What's new

What's your favorite band?

I like just about everything, except dark gothic metal slash wrist and trance wich i think its too trippy for me
I like both urban and traditional music styles, from hip hop techno and drumnbass to arabic percurssion with flamengo guitars or miles blowing the trumpet

My favourite mcs are Immortal technique, Masta Ace, Rugged Man, and just quite everything that is isn't the same old ShitTv broadcasted pile, no coke-bling-hoes-hummer shit, that's garbage to the brain, molding your world view, making you wanna look/be/live like those vacuum filled heads on the video - money can't buy you brains.

My favourite bands are Looptroop, Dead Prez, RATM, System of a down and just about everything with a political/reality conotation.
On the d&b i thrill with Noisia and a drum and bass 'played' project called 'nerve' wich is completely awesome :chin: it's playedddd
My favourite techno djs are the two slovenians Umek and Valentino Kanzyani, north american Technasia and belgian Marco Bailey, i like Rush too but that's a bit heavy..

I'm a devote fan of Paco de Lucia, Miles Davis, Jonh Maclaughlin, John Macloud, Hossam Ramzy and everything with arabic percurssion instruments darabuka and tabula, pretty much all etnic music from african roots to Kusturica's speedy gipsie themes, Ezma Redzepova, and jazzzz being Miles and Herbie Hancock my favourite

I like music - sorry i couldn't answer the thread's point, i guess i don't have a favourite band - the thing i listen the most is immortal tech if that solves it.. hehe
Even yesterday before going to bed at 7.20 am i left my computer playing the 'Piano' soundtrack from Michael Neyman, i like it although it's kinda down..
for the rest :sleep:

J

James-Bong

Chilli peppers,Incubus,311,Minus the Bear,Green Day.....

Last edited:

D0nC0smic

of people still alive and playing, bob dylan, willie nelson, neil young, fleetwood mac, and of the 5 or six bands that les claypool has started, mary prankster, and hell even Jimmy Buffet, (he's like the dead for old people)

dfa thanks for the link to Mogwai. I live in the sticks and don't get much exposure to new stuff. The music reminds me of something I heard back in the early 80's but it was way to many bowls ago to remember who, they have this slight pinkfloyd flavor. Definately some good tunes, I really liked Hunted by a freak.

Space Toker

Veteran
yeah absolutely, System of a Down is way cool! I have to check into those bands you guys mentioned, sounds cool!

D

dankbudz

i just dont see how any band could do for music what the grateful dead did....i mean just think about it........

pollyanna405

something's missing...

something's missing...

A lot of good music mentioned in here, no doubt about that, but what about:

Brian Eno (especially Eno: he's one of the most interesting, talented musicians/producers around, and he's worth studying), the Pretenders, Patti Smith, Television, Joy Division, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Hank Williams ("country" music: it's a rich vein to mine), Emmylou Harris, Allman Brothers...

Rhino Records has a CD box set called something like "Music that Matters from the Decade that didn't", which collects representative music from one of the most fecund periods in rock history, the 80s. Yes, the 80s. Not the stuff you'd have heard on commercial radio, but the stuff you'd have heard on college radio. Bands like XTC, early Talking Heads, the B-52s. Musically speaking, there was a helluva lot of very interesting stuff going on then.

A lot of what's going on now and what has been going on in the indie scene can be traced directly to that era.

There are some interesting things going on now too, of course: Iron and Silk. Belle and Sebastian. Joseph Arthur. Beck. It's harder to keep up these days with the proliferation of new stuff everywhere, but I'm very encouraged when I can take a moment to listen to our local station which plays a great mixture of bands and styles, from roots music to yes, country, to swing, to alt rock. It's great.

If you want to give your ears a nice tweak, refresh them from too much of the same, check out the Current:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/the_current/

enjoy!

twilson

Jazz Messengers

Coltranes group when he had Tyner on piano and Jones on Drums.

Captain Beefhearts first Magic Band with Harkelroad on guitar.

Space Toker

Veteran
Damn, I have some serious catching up to do! :D
Well, I have to say I favor heavy-hitting or hardcore stuff or whatever you call it, like System of a Down for instance is my favorite band but it is all relative, even some of their stuff I can't stand, but overall I have to say 99% of it kicks ass! But although I lean towards that brand of "alternative" or whatever it's called now, I have varied interests. Some songs just crack me up, I know they're bad and I still love them for amusement value along, like that song "Don't bring me down, BRUUUCE!" HAHAHA
But like I said I have little familiarity with some of the bands suggested, and I don't see the appeal of Hall and Oates personally but like someone said, to each their own!
Unless it is for amusement value, that Chevy to the Levy song for instance, is that theirs? Anyway, lots of great input and I value it all.... Moe was one band listed, also many others I am unfamiliar with.... any links to get better acquainted with them?
OK THANKS
PEACE

Space Toker

Veteran
"and hell even Jimmy Buffet, (he's like the dead for old people)"

Damn, I guess that makes me old, I am 36 but now I feel 96! When I was in college I hung out with a group of drunks half the time and a group of smokers the other half, and the drunks loved Jimmy Buffet! Seriously, I had to devote some time to studying so I wouldn't fail out, so they went without me to bars or dorm parties all days of the week.... and I just scraped by with like a B- average, just under 3.0 I guess, and some of them got better and they were constantly drunk, I don't know how they did it! One tiny Oriental guy could drink incredible amounts and had like a 3.94 average! Some played sports or stickball or other invented or real sports, how they could do all that and still pass I'll never know! And as it was I was pretty proud of my average considering I studied for tests or did papers like an hour before and did as well as I did!
But I digress.... please link me up with what is cool today so I don't feel so old, and I will continue to enjoy all the new heavy-hitting stuff alongside the old classics like Zeppelin and the Stones, and Pink Phloyd, and so on... PEACE

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Rush
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
Lynard Skynard
Rolling Stones
Steve Miller Band

Last edited:

Space Toker

Veteran
yes those are some cool bands Closer Funk!
well I have to check back in later when I have more time, to discuss all those non-familiar bands and where to hear their music.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
....The Clash....

.....MC5

....Iggy Pop and the Stooges.....

.....Flamin Groovies....

....Tom Waits

......Small Faces....