What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why aren´t more of you growing ROLS

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lots of people try it , untill they get RA,s , then abandon any further attempt to recycle.

Who are these "lots of people"? Are you one of them?
My soil seems to have a healthy population of predatory mites, which I imagine don't make for a very hospitable root aphid habitat. The mites originated in my worm bin where they were attracted by an outbreak of fungus gnats. They laid waste to the gnats, and now inhabit my soil.

I guess time will tell. Been about a year now with the same two batches of soilwithout any root-zone pests or pathogens.

DARC MIND

Veteran
only heard of RA problems with newbs using baged container media that we all know doesn't come close to the quality & peace of mind of a well thought out, personally designed mineral rich soil
im pretty sure those who get root aphids are not properly sourcing quality compost and worm casting, let alone mixing media from scratch nor conditioning with pest prevention amendments like neem or crabshell meal

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Managed to reuse and ammend soil based composts like JI 2 for years without issue , untill i acquired root aphids from garden centre ornamentals , not noticed for months by which time every stage and all plants given out were infected.

Now buy fresh components and use them once for canna , then reused outdoors in tubs/planters or on soil beds where RA,s are naturally controlled , many species are little damaged by them.

Local growers of ornamentals for exhibition no longer recycle for the same reason , except for steam sterilisation there seems no reliable way of treating contaminated media that does not involve heavy chems.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You will probably get them one day unless you treat it like a sealed cleanroom , and some neem and crabmeal will not stop them.

As good DIY mix costs a fraction of the electric used , and can still be reused in the greenhouse or in tubs outdoors , i no longer think its worth the risk , many infections will be out of the room before fliers appear and it breaks the cycle.

The soil in the greenhouse has never been dug since 1980 , toms and peppers thrive in a bed that has only ever been top dressed , and there are no soil pests apparent.

If the day comes when I face root aphids, so be it. But, I don't think that possibility should be enough to keep me or anyone from recycling soil. The act of recycling does not magically bring root aphids to an area where they are not. If I get root aphids and have to toss a batch of soil, I'm in the same situation you are - needing to mix up a new batch of soil. Only difference is the cost savings of NOT buying soil for the previous year+.

I see what your saying, but I'm not sure it's really a valid argument?

Ickis

Veteran
Because when I harvest I cut the stem at the base, take the pot outside and dump it on the mulch pile or in garden section. Then, at my leisure, I can break it up with a hoe and rake it all around. There is no mess and no fuss. Then I wash my pots with soap and water and a 10% clorox rinse and let them dry outside in the sun. They then get filled with new soil mix and the process starts all over.

I do what ROLS people do. I recycle the soil. Plus I don't have the hassle or mess inside.

I could also make a case that I support the economy more by buying new materials more often.

Oh and I like growing different ways. Some strains are better with organic, some are better with chemical ferts. I also run a couple PowerGrowers (bigger hydrofarm) because it is fun and for some reason The White loves a PowerGrower more than any other way.

Here is The White, one plant under a 250w HPS in a PowerGrower. 3 foot x 3 foot canopy and 14 ounces. :yoinks:

Ickis- One of the biggest benefits I see with recycling soil is that I have amendments at various stages of decomposition. For example, rock phosphate has been in my soil for about a year now, along with Azomite and oyster shell. These things take time to become available to the plant, and the soil keeps improving the longer it "marinates", so to speak.

Putting the soil in your garden is a whole lot better than tossing it in the garbage, but I thin you are missing out on the benefits. I was a skeptic until I tried it for myself.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Specific for RA,s which seem to take 90+ days to reach flying stage , if any eggs are laid they will emerge harmlessly outside , and will not be reintroduced and spread , i consider it a preventative measure and probably valid.

Can recycle infested compost for outdoor without issue , problems only arise when used indoors , and the only one that matters is RA,s.

On environmental grounds alone i hate waste, and will try predators if anyone has had success .

DARC MIND

Veteran
I wouldn't consider a 2yr run of a yet to be made known soil recipe or culture methods as a sound argument for recycled soil being prone to root aphids, indoor or not..
a handful have gotten past the 2yr mark, shared and documented the experience

from my understanding, pest attack stressed or weak plants
putting just amount of effort and passion to build mineral diverse, visually living soil have gotten me going on 7rs+ of outstanding success in recycled soil. the same soil that starts a diversity of endless seeds, is also used to fill containers for blooming yeska

never ever heard of root aphids until being asked about it from a canna grower scratching his head on my success.. i think soil enthusiast agree that proper made quality soil generates strong thriving rhizospheres of pest resistant vigorous plants, living ground covers diversifies this networking system & so does "feeding the soil" holistic practices.
as its the soil health & rhizosphere behind the nutrient cycling and disease suppression needed by plants

G.Goo

Why? Because I don't have time for the slow growth vs hydro. I do work a all organic soilless grow for a family member though.

Nothing but water Sub super soil style. Just not my cup of tea . Buying soil and amendments ,When all I have to do is get a cap of bleach and wash aquarium gravel 3$ at Lowes (Walkway gravel) and turn the faucet on for water.

Tap water
5$ bottle of PH Down
5$ bag of gravel
Everything else I can more then likely find around the house to make a DIY hydro system (Totes/bins)
10$ air pump
10$ water pump

Everything is able to be reused other then rockwool and res contents vs

7$ bale of peat
4$ bag of perlite
50-100$ in amendments to keep the soil going
Problems are also easier to fix in hydro . Dump and refill

U asked and I gave it to u

With that said I'll say organic always taste better to me anyway. even with 10-14 day flush in hydro.

Like I stated I over see a organic grow under 2x 600w and its just not as fast as RDWC or DWC or NFT ,AERO

Nothing against organic , I just don't have the time to play with all the in's and outs of it. Best tasting weed though IMO

V

vonforne

Why? Because I don't have time for the slow growth vs hydro. I do work a all organic soilless grow for a family member though.

Nothing but water Sub super soil style

And you produce this fast growing chemical mess for your patients you care so much about??????

Or for the quick buck?

And if you think that organic soil has a slow growth rate then you were not using the correct methods.

V

C

CT Guy

Oh and you couldn't pay me enough to run hydro, with all the chemicals you're forced to use, not to mention all the potential issues like root rot and reservoir problems. You don't have to flush, etc...

Was just appreciating today how I could walk outside and bite into a cherry tomato and a tomatillo without having to wash them because I know there's no dangerous pesticides or other chemicals on the plant.

I think a savvy organic grower can come pretty damn close to hydro, it just takes a bit of knowledge and education.

Ickis

Veteran
And you produce this fast growing chemical mess for your patients you care so much about??????

Or for the quick buck?

And if you think that organic soil has a slow growth rate then you were not using the correct methods.

V

Science supports that plants don't know what you gave them for their NPK. They just absorb the NPK. You can wrongly argue against that but then you will have to face a tsunami of scientific links that support what I posted.

Organic vegetables are not more nutritious than chemical vegetables and they don't taste better either.

Organic got twisted. Organics really was started as "no pesticides". Now that makes a difference. But then somebody thought hey I can raise them cheaper with compost and manures. But you can't do the volume and you don't make as much because you have to charge more. To justify the cost they started the organics is better because we don't use chemicals. Consumers leaped to think chemicals were pesticides. They don't correlate that chemical fertilizer does not mean they use pesticides.

C

CT Guy

Science supports that plants don't know what you gave them for their NPK. They just absorb the NPK. You can wrongly argue against that but then you will have to face a tsunami of scientific links that support what I posted.

Science supports that plants need more than just NPK. You can wrongly argue against that but then you will have to face a tsunami of scientific links that support what I posted.:tiphat:

V

vonforne

Organic vegetables are not more nutritious than chemical vegetables and they don't taste better either.

Organic git twisted. Organics really was started as "no pesticides". Now that makes a difference. But them somebody thought hey I can raise them cheaper with compost and manures. But you can't do the volume and you don't make as much because you have to charge more. To justify the cost they started the organics is better because we don't use chemicals. Consumers leaped to think chemicals were pesticides. They don't correlate that chemical fertilizer does not mean they use pesticides.

Of course the plant does not know if the nutrients are given in the ionic form or if the soil micro flora processed the nutrients. That is not what the discussion topic was. It was about preventing a pest infestation by building a diverse eco system within the soil structure.

But you can't do the volume and you don't make as much because you have to charge more.
What? lol

Science supports that plants need more than just NPK. You can wrongly argue against that but then you will have to face a tsunami of scientific links that support what I posted

Ickis

Veteran
You don't understand what I mean by.... But you can't do the volume and you don't make as much because you have to charge more.

The organic farmer can not produce the same volume of vegetables as the chemical farmer. It also takes more labor. If everyone went organic we wouldn't be able to feed all the people in the US. The free range chicken farmer can not do the same volume as the hideous chicken factories. It is said but true. So the organic farmer has to charge more for each vegetable and each chicken.

CT Guy I only mentioned NPK for ease of typing info. You are correct. However no matter what a plant needs (and it is more than NPK) it does not matter where it came from. They absorb it from whatever has it and is useable to the plant. And you won't have any links to counter that science.