What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

where to get good recreational in denver?

S

SooperSmurph

Im going to be in Colorado for a couple days.

I was wondering if someone could tell me which is the best brand of concentrate to buy?
Lots of names out there, the one demanding the consistently highest price at most establishments is "black label" concentrates, not sure why, haven't tried it :biggrin:

OlDirtyHuman

Went to La Conte's South last week and got this Grape Ape and their Chem Dank which I haven't tried yet.

Best cure of anything I've had so far in Colorado. I'm just used to Southern weed where everything is more humid. Looked good smelled god and did the job.

S

SooperSmurph

Yeah if La Conte's impressed you're definitely used to southern weed ;)

S

SooperSmurph

Kind Love now serves Rec, so they'd be my pick all day for quality. Located in the shopping center at Leetsdale & Alameda, next to the Petco/Smart (I forget which). They're having a sale on their in house waxes, 3/100 on nug runs, 4/100 on trim runs.

Wellspring on Broadway has always been consistently good in my experiences, especially if you choose one of their more outstanding strains like Lemon Skunk on the sativa side or Ingrid if you're an indica man, these guys tend to be on the more reasonably priced side, so if you're looking for a balance between quality and price this is a great place to check out.

OlDirtyHuman

Yeah 3 fat healthy looking seeds. One got a little cracked going through the grinder. I put that one and one of the good ones in water. Gonna check the rest of the bud closely before grinding.:biggrin:
The bud I took the picture of looked much better than the rest in the bag. Nice relaxing smoke.

mayorofthdesert

Man am I disappointed in the quality of flower I can afford up here in foco. It's all so homogenous. Barely discernable taste/smell differences, machine trimmed... Obviously rushed. I understand the de$ire to rush product to the shelves, but for shit's sake, a proper cure only means you need more storage/drying space, it only costs you time to market once when you make the switch to caring. If you plan on a 2 month cure for each harvest instead of 2 weeks you wait 6 weeks longer the first time only. Once the first propper batch is on the shelves your next harvest will follow in the same timeframe it did when you cured for 2 weeks. I've pretty much been sticking to concentrates but picked up an 8th of some G-13 from the store & I can hardly finish a bowl. Not cause I'm stoned, cause I find it so bland and boring. (Also I rarely smoke indicas but grabbed it on a whim hoping that a pure indie would be novel enough to hold my attention for a while - nope). Had better luck w/ craigslist but it's hit and miss for sure.
Could be variables I'm not aware of like limits on stocking product or other gov't hoops to jump through, I'm no expert & know nothing about the industry aside from being a consumer and occasional personal grower.

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it's been said before and i'll say it again; you really should check craigslist. i have a close friend who works hard off craigslist in the foco area, and he has competition out there....
imo you have more chance to get quality herb NOT in a licensed shop.

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
it's been said before and i'll say it again; you really should check craigslist. i have a close friend who works hard off craigslist in the foco area, and he has competition out there....
imo you have more chance to get quality herb NOT in a licensed shop.

Agreed the small ski town I lived in nobody I mean nobody but the tourist go to the 2 shops in town. All the old people still have the best stuff including the original dawg lines and diesels.

This is exactly what you will see if and when national legalization occurs. Mass grows, 50 day and cut em down and throw em in a giant trimmer and sell at top dollar. Only care there is there bottom line and how to raise their own profits.

Home grown will still prevail because people like me do not believe in paying for inferior product.

LT

phazer

been in Colorado for four years now and have visited many a dispos. The few that i have seen with good flower, only left to disappoint me the next time i came in. They all dry their flower out way to much, and doesn't seem like any of them have superior genetics.

Also for being a caregiver, things have changed drastically in CO. to be a registered caregiver and be allowed to grow someone elses plants, you have to register with the mmed and another state organization(forget now). But by registering as a caregiver you are put on a list. This list is available to law enforcement and they can come over to your grow anytime to check up on ur plant count. Even doing legit within the numbers i would never trust that bs. Legalization is gonna ruin our right to grow

OlDirtyHuman

On the esteemed Mr Smurph's suggestion I went to Wellspring.

Got the XJ13(Jack Herer x g13) Buds looked very nice in the store and had a unique smell. It stank.

Great cure, looked almost as good as the display. Nice clear motivating high. The kind that makes you break out the lights and the tripod. Did find an immature seed in it. Both of the Grape Ape seeds sprouted from the post.

Very nice smoke.

If I was a little braver I'd be down to hook up with someone on craigslist. Unfortunately, as a recent transplant to Denver from the South I bring decades of slight paranoia with me. I figure this thread is for people on vacation that want to know which dispensaries have weed that won't disappoint. :huggg:

BullDogDad

The Lemon Cake at Green Depot in Denver is fire! And some of the tastiest, sour/tangy/citrus I've had in a long time. It's a drive across town for me so I always call first to make sure it's in.

In general, I agree with the majority on this thread. This day and age in CO one should be able to purchase some of the best cannabis in the world. But it's simply not the case. The market is dominated by commercial indicas that I rushed through to market.

Some good strains to watch out for, golden goat, blue dream, biojesus from Denver Relief is bomb, Grape God Bud from the Clinic (although I've seen the Clinic's quality go down since moving here in 2011. Natty Rems down at 16th street mall has good nugs.

As far as concentrates go. I've never had any shatter, wax, live resin etc, that didn't get me high as fuck. However, finding something that has the potency AND flavor has been hit or miss in my experience. I've always had good luck with Mahatma brand. I got some nice Grape Lui shatter from Silver Stem on colfax that tested @83% and was really tasty. Gotten some nice shatter from frosted leaf on Colfax as well.

S

SooperSmurph

I almost never sample G13 hybrids, simply because I always want to know whether the G13 was Pacific, Airborne, or generic, and that wondering always drives me insane.

Looks like you got a nice one there though, ODH, glad to see they're still curing properly over there at Wellspring despite how popular they are, as some have said, when they do certain sales they have lines around the block that just about clean out the store.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Is there really any herb in Colorado that's worth driving across three or more states for? Just asking...

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is there really any herb in Colorado that's worth driving across three or more states for? Just asking...

there is LOTS of very very high quality herb in colorado
the problem is that much of it is NOT available in the licensed state shops....
so yes there is, getting access to it.... therein lies the challenge.

also, depends on your own situation in whatever state you are in....
If you are well connected with growers / brokers / dealers in your area and have access to decent herb... maybe a trip to Colorado just for herb aint for you.
On the other hand, simply the novelty of purchasing legal cannabis in your own country (not having to go to amsterdam to do it, like people have been for so long) is really a nice feeling no matter the quality of herb you are buyihng, and perhap it's even worth traveling for (especially for the old hippies who thought they would NEVER see this day in America).

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Thanks! Yeah, I know there is that thing of smoking legally, be cause I went to Amsterdam for the HTCC, and had a blast, buying and smoking weed publicly.

Is there some of that vibe in Colorado? Because that would be a factor in going!

p.s.- are you saying that most of the best shit is being done on the down low, like, among friends?

S

SooperSmurph

The best stuff will always be artisanal, dispensaries are profit machines driven by supply and demand with only state regulations reigning them in, "caregivers" and other independent growers you might find by looking on social media or asking your local contacts will have better product just as a rule of thumb. Are there exceptions? Of course, but your average basement grower is going to have much better product than your average dispensary, and an exceptional basement grower is probably going to have as good or better product than an exceptional dispensary.

Latest posts

Latest posts