What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cooked8 is that in norcal or socal. I'm in norcal and been hearing 12ish for outs but haven't brought to market yet hoping to see higher numbers

At this point it almost doesnt even matter. Im in so cal but i have people up north begging for my indoor offering to pay 32. I get 3 here so absolutely not worth the ride. Also seems pretty unusual eh? Bringing herb to Humboldt county from down south? Makes my head hurt lol.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am in so cal, I have bought great outdoor only to have it sit until I sold it at a higher price, and called it indoor. We rarely see outdoor here.

Sativa is a non starter, no one buys it.

Deps get held back the same way, people do it with deps and outs of the highest quality so they can blast the drier market months later. Its a business strategy that works every year, just gotta store it properly. And yes, sativas are not whats “in” at all. People want narcotic like ogs, cookies and things of that nature. Nobody wants to run some 16 week strain to get less money for it.

thedudefresco

Ash from wood/brush/forest fires isn't "toxic" to plants & soil in small amounts...Ash is loaded with potassium and minerals.

If the ash is from a city burning down & houses burning, then yea there's def some nasty stuff in it.

My plants got dusted with ash a couple times during early flowering, I just gave them a gentle rinse down with water from the hose.

How long is a "few years back"?

I remember seeing snocap a lot back around 2007-ish to 2010-ish, but I haven't come across or heard about it in a long time.

Tho I did come across some Snocap shatter/sugar 2 or 3 years ago, it's been a very long time since I've seen or smoked the flower.

It is a favorite of mine for sure.

09-10 sounds about right to me. Age of the Sensi Star, too.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Finding the right Sat hybrid will make a huge difference. The main reason not many grow them commercially is lots of B grade in them, and they take too long to grow. If people would take the time to look through these like they do others they would be pleasantly surprised. 10.5 week harvest times are not that much more than others. The quality is worth it. Lots of killer Haze/Sat poly hybrids are coming. These will fetch top dollar.

Last edited:

packerfan79

Veteran
At this point it almost doesnt even matter. Im in so cal but i have people up north begging for my indoor offering to pay 32. I get 3 here so absolutely not worth the ride. Also seems pretty unusual eh? Bringing herb to Humboldt county from down south? Makes my head hurt lol.

I know guys in the Riverside area that take 30 pounds a week to Oakland. Wierd but they get more for it their. Which really sucks, cause I like to buy their product.

musigny23

I am in so cal, I have bought great outdoor only to have it sit until I sold it at a higher price, and called it indoor. We rarely see outdoor here.

Sativa is a non starter, no one buys it.

Gee that kinda illustrates my point. It actually doesn't matter where it was grown if people have a perception it's good and if they can't tell the difference, well...

Maybe where you are they don't buy sativa and that's their loss. And it depends on the sativa, also some hybrids are very sativa dominant and many people don't even realize it.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gee that kinda illustrates my point. It actually doesn't matter where it was grown if people have a perception it's good and if they can't tell the difference, well...

Maybe where you are they don't buy sativa and that's their loss. And it depends on the sativa, also some hybrids are very sativa dominant and many people don't even realize it.

This is very true. Im a huge fan of the sativas. Spent some time in Amsterdam in 08 and thats haze heaven and they have the market for it! People out here just dont know or care. Its annoying because i would happily take some badass sativas up to 12 weeks if i knew the price and yield would reflect a win over some 9week og or cookie cut.

sourD

This is very true. Im a huge fan of the sativas. Spent some time in Amsterdam in 08 and thats haze heaven and they have the market for it! People out here just dont know or care. Its annoying because i would happily take some badass sativas up to 12 weeks if i knew the price and yield would reflect a win over some 9week og or cookie cut.

I have been following this thread since the beginning. This is not the first time two members have gone off topic discussing sativa growing versus Indica growing in the WHOLESALE prices thread. It is like the 30th time. So yeah, lame.

musigny23

You seem unfamiliar with the market in California. You also seem very opinionated about outdoor being the best so we can just leave it there. The top shelf stuff for the highest price is always indoor because it required more bills along the way, there is way more quality control and higher quality to be had because of the control of the environment. All of that control costs money.

Unfamiliar? No. I've been working in the CA market since 1978. I've seen everything in that time. And I mean everything.

I understand you say I'm opinionated but I've never seen any indoor that even matched the best outdoor never mind exceeded it in terms of authentic terpene profiles and quality of the effects. Artificial lights and technology allow for certain things but they can't beat nature when it comes the achieving the very highest degree of genetic expression. If you disagree you need to do more exploration and research.

To get on topic and return to pricing. I understand the market is where it is, but it doesn't make sense. Fundamental quality should drive price not "bills". Products with higher production costs aren't automatically awarded higher price. Generally such a product loses the competition and goes away.UNLESS, clever marketing can overcome the disadvantage and keep demand going.

I first saw indoor lbs enter the market about 1987 or so and mainly as a substitute. Prohibition kept supply of outdoor very limited and it was a response. Back then, no one preferred it except the grower. The prohibition created such high prices that it was worth paying the bills to produce. Indoor also made it possible to grow more or less anywhere. Made some sense then, but that was then. For many years, I would pose this question to buyers when discussing the merits, "what's the best thing about indoor?". People would come up with various answers but never the correct one, which was (and remains), "the money it made for the grower."

For the past nearly 20 years, supply has increased and prices dropped significantly and along came the opportunity to produce full season, full sun, totally organic outdoor in CA. And top outdoor growers with great genetics have been doing it. So why pay uncompetitive prices for a product that can't truly express the best genetics to the highest degree, making what it offers merely "skin deep"? There is simply no way, that indoor can offer double the value compared to the best grown and processed outdoor. To think so is disconnected from reality.

I have participated in all levels of the market and retailed to thousands of buyers over the past 40+ years. I can't begin to tell you how many times a buyer would check out the product and ask, "Is this indoor or outdoor". Or how many times a middleman was able to sell some outdoor as indoor because the person wanted it was willing to pay more but couldn't actually tell the difference.
That's a major reason this current market pricing doesn't make sense.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please lets stay on topic . This thread is about Wholesale prices in CALIFORNIA. If you wish to discuss other subjects please feel free to make a thread about them .

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, when we talk about which strains do well in the california market, even compare them to other markets, were wayyyy off topic and should just simply write numbers out and locations and never veer into which strains do well or why? Wtf? I dont see how the discussion went too off topic but whatever. I guess my contributions are too complex. Pardon me.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been following this thread since the beginning. This is not the first time two members have gone off topic discussing sativa growing versus Indica growing in the WHOLESALE prices thread. It is like the 30th time. So yeah, lame.

Because that doesnt have any effect on the market does it? This is absurd. What EXACTLY do you expect to see in here ffs? What would make this thread perfect for your viewing pleasure?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please lets stay on topic . This thread is about Wholesale prices in CALIFORNIA. If you wish to discuss other subjects please feel free to make a thread about them .

In other threads, such as the cookies thread, should we call out “OFF TOPIC” anytime someone compares it to a gsc cross? How about if someone God forbid wonders how it compares to an OG hybrid? If this thread is that limited as to how far the discussion can go why even have it. You outta close this, start a new one and have it read “this is the only way to contribute via this template”

Strain:
Indoor/deps/outdoor:

And thats it. Because apparently ANY other discussion is off topic. Everything that has been discussed either had to do with the california market or how it compares to another and why certain things do well here and cost what they do.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didnt say any names or point this comment at anyone in particular ... if the shoe fits wear it .. if it doesnt then I guess there is nothing to say , just stay on topic. Jeesh

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didnt say any names or point this comment at anyone in particular ... if the shoe fits wear it .. if it doesnt then I guess there is nothing to say , just stay on topic. Jeesh

Id just like to know where it went off topic? Ay carumba!

musigny23

Is the thread only about the "what" and possibly "where" of prices? Is the "why" of prices considered off topic? Because to discuss it sometimes additional context is going to be needed.

The "why" of prices seems entirely relevant considering the thread title. Prices plummet! Well "why" is that? Starting to get better Well better for who? And again "why".

If "why" and elaborations about that are off topic maybe there should be a thread called CA market daily price quotes. That would make it clear it's about numbers only.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is the thread only about the "what" and possibly "where" of prices? Is the "why" of prices considered off topic? Because to discuss it sometimes additional context is going to be needed.

The "why" of prices seems entirely relevant considering the thread title. Prices plummet! Well "why" is that? Starting to get better Well better for who? And again "why".

If "why" and elaborations about that are off topic maybe there should be a thread called CA market daily price quotes. That would make it clear it's about numbers only.

This! Thank you!