What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's going wrong? 4th run in a row is scr*wed :(

FranJan

@smirnoff420
Hey bro, fellow sufferer. Some food for thought:

Having the same issues you are for the past 10 months. I have grown 2 good smallish plants but have butchered all the rest. Same colors, same issues.

Sulfur is most likely the issue here, gets that nitrogen starved look because feeding doesn't help it since the plant is unable to use nitrogen properly because of the sulfur deficiency/lockout. I think it's something with modern LED panels. They bring out the nitrogen whores that our plants are and this nitrogen uptake is using the sulfur in the mix quickly till the plant can't get nitrogen from the roots and just gets it from the leaves, (along with sulfur), instead, hence the yellowing and poor growth. Adding sulfur, or something with sulfide, helps but in mid flower and later it doesn't do more than slow the process down. At least that's what I'm seeing. And if it is a sulfur lockout feeding it sulfur and nitrogen is pointless.

There are some cheap soil analyzer companies nowadays. Not a bad idea really. Raising your lights isn't a bad idea cause it slows the process down a bit but is not ideal either. Re-Charge can stop the issue momentarily but you can't use Re-Charge all the time. BTW proper ph-ing during veg solved my red/purple stem issues so definitely get a decent pen. Things like that have helped me put off or temporarily stop the issues you're experiencing in flower but I haven't solved this issue since IMO it's about my mix, (FoxFarms OF x 2 and HF x 1). I'm definitely changing my mix around abit. Adding compost, more worm shit. And I'm adding a little Espoma soil acidifier, but not much. I don't want to mess with my PH too much.
1680132575881.png

Anyway I hope what I posted here helps. Good Luck and keep ya head up cause it ain't just you.

smirnoff420

Ok thanks, light is turned down now and I will give them more nutes next time.

Edit: @FranJan thanks I will look into that.

So maybe things started getting better when I added epsom salt not because of the magnesium in it but because of the sulfur?

Interesting, I will definitely do more reading in that regard.

exoticrobotic

That large one looks almost done, maybe a few weeks off but it's nicely grown.

You're in for a treat with it. It looks identical to the sh i ran years ago.

What does it smell like?

smirnoff420

They smell good, not sure how to describe the smell, it reminds me of menthol.

It's on day 42 now. Last time I chopped that strain around day 65. It barely made it, even the small sugar leaves were completely yellow and almost all other leaves gone. But still the weed was good, just not too much.

smirnoff420

No, the large container is years old and I've had successful grows with that container. The smaller ones are made from Polypropylene, food safe plastic.

smirnoff420

I think they got better in general.

Have increased epsom salt dosage to 1g/L last watering after reading up on that Maximumyield site FranJan linked. In the meantime gypsum has arrived, will give them some next time. Not sure though how much, since that Maximumyield site says too much calcium in late flower is not good.

The stems have become really hard or brittle or non-flexible (not sure how to describe it, is that because of the calcium or magnesium?

The smaller ones are in flower week three now:

16807042817810.jpg 16807042818411.jpg

The middle one seems to be behind compared to the others:
16807042818822.jpg

Other cabinet also in flower week 3:

16807042941773.jpg 16807042942414.jpg

The large one is in flower week seven now and there are lots of seeds suddenly, crap :( I had one male in there but I was pretty sure I seperated it soon enough. So not sure if hermie or if some pollen sac opened very early.
16807042943585.jpg 16807043051746.jpg

smirnoff420

Flower day 72, up till now I thought plants cannot live without leaves, but apparently they can :)
Will chop it now.

16826990780792.jpg

Flower day 44:
16826990779860.jpg

The one in the middle behind the post:
16826990780421.jpg

Other cabinet, also flower day 44:
16826990884574.jpg
16826990884063.jpg

Have been giving them 2ml/L BB Grow, 4ml/L BB Bloom, 1ml/L BB Calmag, 1g/L gypsum, 1g/L epsom salt on every watering. But still, the yellowing and leaf loss progressed :(

St. Phatty

You do know how to grow weed.

The problem is your faith in LED's.

Switch to HID and see what happens. Preferably Metal Halide.

smirnoff420

I think thats not going to work in such small cabinets. Also, electricity is expensive where I live, doubling the needed power is not really an option. If I were living somewhere with cheap electricity I'd definetely try that though.

Now is flower day 54.
The four from the one cabinet moved to the other cabinet where the large one that got chopped was in:

16835322772244.jpg 16835322681902.jpg

The other three:
16835322680780.jpg

New ones. These got 50g/10L rock dust, 25g/10L epsom salt and 30g/10L Compo 5-4-6 Bio Fertilizer mixed into the Allmix soil. Also watered them with 1g/L gypsum, 1ml/L BB Calmag, 1g/L epsom salt every time. Yet that interveinal yellowing is showing up again. This time even earlier than before. Crap :( So far no purple stems yet though and they seem to grow fine still.

Most of them will go outside soon. There, nature will fix it (I know because it was the same last year). But not sure what to do with those that will stay inside :(
16835322771973.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.Dutch

Have been giving them 2ml/L BB Grow, 4ml/L BB Bloom, 1ml/L BB Calmag, 1g/L gypsum, 1g/L epsom salt on every watering. But still, the yellowing and leaf loss progressed :(
And here we go again with the BB problems. Throw the fertilizer away and get a complete fertilizer that also contains micros.
With the mix, it's no wonder they look like this. Massive P overfertilization with micros completely absent.
bbsucks.jpg

smirnoff420

Since they were yellowing fast during flower last time, I mixed 3g/L of Compo Bio Sheep NPK 5-4-6 into the soil. Together with BB Grow that turned out to be too much, plants got so dark green they almost turned a little blue-ish. Stopped giving them nutes since last week now, I think they're okay now again.

Also started adjusting ph of the water to around 6 because I had the suspicion that with the smaller ~1gallon pots the buffering capacity got used up after a while. Not sure if it helps, atleast it does not seem to worsen things.

But the magnesium issues seems to be solved, they look good to me (just too much N).

16871879579580.jpg 16871879580511.jpg
16871879581112.jpg 16871879669153.jpg 16871879669564.jpg 16871879670255.jpg