What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

MPL

Dude are you running 10kW in two tents? That's what you'd need to do to get your electric bill to $700 a month in California, at least in the central valley.

You can run 1kW for a 30 day veg and a 60 day flower cycle for $81.80 a month for the 3 month period. It'll cost less if you use 18/6 instead of 20/4, and even less than that if you don't veg under 1kW HID.

30 days @ 20 hours per day. 1kW * 20 = 20kWh/day; 20kWh * 30 = 600kWh/month

60 days @ 12 hours per day. 1kW * 12 = 12kWh/day; 12kWh * 60 = 720kWh/month

At 18.6 cents per hour (Tier 2 rates), we get 1320 * 0.185900 = $245.39 every 3 months. This will cost an average $81.80 every month

Do you do business as a grower? Because if you do and you don't even know precisely what your electricity costs are I don't see how you are able to stay around. What on earth are you running in two tents that'll cost $700 a month to operate?

Note, I'm not bashing you, I'm just in awe at $700 from two tents. I gotta know what's up. :D

run two tents in California, and your paying $700.00 a month electricity, or more.
Add in your soil, and quality ferts from start to finish.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^well if his tent are big he can have 2000-4000k in each plus there is water chillers, ac units, dehumidifiers, inline fans, water pumps, etc. it adds up. It is easy to have a 700 dollar a month electricity bill.

MPL

I suppose he could have two of those new giant Secret Jardin tents.

Like I said I wasn't trying to bash, but that number just seemed quite extraordinary to me. As they say, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence!

:dance013:

^well if his tent are big he can have 2000-4000k in each plus there is water chillers, ac units, dehumidifiers, inline fans, water pumps, etc. it adds up. It is easy to have a 700 dollar a month electricity bill.

Grass Lands

Veteran
Dude are you running 10kW in two tents? That's what you'd need to do to get your electric bill to $700 a month in California, at least in the central valley.

You can run 1kW for a 30 day veg and a 60 day flower cycle for $81.80 a month for the 3 month period. It'll cost less if you use 18/6 instead of 20/4, and even less than that if you don't veg under 1kW HID.

30 days @ 20 hours per day. 1kW * 20 = 20kWh/day; 20kWh * 30 = 600kWh/month

60 days @ 12 hours per day. 1kW * 12 = 12kWh/day; 12kWh * 60 = 720kWh/month

At 18.6 cents per hour (Tier 2 rates), we get 1320 * 0.185900 = $245.39 every 3 months. This will cost an average $81.80 every month

Do you do business as a grower? Because if you do and you don't even know precisely what your electricity costs are I don't see how you are able to stay around. What on earth are you running in two tents that'll cost $700 a month to operate?

Note, I'm not bashing you, I'm just in awe at $700 from two tents. I gotta know what's up. :D

Add the AC, fans and other misc elec stuff that goes along with a grow and the bill can add up pretty damn fast...and in the summer months it really adds up when the heat hits...there is more to growing then just running lights...and it all adds up...

MPL

Yeah, I know, I cut and pasted that out of my own stuff.

Even with AC etc. all running on a 1kW tent I think the number I came up with was right around $100 per month average for a 90 day cycle.

Add the AC, fans and other misc elec stuff that goes along with a grow and the bill can add up pretty damn fast...and in the summer months it really adds up when the heat hits...there is more to growing then just running lights...and it all adds up...

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
MPL, really? You run a 1K, AC and everything else for 100 a month? A 1K alone is nearly that much to run out here.

MPL

That's if I am using my HID for veg. It actually comes out about 25% cheaper just on the lighting since I don't normally veg under HID. That includes the costs of the T8s for moms and seedlings, clones etc.

Add in AC, pumps, water etc. and I'm still under $100.

MPL, really? You run a 1K, AC and everything else for 100 a month? A 1K alone is nearly that much to run out here.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
.09 /kwh here for unlimited use, I ain't in cali though.

I'm amazed at that price gap. How could it really cost that much more to produce electricity over there vs here.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
It seems to me that its on a sliding scale here. The more you use puts you into higher per KWH cost brackets. two 5x5 tents 2-1k lights 1 t-5 set up,a ccouple t-8s, 4 fans, one tent running 24 hours one on 12s.

It was over $750.00, and that includes the house too. No central air. Per month. The indoor grow is down now, and the electricity cost is down to 230 per month, but thats with the AC wall units going non stop. So the bottom line is over 500 just on the grow.

Its hobby growing. R and D. Making seed. Making stash. bartering for labor and goods.Giving buds to those in need who cant afford. This isnt a business here. I have a career. So the cost isnt a real issue, its just an annoyance during indoor grow season.Still cheaper then buying weed, and a whole lot funner to grow your own

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yea MPL i think central valley electric is cheaper...kind of like an unspoken subsidy for the farmers out there or something....plus when you only run 1kw you stay within tier 2 which is cheap rates....once you push over 3-4kw you hit tier 4 rates which reach 44 cents per hour...

i got a bunch of friends running 10kw+ without care and the average cost is around 800 bucks for every 5 lights...per month.......i run around 5 lights on care and i paid 300 bucks or so....CARE recently audited me but its all good keep your 1040 under 33k a year and your bank account statements under that amount too....

MPL

That's insane Dr. Purpur. Basically $700 a month for a full 4kW set up. Wow. That's almost double what a 4kW set up runs where I'm at. We only have two tiers here, and I price everything based on tier 2 because there is no way I'm staying in tier 1. Hell I can't stay in tier 1 WITHOUT a grow going. lol

On one hand I feel naieve about the cost of electricity, and on the other I don't feel naieve at all because those rates are just ridiculous.

It seems to me that its on a sliding scale here. The more you use puts you into higher per KWH cost brackets. two 5x5 tents 2-1k lights 1 t-5 set up,a ccouple t-8s, 4 fans, one tent running 24 hours one on 12s.

It was over $750.00, and that includes the house too. No central air. Per month. The indoor grow is down now, and the electricity cost is down to 230 per month, but thats with the AC wall units going non stop. So the bottom line is over 500 just on the grow.

Its hobby growing. R and D. Making seed. Making stash. bartering for labor and goods.Giving buds to those in need who cant afford. This isnt a business here. I have a career. So the cost isnt a real issue, its just an annoyance during indoor grow season.Still cheaper then buying weed, and a whole lot funner to grow your own

MPL

We only have tier 1 and tier 2 here. They got rid of tier 3 a year or so ago.

44c per hour. eek that's crazy!

yea MPL i think central valley electric is cheaper...kind of like an unspoken subsidy for the farmers out there or something....plus when you only run 1kw you stay within tier 2 which is cheap rates....once you push over 3-4kw you hit tier 4 rates which reach 44 cents per hour...

i got a bunch of friends running 10kw+ without care and the average cost is around 800 bucks for every 5 lights...per month.......i run around 5 lights on care and i paid 300 bucks or so....CARE recently audited me but its all good keep your 1040 under 33k a year and your bank account statements under that amount too....

grow nerd

Veteran

An 11 light (5 non-aircooled, 6 air-cooled) sealed setup ran a hair under $4k every month w/o CARE.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
dam grow nerd, running a diesel generator would be cheaper than that, as long as its a mitsubishi which burns 1 gal/hr at 12kw for a 20kw genny.