farming" you will see that all of those "fixes" are failing.

Why do you think they just upped the amount of glyphosate in food?

"the EPA is increasing limits on allowable glyphosate in food crops from 200 ppm to 6,000 ppm."

If factory farming is working so well then this would have never happened.

Again growing organic is the only longer term sustainable way to feed the planet.

Get back at me in 20 years, and let's see where the glyphosate levels are at. Can I get 1,000,000 PPM please?:)

Ickis

Veteran
LMFAO!!!!!!! NO WAY IN HELL THATS A 14oz plant. Maybe if you kept all the leaves and stems. Im so much cooler online!

LOL!! It was actually 14.5 but I only took credit for 13 ounces of real buds not the 1.5 of popcorn. I documented the entire grow on Planet Ganja and semi documented on ICMag. I was trying to beat Heath Robinson's 1.75 grams per watt but only made it to 1.65.

Now look at the pictures, be amazed and eat your words.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=2240004#post2240004

Post #721 and #722

ROFLMAO!!!!

If you all have NetFlix, do yourself a favor and watch the documentary called "Dirt". It won't teach you anything about growing ganja, but it'll shine some light on why many of us have chosen a more natural approach. (whatever term you want to use for it).

Ickis

Veteran
You are misinformed and you should try reading the literature before making blanket statements about NPK. NO3 and NA4 are both molecules of N. Synthetic ferts contain 80% nitrate nitrogen and 20% ammonia nitrogen. In organics, this ratio is reversed.

Why is this important? Because nitrates inhibit root growth and increase foliage growth. What's the saying... "Grow the roots"

NPK isn't NPK. It just takes some scientific understanding. A refractometer is useful in showing the higher sugar content of organic produce vs. synthetic. More sugar= more nutrients.

Plants don't absorb the ammonia or the nitrate they only want the nitrogen. It does not matter to them. Do you understand? You are misinformed. We don't smoke roots. You might grow really good carrots though. LOL!!!

Ickis

Veteran
Anxiously awaiting the return of Clayton Bigsby.

Hey here is where I didn't do good in the 420 Cup. One untested seed plant that I made and grew in a cornfield. Not some special clone like everyone else entered. Planted 3 seeds. Two were male and one was female. I entered it.

https://www.icmag.com/modules/Cup/

I know it was all photoshopped, trick photography and lies.

Someday Clayton you could be like me if you practice.

Now quit calling me out and I won't come back people. I have been through all these boring topics before.

There is more than one way to grow and grow safely.

Ickis

Veteran
wow...great pics. Still not 14oz worth of weed. lol

you know it...so do I.

and I rock 10 lighters...not little 250wt closets boy.

And yet your lack of pictures say you don't rock squat. Plus more than half your posts are worthless insults on various threads. Add that to the fact you don't know how much weed a quart mason jar holds or a gallon jar holds proves you never have even grown a full mason jar of weed and have very little to offer.

11 quart jars and a gallon jar means you have eaten crow in front of everyone in this thread.

Hey Von I didn't want to ruin your thread. I won't bog it down anymore. I have respect for the people that use ROLS. I just don't do it and don't want put down for not doing it.

May all your grows be productive, fun and get you high as a kite.

Peace out!

O

OrganicOzarks

wow...great pics. Still not 14oz worth of weed. lol

you know it...so do I.

and I rock 10 lighters...not little 250wt closets boy.

This sort of attitude is for football fans, not cannabis growers. 10 lights or 1 light we all have the same interest at hand. Let's grow the fuck up people, and stop cock fighting.