What's new

where did god come from?

gizmo666

pmsl armageddon at the hands of felix controlling a hoover
it sounds like the ending to hitchhikers guide to the galaxy :laughing::laughing:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
gizmo666;n180674 but alas still no one has attempted to answer the question where did he come from? [/QUOTE said:
literally an unanswerable question, until/unless you meet God yourself. and why would God be a "he" ?

VenerableHippie

God was created by human thought, so before proto Christians he/she/it did not exist.

What I want to know is what was here before the big bang?

That seems funny in the context of the first post! (I mean, I 'm chuckling ...)

Seems to me as a serious question the first post is an indicator the poster could be starting to think for himself instead of swallowing whole Western society's malarkey. However, to speak in Aussie lingo: I think he's having a lend of us but.

I think the notion of 'god' is an expression of FEAR. Like, when all is going well we do not usually think of a 'god'. It's when we're almost wetting or pooping ourselves that we suffer brain freeze and the notion of 'god' POPS 😮 in. (During this popping in I wonder what image presents itself to the fearful brain as no one ... reportedly ... has actually seen 'god'?)

Something that impresses me re 'god' is the tremendous feat of Mahatma Ghandi who at the moment of his assassination and death murmured the word "Ram" which of course is a manifestation of god in the Hindu religion.

Hare Rama, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Rama.

I mean in his place I think I 'd be too busy shitting myself ...

Bye bye ...

Chi13

ICMag Donor
That seems funny in the context of the first post! (I mean, I 'm chuckling ...)

Seems to me as a serious question the first post is an indicator the poster could be starting to think for himself instead of swallowing whole Western society's malarkey. However, to speak in Aussie lingo: I think he's having a lend of us but.

I think the notion of 'god' is an expression of FEAR. Like, when all is going well we do not usually think of a 'god'. It's when we're almost wetting or pooping ourselves that we suffer brain freeze and the notion of 'god' POPS 😮 in. (During this popping in I wonder what image presents itself to the fearful brain as no one ... reportedly ... has actually seen 'god'?)

Something that impresses me re 'god' is the tremendous feat of Mahatma Ghandi who at the moment of his assassination and death murmured the word "Ram" which of course is a manifestation of god in the Hindu religion.

Hare Rama, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Rama.

I mean in his place I think I 'd be too busy shitting myself ...

Bye bye ...
Havin' a lend, no doubt.

I agree about god being an expression of fear in crisis or at death. Organised religion an expression of fear, power, and control Of course God is an old guy with a white beard who resides in the clouds, or maybe the blue guy who plays a flute and is sometimes seen in a chariot.

My Sweet Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4lpQWcT5g

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
God
Click image for larger version  Name:	57da0036f50493945f5e655d913b21bd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.0 KB ID:	18067519

Or just Jesus

Naturalgazda

Hi hi....... He comes from Goloka Vrindavan. It is a transcendental abode beyond the influence of the three modes of material nature. You have it all described in detail in the Bhagavad gita as it is. Or in the beautiful Srimad-Bhagavatam.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Nobody really knows for sure where God came from. The true God that is, what we humans know of as God came from the same place as all the God's worshiped over the course of mankind's history...the imagination of man in an attempt to explain the unknown.

The interesting thing though is some times in those imaginations their might be flashes of insight. For me the most relevant things describing God from the bible is the part where it talks about the void and god being formless until he utters the word. Also the part about him being all knowing, all seeing, all powerful and that he is the alpha and omega. The thing that best checks all those boxes and fits most neatly with our current understanding of reality is that God is the Universe and everything in it. This is how he is all knowing, all seeing and all powerful because he is everything and is everywhere and he is time since he's the beginning and the end, the alpha and omega. This also addresses things like our bodies are God's temple, we are made in his image, he hears our prayers and knows what is in our hearts because since we are part of everything God is in us and we are in him. Our best understanding of the universe is that it was created in the big bang and everything we now call the universe grew out of that. The theory that works best with what we've been able to observe is that at some point in time the universe will slow down, stop expanding and then begin collapsing on itself to eventually reform into a singularity and start the process all over again. The only theory we have that comes close to allowing this all to work out is String Theory. In string theory every particle in existence is actually a multidimensional vibrating string called a brane that are able to roam around freely thru space and time. There is however one special brane known as the S-brane that's different from all others in that it exists in only one place at one time. It's believed this S-brane appears at the point in time and space when the universe has condensed upon itself and reached the smallest densest configuration possible what we call the singularity and then the S-brane triggers a big bang and the process starts all over again. If this theory is correct then that S-brane would be what we call God and it would explain how God seemingly comes out of nowhere into the void and triggers creation ala the big bang. Another way to look at this would be God that's spread out all thru the universe existing in all things which is then condensed back into his purest self existing in one place and time as all the individual pieces of himself come back together when the singularity forms. If this theory is correct then the universe and existence goes thru a never ending process of expansion and contraction repeating itself over and over. Maybe this current iteration of the universe is the first time it's happened or maybe it's happened countless times before nobody knows because when it happens nobody and nothing is left from before to mark a previous existence other then God and he's not telling us if we figured it out correctly or not. It's just as I said though, it's this model this cosmology that best checks all the boxes of what we believe God to be. By the way when I explained all this and used a male pronoun it's because I am a male and it is most comfortable for me to use a male pronoun. You can just as easily explain it all the same way using a female pronoun if that makes you feel better somehow. It's my belief God is no gender, each gender and both genders all at once. I'm also not saying this is the reality of what God is it's just the best we've come up with so far that even has a chance of explaining everything and checking all the boxes of being all knowing, all powerful, everywhere all at once, all seeing, living within all of us and all things and being the beginning of time and the end of time aka the Alpha and the Omega.

gizmo666

Nobody really knows for sure where God came from. The true God that is, what we humans know of as God came from the same place as all the God's worshiped over the course of mankind's history...the imagination of man in an attempt to explain the unknown.

The interesting thing though is some times in those imaginations their might be flashes of insight. For me the most relevant things describing God from the bible is the part where it talks about the void and god being formless until he utters the word. Also the part about him being all knowing, all seeing, all powerful and that he is the alpha and omega. The thing that best checks all those boxes and fits most neatly with our current understanding of reality is that God is the Universe and everything in it. This is how he is all knowing, all seeing and all powerful because he is everything and is everywhere and he is time since he's the beginning and the end, the alpha and omega. This also addresses things like our bodies are God's temple, we are made in his image, he hears our prayers and knows what is in our hearts because since we are part of everything God is in us and we are in him. Our best understanding of the universe is that it was created in the big bang and everything we now call the universe grew out of that. The theory that works best with what we've been able to observe is that at some point in time the universe will slow down, stop expanding and then begin collapsing on itself to eventually reform into a singularity and start the process all over again. The only theory we have that comes close to allowing this all to work out is String Theory. In string theory every particle in existence is actually a multidimensional vibrating string called a brane that are able to roam around freely thru space and time. There is however one special brane known as the S-brane that's different from all others in that it exists in only one place at one time. It's believed this S-brane appears at the point in time and space when the universe has condensed upon itself and reached the smallest densest configuration possible what we call the singularity and then the S-brane triggers a big bang and the process starts all over again. If this theory is correct then that S-brane would be what we call God and it would explain how God seemingly comes out of nowhere into the void and triggers creation ala the big bang. Another way to look at this would be God that's spread out all thru the universe existing in all things which is then condensed back into his purest self existing in one place and time as all the individual pieces of himself come back together when the singularity forms. If this theory is correct then the universe and existence goes thru a never ending process of expansion and contraction repeating itself over and over. Maybe this current iteration of the universe is the first time it's happened or maybe it's happened countless times before nobody knows because when it happens nobody and nothing is left from before to mark a previous existence other then God and he's not telling us if we figured it out correctly or not. It's just as I said though, it's this model this cosmology that best checks all the boxes of what we believe God to be. By the way when I explained all this and used a male pronoun it's because I am a male and it is most comfortable for me to use a male pronoun. You can just as easily explain it all the same way using a female pronoun if that makes you feel better somehow. It's my belief God is no gender, each gender and both genders all at once. I'm also not saying this is the reality of what God is it's just the best we've come up with so far that even has a chance of explaining everything and checking all the boxes of being all knowing, all powerful, everywhere all at once, all seeing, living within all of us and all things and being the beginning of time and the end of time aka the Alpha and the Omega.

Excellent post hempkat
Interesting thoughts on god
A good way of looking at it
Thanks

gizmo666

Hi hi....... He comes from Goloka Vrindavan. It is a transcendental abode beyond the influence of the three modes of material nature. You have it all described in detail in the Bhagavad gita as it is. Or in the beautiful Srimad-Bhagavatam.

Nice to see another religions thoughts on it
Thankyou

Brother Nature

Not believing in the duality of a spiritual realm and our own, I believe god is our experience of existence. One creates the world around oneself with consciousness, or existence, once one ceases to exist, one returns to the collective unconscious and God ceases to exist. Perhaps God could be explained as shared understanding stemming from the collective unconscious.

gizmo666

Not believing in the duality of a spiritual realm and our own, I believe god is our experience of existence. One creates the world around oneself with consciousness, or existence, once one ceases to exist, one returns to the collective unconscious and God ceases to exist. Perhaps God could be explained as shared understanding stemming from the collective unconscious.

That sounds more like the borg lol

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I like to think this universe came into existence when something went through a black hole and appeared here in our reality as the big bang. However, there's so much energy in the big bang that it doesn't pan out - it wasn't just a single atom or person or alien because there's so much matter out there in the universe. The big bang already contained all of that matter you see in the sky and telescope pictures of nebula and stuff. It just exploded and released everything. Not sure what the big bang was .14 billion years ago bang a chain reaction and oxygen and nitrogen and shit is created and sent out or ejected everywhere

VenerableHippie

the part where it talks about the void and god being formless until he utters the word.

WHOM utters the Word?

The thing is ... all is formless and silent until one Thinks. Thinking requires language. To have language one must have been taught. if god is a singularity who taught God the language he spoke in?

Then the problem is: What did a singular god bother to speak for if there was no one else to speak to?

And round and round and round it goes.

Just like the News.

moose eater

The man-made God(s), or the possible Supreme Diety/ies, whether they be electrical field(s), AI, gaseous, omniscient, omnipotent Being of some sort, or ... whatever?

Is it possible there's some sort of force in the Galaxy? Who knows? Not me.

But the human-created God(s), I believe, as others have stated, are the result of unanswerable questions and the angst that comes from not knowing.

I think it's kind of convenient that the many faiths' scriptures or books of wisdom often tend to give total control over to humankind; 'stewards of the planet', given all the bounty of the Earth to do as they see fit, made in God's image, etc., etc.

Unless God's an idiot, self-serving narcissist, with a streak of sociopathy, I seriously doubt we were made in Their image. But all that self-aggrandizing thinking is pretty cool if someone wanted to grant themselves the proverbial key to the city.

So, if there's a real God, whether gas, electrical field, or whatever, I suspect that we'll never know where They came from, of even be able to prove unequivocally that they're there.

If it's the man-made gods, I think they came from opportunism, anxiety, fear, and other often-less-than-admirable traits.

While I have been known to say a prayer or 4 at altitude, rocking bad turbulence over mountain thermals and wind sheers, especially in smaller aircraft, or looking into the rear-view and seeing unfriendlies with stash in the vehicle, I am indeed an Agnostic. I think that pretending to know what we don't actually know is an afront to science and truth, though experiential 'knowing' and fact-based 'knowing are sometimes 2 different levels of 'knowledge'.

Last edited: