What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who uses a vaporizer...

Juan Budd

Only had the CFX since yesterday but it is testing very well :D My Arizer Solo and Air taste better but the CFX is significantly better in every other way. Battery life and power are amazing. 10 second heat up time. I can put a joint's worth of weed in the thing and take it to work. Be awesome if the plastic taste goes away.

How's it going with your CFX? Did the taste improve?

JB.

RB56

Veteran
How's it going with your CFX? Did the taste improve?

JB.
Plastic taste is gone. I think I get a hint of it occasionally but it's at least as likely that I'm imagining that. Either way, it's not an issue for me. I'm going through weed a lot faster than I did with the Arizer Solo and Air. I'm also using it more than the others, so that's part of it. I don't care - probably most here don't. The vapor is much thicker and richer, so well worth it to me. Gets me high much faster.

I haven't cleaned the mouthpiece yet but that should just take some disassembly and isopropyl. The included tools do an outstanding job of cleaning the device between uses.

It feels quite durable and hasn't had any problems spending days in my pants pockets banging into things. How that turns out will determine how good the value is, but highly recommend it, with that caveat.

I started with a table top vape. Wanted portable, so go a Magic Flight Box. It worked, but finicky and slow as hell. Got a Solo. That was good enough to put away the desktop unit. Wasn't as good as the desktop, but close enough to not bother with 2. CFX feels like as much of an advance as it was between MFB and Solo. Still use the Air and Solo a little, for totally pure, tiny hits.

RB56

Veteran
Forgot to mention that the 10 second heat up time is wrong. That's how long it takes for the heater to get to temperature but you want the heat the herb for another 20-30 seconds to get good vapor production. Very powerful and long lasting battery, nonetheless.

superx

Veteran
Is the CFX convection/conduction or hybrid ? looks like the poor mans mighty...

Not casting aspersions, I have the mighty is the CFX superior ? I was always under the assumption the mighty is one of the best portables on the market along with the firefly2, not sure where the CFX fits in? Does it have unique features I am not aware of? tnx

Green Squall

Hows the CFX with small loads? I think my dad wants a vape. I gave him a spoon and he says it can be harsh. This coming from someone who smoked cigs for 30 years lol.

Is the CF just a smaller version?

RB56

Veteran

Not casting aspersions, I have the mighty is the CFX superior ? I was always under the assumption the mighty is one of the best portables on the market along with the firefly2, not sure where the CFX fits in? Does it have unique features I am not aware of? tnx
Don't know how the Mighty and CFX compare. As I said, I was set on the Mighty, about to pull the trigger when I started to run into posts from unhappy users complaining about QC and CS problems that weren't resolved. Just not willing to take the risk at that price point.

RB56

Veteran
Hows the CFX with small loads? I think my dad wants a vape. I gave him a spoon and he says it can be harsh. This coming from someone who smoked cigs for 30 years lol.

CFX works fine with small quantities. If that were my exclusive use, I'd probably stick with the Arizer Air or Solo. Air's battery doesn't last as long as the Solo, but the Air lets you excange batteries on the fly. For all I know, there could be many better options out there. These are just the ones I've used.

superx

Veteran
Don't know how the Mighty and CFX compare. As I said, I was set on the Mighty, about to pull the trigger when I started to run into posts from unhappy users complaining about QC and CS problems that weren't resolved. Just not willing to take the risk at that price point.

No problem, if you get a chance Try the mighty....

Dried flowers or extracts, whats your preference ?

superx

Veteran

Hey Gs, did you make a decision? Seems the CF is the down grade..

Sometimes you cant teach an old dog - new tricks....

hazyfontazy

Veteran

i had the mighty and crafty both awesome but i think the cf/cfx are slightly better ..the heat up time is so much quicker and the bowls are bigger ,little things that make a big difference

practically identical to the crafty and mighty ,,not cheap chinese rubbish though

cfx is now $125 ,,bargain

Last edited:

RB56

Veteran
Boundless CFX Update

Boundless CFX Update

So, 2 1/2 weeks in. Several sessions a day. I've had to clean the mouthpiece twice. It comes apart into 6 pieces. I cleaned wit Isopropyl then soapy water. We'll see, but I'm expecting to need to replace the mouthpiece every 6 months or so. $15 each, so not a big issue.

I don't see any obvious way to access the weed chamber to clean it. Blowing compressed air dislodges brown dust, so I'm concerned if that part of the air/heating path can't be cleaned.

I just tried a session with my Arizer Air, since I hadn't used it since the CFX arrived. CFX as great for loading up, throwing in a bag, taking a few and tossing back into the bag. Very self contained.

The Arizer has several advantages. The air path is all glass, except for the bottom metal of the heating element. The plastic taste of the CFX went away but the Air tastes much better. The Air produces more vapor and is much easier to clean since only the glass stem gets dirty.

The Air is more finicky - same applies to the Solo. Not all of the glass stems work as well as others. I buy a few at a time and try them. About 50/50. The bad ones aren't terrible, but the draw is harder. With a good stem, the Air has a much easier draw than the CFX too.

Both have their strong points but I expect to spend more time with the Arizer products.

RB56

Veteran
Better than 21 weeks with the CFX and I don't love it. Good points are that the battery charge lasts a usefully long time and the heating chamber holds a good quantity of weed. Bad points are cleaning - getting harder and harder to keep the mouthpiece usable. You need isopropyl to clean it (after disassembly), but the plastic parts must be getting pitted or rough, because they get dirtier faster after each cleaning. Replacing mouthpieces will be an ongoing issue. At $15/per and probably one every two weeks, for optimal function, not the end of the world, but a pain. The digital display also has some annoying glitches, biggest is that if the device shuts down on time, the next time you start it manually, it shuts down, so you start it again.

My new favorite portable vape is the Arizer Solo II that just arrived. Better electronics than the original Solos I have and also has the "dimples" in the heating chamber from the Air. These dimples really improve airflow.

The Air worked great when I was quitting cigarettes with the help of a box mod vaporizer. It used the same 18650 batteries as the air. Kept a charger going with multiple batteries, carried charged batteries with me and used them in both devices. Nicotine vaping ran its course. After I quit, the Air batteries became a PITA - not enough charge to get through multiple sessions and not worth the maintenance effort by itself. The Air is a very compact device, so useful for that.

Solo II would be perfect if they added a USB port for slow charging in addition to the proprietary one they use, like the CFX does. Found that handy.

Biggest factor for me is the vapor path the Arizer products use. Stainless steel and glass. Nothing sticks to the stainless. When the glass gets dirty, into isopropyl for cleaning. Glass stems are cheap and having a few in rotation is simple.

Koondense

Veteran
Thanks for the sincere review, RB56.
I see a lot of cfx users are modifying their vapes to use with glass pieces and bongs. But still Arizer Solo is better, no doubt for me, even without trying.

To add a bit on the topic, I own and use a Grasshopper and found it to be impractical because of short battery life. Well then I ordered some new batteries and noticed they were the 2nd version, the battery i got with the vape was 1st version. The new batteries make the Grasshopper work better than when it was new, produces nice thick tasty vapour, especially when applied to a bong.
I rediscovered my vape and now i love it even more, a really great piece of equipment.

Cheers

RB56

Veteran
Grasshopper looks interesting. Sworn off buying more vapes for 6 months so it will have to wait :)

One other + for Arizer and - for CFX is filling. Arizer, just plunge the glass into ground weed, spin it on your fingertip and done. CFX is a little more awkward - The heating chamber opening is surrounded by an open "moat". Some weed always falls into the moat, even when I make a little folded paper loading chute. Fill, pack and either pick weed out of the moat or put your fingertip over the heating chamber opening and blow on it, scattering weed on the table, floor, etc. Not a huge deal, just awkward, IMO.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I love the hot box vaporizer the one I had did me good for like 3 years or so before shitting on me it was so beneficial too coz I could use the reburn and make edibles making the vape program the most effective recycling system to medicating

hazyfontazy

Veteran
Grasshopper looks interesting. Sworn off buying more vapes for 6 months so it will have to wait :)

One other + for Arizer and - for CFX is filling. Arizer, just plunge the glass into ground weed, spin it on your fingertip and done. CFX is a little more awkward - The heating chamber opening is surrounded by an open "moat". Some weed always falls into the moat, even when I make a little folded paper loading chute. Fill, pack and either pick weed out of the moat or put your fingertip over the heating chamber opening and blow on it, scattering weed on the table, floor, etc. Not a huge deal, just awkward, IMO.

that was 1 of the advantages of the crafty and mighty ,the filling tool worked well ,,i believe boundless have addresses this and made one too :tiphat:

nattyroots

Love them dynavap vapes.
Very easy to adapt to bongs and other instruments.
And hits so tasty. And never breaks.
Never tried the grasshopper. But it looks really nice.