What's new

White Widow Grow

Mibri

Hi guys.
Rebuilding my ebb&flow system a bit today. Found out that the way i cut the alu made it a bit too high. Plants wouldn't be able to be 3' hight the way i made it. Mostly i won't be needing more since im going sog, but i do want to have the oportunity to grow larger if i want. (especially on the Jack Herer grow. I want them to be able to stretch. When my one Northern Lights 5# x Haze plant has a "5#" What is it that means? Backcross? I just think that male look very Sativaish. Well coffee break's over. Gonna build and be back with some serious update later on. Have fun - i'm gonna

Mibri

Hi Guys. Here's a fresh update of the Grow.

First, the beautiful Jack Herer seedlings. Finally up and ready to start some growing 10 are up now, and i'm hoping the last 6 will be up by tomorrow;

The leaves from the regenerated NL#5 x Haze male don't have the zigzags on the leaves yet;

A picture from the flowerroom, that is now vegging;

The plants are not tied down now after the replant. Dunno, just like them as they look righ now.
The new design of the Ebb&Flow gave me heaps of more growth hight. I think they will be able to grow as high as 4' in the two trays now, if i'd like that some time. Would like to see that. I'm gonna wait a while putting more lights up. That 600hps really gives some boost to them. While i've been building the new trays today they were under the fluors, and i actually think they looked better after some time under there. Is it because they aren't used to the hps yet or what can i be? They look kinda droopy or something when not foliar feedet as on they pics.

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Mibri: Looking good, as far as where you want the RW starter cube in the pot try putting a thin layer (1-2") of rock in the bottom of the pot and letting her stretch out a bit before filling the pot the rest of the way. You WANT the RW to stay moist or it won't have enough supplies to grow longer roots. If you do place the RW high in the pot, you want to be sure AT LEAST 1/2 the cube gets flooded. And as far as Tokeabowl's post, you're not using much RW at all, the larger plants can suck a starter cube dry in a short period of time and any stem under hydroton that is getting wet regularly will start forming roots, much like a clone (but it already had roots below), that's the bumps you get on a stem above the medium, it's starting to root but realizes that there is no maisture and stops.

Mibri

Great, tx. I just put the plants a bit further down. They started to look a bit droopy or so at 70 cm from the lamp, so now i moved them down to 100cm and see how they'll be tomorrow. Is it completely impossible to overwater this way? As long as the bottom drains (i find that these buckets don't drain completely. A couple of hours after watering i can still pour water out of bottom when tilting it slightly. That must be a problem? Maybe its just the water from further up the bucket still running out. What u think?

imnotcrazy

Veteran
IMHO flood frequency should be based on 4 things: #1-Size of plant, #2-medium used, #3- Ambient Temps and #4- Flood Height (obviously more flood height leaves more damp medium between floods. I can flood both 4" RW cubes and the Hydroton in pots I'm using now just by changing flood height. Want to limit the chance of overwatering new clones/seedlings drop the flood height/raise individual pots somehow to limit the amount of water they'll have between floodings, in fact that's all I did when I changed mediums.

Mibri

Sounds like a good idea. I ordered some pots for the plants. They were pretty inexpensive, and i do need some more. New pots are 6,5 l instead of these 10 l. I figure if u can grow plants that size in 0,25 l. Then 6,5 l must definately be enough to carry a pretty heavy lady. What u say to that water pouring out after couple of hours? Maybe i just need more hole. There's like 1,5" between them now. Should be draining nicely, but still pouring exceeding water out after two h.

imnotcrazy

Veteran
That pooling of water is good if there isn't too much that is. If your pump fails by chance, the plants still have reserve water for a period of time that could allow you time to fix the problem. It's not like they are sitting in a pool of water right? Less than a 1/2 liter shouldn't be a problem.

Mibri

Ah, okay - no problem then. Great stuff. It was just because they looked a bit sad under the hps, so i started worrying if anything was wrong - like overwatering, or if it was just the powerlamp. So i guess it's just the hps that is a bit hard on them these first days even when kept at a distance.

imnotcrazy

Veteran
More than likely, they were underwatered. Was the RW cube getting hit by the flood? if not there's your problem, when transplanting, give them a good soaking and make sure the cube gets wet if not the plants will only have water supplied where roots are moist.

Mibri

The ebb&flow is not connected yet, so i gave them a dip to over the rw. So they are wet for sure.

imnotcrazy

Veteran
Good, if they have to search out the water/nutes, they stunt until they find it

Mibri

Today i moved the plants up to about 50 cm from the 600 hps. They seem to have gotten used to it now. Maybe it was because i repotted them the same day as they got away from the fluors and under the sun, that they were sad the last days.

Mibri

oh - i forgot. I saw a scheme somewhere that showed the intensity of light at different distances. Anybody know where that might have been?

Mibri

Hi guys. Anybody know when i should give the young seedlings full strength fertilizer? I give them half doze now, but wanna give them the best as soon as they can manage it

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I think about a week after my plants showed their first real leaves I gave them 1/4 strength, and the next feeding they got 1/2 strength, and since then it's been full strength. I think I might've burned like... 1cm on the tips of the leaves but they look great and show no signs of stress. I think you've just gotta feed them and see how they react.

Mibri

Hehe, yes i could do that, but if i burned all the seedlings i would be pretty unhappy. A couple of simple questions and i don't have to guess. The amount you're using sounds pretty good to me though.

Mibri

Hi Guys. Here's an update on the Widows. The day after i put them under the hps they looked pretty sad. The water had bubbles on it, and it was unclear after 4 days.
I have now bought a bubbler and changed the water to half strength. Adjustet the ph with sulphuric acid.
I then took each plant and dipped it in the water severel times to flush the nasty water out of them and give them the mild fertilizer solution. After two days they now look healthy again. Here are some pics;

The new setup of the free ebb&flow trays is much better. Doesn't take as much space as the other one where i reused the alu frames.

The Jack Herer seedlings are looking good. I feed them with 1/3 strength and foliar feed all plants severel times each day so far.

Mibri

Here's a couple of pics from today. Just put up white plastic in the room. Made the light in there even better. The plants are very healthy again and starting to grow properly after a couple of days stalling:

G

second post...peace

Mibri said:
oh - i forgot. I saw a scheme somewhere that showed the intensity of light at different distances. Anybody know where that might have been?