What's new

When Is a Strain "Yours"?

G

Gauss

Maybe this thread should actually be titled - "Why does a marijuana strain have to be considered yours?" - Because when we cut back all the bullshit and get to the real issue here... It's just peoples gigantic egos trying to justify the time and effort they put into something. And the real deeper meaning beyond that is, everyone just wants to be liked and respected for something in this world.

We've all been gifted this plant. Everyone. We work with it, but we never own it. We are caretakers and the plants are sentinels to those who pay closer attention to the energy they emit. So my view is that y'all need to get your egos in check and ask yourself why you feel like you need to own a plant or the whole gene pool of a plant? What's really going on there? No one is out claiming the gene pool of dandelions... So why weed? Cause it gets you high? Lot's of tuff questions people aren't asking. :tiphat:

This is about considering the perspective of everyone from the pollen chucker to the 20k plant run professional breeder, and what they want. This is not about how to call everyone who works in the field as a living nature thieves for sharing or not sharing their cultivations. Sure, nature is discovered it is not invented, but this does not mean the pioneers and hobbyists have no magnanimous desire for recognition and support— be it through reputation or financial means. Nature being a gift is a noble notion, and I appreciate it, but when you take mother nature out of the equation and begin to become a true keeper of the genetics then you have pioneered something by your own merit in any case.

In reality, matters of the human condition are not especially relevant here. This is not a philosophical thread. These are real questions of market and personal ethics, throwing the entire debate away in a resolution to disregard the notions and impulses of others who wish to contribute to cannabis as a whole is, frankly, inconsiderate. This is about cannabis as a whole, and at what point does someone— anyone— feel ethically inclined to be accredited for contributing to such and to what end.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
When they achieve something, and to get rich are the short answers.

Why did people invent the lottery? Why do people play it or go to Vegas? If it is human beings getting involved with anything, then it will be done in a human way. We don't just work to ends, we need an incentive. We don't want the rewards shared out equally, where's the incentive to do more than the bare minimum? We want winners and losers because we dream of being the lucky one, or at least ahead of the majority. It seems go be what drives everything that' gets driven hard.
Then of course you have to add ego into the mix.

Sport Farmer

Veteran
This is about considering the perspective of everyone from the pollen chucker to the 20k plant run professional breeder, and what they want. This is not about how to call everyone who works in the field as a living nature thieves for sharing or not sharing their cultivations. Sure, nature is discovered it is not invented, but this does not mean the pioneers and hobbyists have no magnanimous desire for recognition and support— be it through reputation or financial means. Nature being a gift is a noble notion, and I appreciate it, but when you take mother nature out of the equation and begin to become a true keeper of the genetics then you have pioneered something by your own merit in any case.

In reality, matters of the human condition are not especially relevant here. This is not a philosophical thread. These are real questions of market and personal ethics, throwing the entire debate away in a resolution to disregard the notions and impulses of others who wish to contribute to cannabis as a whole is, frankly, inconsiderate. This is about cannabis as a whole, and at what point does someone— anyone— feel ethically inclined to be accredited for contributing to such and to what end.

On a public forum you don't really get to decide how the conversation flows and what other perspectives may arise that differ from your own, so my viewpoint is absolutely relevant to the discussion. I can tell you're the type of guy who likes to use his intellectual abilities to strong arm people into your own beliefs, but I can tell you right now.. That type of maneuvering doesn't work on me, my man.. So good luck with the rest of your discussion, if that's what you want to call it in your mind. :thank you:

G

Gauss

On a public forum you don't really get to decide how the conversation flows and what other perspectives may arise that differ from your own, so my viewpoint is absolutely relevant to the discussion. I can tell you're the type of guy who likes to use his intellectual abilities to strong arm people into your own beliefs, but I can tell you right now.. That type of maneuvering doesn't work on me, my man.. So good luck with the rest of your discussion, if that's what you want to call it in your mind. :thank you:

By all means stay if you intend to stay on topic and not dredge this thread into the territory of human condition philosophy. But hear this, I once knew a guy who would make fun of me for being smart. He nuked his chest cavity by lighting a cigarette with lungs full of Freon claiming it was going to be safe due to the fact that Freon is "non-flammable". Turns out it does turn into nerve gas when exposed to an open flame, and takes quite well to conflagration after confined at that point. Forgive me for not being wounded by your condescension and instead show indifference to your healthy departure should you so choose. In any case, enough dawdling.

G

Gauss

When they achieve something, and to get rich are the short answers.

Why did people invent the lottery? Why do people play it or go to Vegas? If it is human beings getting involved with anything, then it will be done in a human way. We don't just work to ends, we need an incentive. We don't want the rewards shared out equally, where's the incentive to do more than the bare minimum? We want winners and losers because we dream of being the lucky one, or at least ahead of the majority. It seems go be what drives everything that' gets driven hard.
Then of course you have to add ego into the mix.

That's certainly true, but that's not especially what I care about. We could go on for 30 pages about how man's desire to subdue the unknown in the search for certainty and how his ego of seeking validation of himself in the eyes of his species are the primary methods of human evolution as a whole. We're talking about cannabis breeding, I simply don't see the merit in undermining people's opinions with tertiary considerations and motivations. Not that I have an aversion to the notion it may be relevant to some, I simply don't find it healthy to potentially persecute those who submit their opinions on the matter actually at hand with oblique slighting statements marinaded in post-modern philosophy.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
That's certainly true, but that's not especially what I care about. We could go on for 30 pages about how man's desire to subdue the unknown in the search for certainty and how his ego of seeking validation of himself in the eyes of his species are the primary methods of human evolution as a whole. We're talking about cannabis breeding, I simply don't see the merit in undermining people's opinions with tertiary considerations and motivations. Not that I have an aversion to the notion it may be relevant to some, I simply don't find it healthy to potentially persecute those who submit their opinions on the matter actually at hand with oblique slighting statements marinaded in post-modern philosophy.

How can you subdue the unknown if its unknown haha and I don't think anyone was making a link between ego and human evolution.

However do agree that ones opinion is as valuable as the next. You could have just said that.. Whats the point of using lots of long words and sentences if you cant actually make a point?

kalopatchkid

Veteran
legally, nothing is "yours" until its patented and you have legal protection over it.

Otherwise, your "ownership" is reliant on the integrity of the persons that have obtained that strain to acknowledge you as the person responsible for creating it.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Gaus
OK, let's go back to ancient philosophy, Plato. Consider the placement of " peoples opinions" on his ladder of knowledge. Its hard to undermine that which lies as the lowest of the low.
Then give a moments consideration to the distain you are showing towards those who have offered theirs while condemning those who have at least offered an argument rather than merely adopting an egocentric self appointed position as conductor of conversations.

G

Gauss

I'd call it a thorough attempt to keep this thread on the rails. I find as much egotism in elegance as I do in elaboration, in fact, more so. Sorry if I have to take the long way around to be more gentle. I am not socially talented.

GMT, let us not consider Plato if you please. Let's consider the relevant and constructive things like the kind you have already contributed, I am sure you have more in that suit to further contribute. Please do.

Last edited:

White Beard

In the interest of this NOT going off the rails, I want to observe that you are not discouraging side conversations...in just this page you’ve said things I believe worthy of discussion, and in telling us not to talk about it you say other things that bear talking about.

Seems almost too much success at sparking interest in your thread...maybe you should load up another with some of these side-chain ideas?

Brother Nature

I'd call it a thorough attempt to keep this thread on the rails. I find as much egotism in elegance as I do in elaboration, in fact, more so. Sorry if I have to take the long way around to be more gentle. I am not socially talented.

GMT, let us not consider Plato if you please. Let's consider the relevant and constructive things like the kind you have already contributed, I am sure you have more in that suit to further contribute. Please do.

I was only throwing a little shade, appreciate that you can take it. :) I actually think this is a very cool thread, but trying to keep a bunch of stoners from digressing in an open forum is like trying to wrangle cats. I say just go with the ebb and flow...

My own opinion is that until cannabis is a legal and you can get PBR for your varieties, then nothing is really 'owned' by anyone. In saying that, if a person has put a lot of work into breeding a specific variety that appeals to me, then I use that in a cross, I'd give homage to that original breeder if I knew who it was. Not only because it's respectful, but if it's a sought after strain, that's good marketing.

G

Gauss

If someone thinks it's relevant to their perspective or opinion on the matter then it's totally fair game. I just don't want insults and arbitrary crossfire going down on the perspective and opinions of others, or to have the entire conversation thrown out as a baseless and egotistical consideration.

I'd like to see Karma or Dubi pipe in, but I imagine they are understandably busy or unconcerned. At any rate we won't be graced with the insight we might otherwise get if things get messy or too personal.

CaptainDankness

Maybe this thread should actually be titled - "Why does a marijuana strain have to be considered yours?" - Because when we cut back all the bullshit and get to the real issue here... It's just peoples gigantic egos trying to justify the time and effort they put into something. And the real deeper meaning beyond that is, everyone just wants to be liked and respected for something in this world.

We've all been gifted this plant. Everyone. We work with it, but we never own it. We are caretakers and the plants are sentinels to those who pay closer attention to the energy they emit. So my view is that y'all need to get your egos in check and ask yourself why you feel like you need to own a plant or the whole gene pool of a plant? What's really going on there? No one is out claiming the gene pool of dandelions... So why weed? Cause it gets you high? Lot's of tuff questions people aren't asking. :tiphat:
Clearly it's all about the money for most breeders. Nirvana never really charged outrageous prices and they are still in the game.

Really nobody is going to buy hacks of your work if you charge Nirvana prices and people will be more likely to buy them. I've spent far too much money on packs of seeds just to not find anything too special, like I probably could have done better with Nirvana.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was only throwing a little shade, appreciate that you can take it. :) I actually think this is a very cool thread, but trying to keep a bunch of stoners from digressing in an open forum is like trying to wrangle cats. I say just go with the ebb and flow...

My own opinion is that until cannabis is a legal and you can get PBR for your varieties, then nothing is really 'owned' by anyone. In saying that, if a person has put a lot of work into breeding a specific variety that appeals to me, then I use that in a cross, I'd give homage to that original breeder if I knew who it was. Not only because it's respectful, but if it's a sought after strain, that's good marketing.

I agree with this. Give credit where credit is due. Even if the guy turns out to be a real shitbag in real life.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
IMO, when you take a male and a female and make seeds, or reverse either plant to make seeds. That's your creation. Keep it for yourself and never share, it's still "yours". Now give out/sell cuts, give out/sell seeds, then it becomes "everyone's who has it" . To sell seeds for profit and expect to be able to dictate what happens with said seeds, that shit is for the birds.

Another point I'd like to address, is "breeders" dictating what that term means. I can't even begin to count the "bigger names" in the seed game saying people aren't really "breeding". Because of low plant count, single pairings, things along those lines. Which I think is horse shit. ANYONE who makes seeds is breeding. Agriculture couldn't have got to where it is today without regular people like us wanting to make their own seed.

Rico Swazi

Good thread Gauss

Question for you all,

What would be the proper 'name' for some plant that just showed up.
genetics unknown , a volunteer if you will

I don't want to own it or make money with it, it came to me freely and freely it goes to another grower friend.
He wants to know what to call it. I said volly for now until some of the people in the know can say what they have done in similar situations

Unknown genetic on both sides, whats in a name?

Latest posts

Latest posts