What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What strain for a guerilla grow in a cornfield?

G

Gunnarguchi, just remember that most corn is sprayed with weedkiller. Check end of may beginning of june, & you will see when the little weeds between rows turn brown & die. The spray used is contact & residual (stops more weeds from coming through) It is important when planting, to scrape the topsoil off, 40mm, 1 meter round where yu plant, so the roots of mj dont come into contact with this. Throw to one side. Usually well fertlised but will need more nutes later on in the season.
Yes MJ will grow huge in corn.
Mexican Sativa, sensi seeds. sept 06 1 plant.

Jamaican Pearl, sensi seeds. sept 06

Rox ah! paradise seeds sept 06.

BTW, you probably have better strains up there than we do. ;) apart from the rox we wont be growing these next year. Good luck.

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
i think removing 7-10 corn plants and put 7-10 canna plants wouldnt harm anyones karma, hehe. just dont harm the other cornplant when working in the field. and remember bullet proff jacket.

damn, that rox really shows its erdbeer genetic backround!

Last edited:

phrank

yo farmaz2

yo farmaz2

Thanks for the eye candy! You ought to give Mr. Nice Early Queen and Early Skunk a try, as I'm pretty sure you'd be pleased. Let me know how the Mexican Sativa and Rox turn out.

phrank

G

cornfield grows

cornfield grows

Hello All,
I am enjoying this thread.Love the pics Farmaz.I grew the Jamaican Pearl two yrs ago and thought it was weak too.I am growing Rox this yr.She looks very similar to yours.Look like they have kush in their genetics.
How bout Biddy Early or mendecino madness? Also apollo11 will finish before the corn is chopped.I am an eigth generation dairy farmer so I'm sure about the finishing times.Also sensi star and diamond head finish in time.Both are great..Diamond head can be susceptible to mold when condensation gets real heavy.They'll finish mid Oct.Actually SS can finish sooner than that.
We grow enough corn to feed 300 head..I think its @ 500 acres....plus hay.My advice if your going to plant in a farmers field, watch closely the first fall to see which fields are chopped last.We chop in the same order every yr.Usually the last field planted will be the last field chopped..This can possibly buy you an extra wk or two...Good luck...
P.S. Like others said very little corn needs to be sacrificed.I usually put mine in when corn is thigh high. Second week in July.Yes they are plenty BIG

Hindu Killer

Veteran
Nice pics there F2! Ive grown alot of Sensi's lines in the late 80's early 90's. And would have to say from my experience Sk#1 and Sk#1xNL#5 were the best yielders. However they are going to be into Oct 3rd to 4th week for sure....possibly later. But these will be huge plants......I had dried tops of Sk#1xNL#5 as big as my forarm..no shit. They were huge. Sweet tasteing smoke like candy. Im more into the acrid expansive ghani's myself.

G

Thanks for the reply Elkslayer, yes I think you are right, the only reason I grew it this year was because it is early & I had seeds left from last year, smells strange, looks like it is covered in oil, but more like vegetable oil shiny on the fingers but not sticky. I suspect ruderalis/russula in a lot of dutch earlies, cash croppers but not keepers & thats not wot I'm after.
Phrank, these were last years pics, the mexican sativas were the last ones pulled, 1st Nov, & could still have done with more. Very tasty but loose buds not that strong, lat 53. very heavy yield, with a 3 more weeks we might have hit the jackpot!
Rox is a strange one, I like it because it is so beautiful, also you can trim a plant in under 10 mins. It keeps very low, but yields are very low too. I like the smoke because it reminds me of good proper Morrocan Hash from the seventies, smells like it too. Makes my mouth water, my eyes go red and I laugh. I dont need this weapons grade industrial strength stuff anymore, I'm getting too old. The trick with growing this is maybe to pull earlier rather than later, I dont think the buds will carry on swelling after flowering like they usually do in other strains. This is probably due to the erdbeer genes,(thanks Esbe) they stay tight. Resin production starts very early also, even the larger leaves are coated. Most were pulled mid Oct, I left 1 till Nov 1st.
Budluver, I am trying the mendocino madness this year, looks very sativa, & might not finish in time. A few hermies, & appaling germination, seems to want to grow tall. Thats all I know so far. Biddy early still undecided, the best smelling weed I ever grew, some people like this alot, but its not enjoying the weather here, so once again I cant give it a fair trial. Was pulled the same time as the early pearl, so is a genuine early, could have had 2 more weeks.
Thats really all I can tell, the search for good early strains goes on. If anyone has a good line going, be wary of russula/ruderalis, you could ruin your stuff in 3 years time.

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
you are so rite on your rox(erdbeer) considerations! unfortunally the pure erdbeer is to late for danish climate and lat. would love to see the erdbeer x purpurea ticinensis in that corn field, it would show its full potential at you, like it do at dubis.

B

baccas125

Another note about corn most field corn grows in a 120 day cycle. Sweet corn is much shorter. I would look for field corn planted later than most. This corn will stay greener longer into fall and better hide your crop.

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
stopped by a Cornfield last week and measured the plants.
At this time of year Danish Corn is about 160-180 cm high.
normally farmers plant corn for cattle feed and its harvested later than sweetcorn that is more rare here for some reason.
Harvest is anywhere in October month depending on the weather, so any strain or cross that is finished before that and is able to compete with the corn in growth can be used.

Last edited:

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
bounty29 said:
Well I know what I'm doing next year :D
Me to for sure!
Already looking forward to be able to pix some Corny Canna myself ;)

For those who posted pix of canna in cornfields and for others who have them laying around, please keep those green on green Corny Canna pix coming
:rasta:

Hindu Killer

Veteran
Children of the corn......

Children of the corn......

Deep Chunk

Esbe's B3N7xErdPurT

Sensi Star

Pine Tar Kush

Group shot of B3N7's

A early group shot of Deep Chunks

Corn fields rock..........just as good as anywhere else to grow a plant. And the soil is already prepaired.

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tnx HK and others for the pix.

Farmaz Very good info regarding how to avoid weed killers
Ill definatly be using this info in my grow in corn next year.

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was thinking some crosses im gonna make this winter would be good for cornfields and both potent and mold resistant.
Deep Dane and Deep Leb that is DCxRD (Deep Chunk x Royal Dane) and DCxLeb27 ( Deep Chunk x Lebanon 27)

Royal Dane and Leb27 is 2 danish landraces which are mold resistant.
RD is considered very early and Leb27 is also early for a sativa dominated hybrid.

RD is known for earliness and mold resistance and Leb 27 for mold resistance and good yield.

but eventhough i have them ready for next year the harvest time for the hybrid is unknown, so im gonna test them in cornfields but in smaller numbers so i dont loose too much if they arent finished here before the corn is harvested.

If they prove to be early enough ill make sure the following year that they are blooming in many of the cornfields in my area and made available for others to try also.

blackone

Veteran
I just saw the first harvested corn field here in Denmark 2 days ago. So any strain put in corn here should definitely be harvested in September.

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
blackone said:
I just saw the first harvested corn field here in Denmark 2 days ago. So any strain put in corn here should definitely be harvested in September.

Tnx for the info
The corn field i pass each day for work is still nor harvested, but ill check up on the other ones in my area.

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The cornfield i pass each day for work is harvested now.
Drove around and checked the 3 main areas nearby me to check them also
All harvested.
I think strains must be harvested here at the latest 1. of Oktober to be safe.
Strains and Crosses used in Cornfields here must therefore be fully mature before that.
Royal Danes and Danish Passion would be sure strains for the job, but im also exploring other strains and crosses for the job next year.

Your more than welcome to post ideas for stains and crosses that could meet the task of being both potent, great hash makers and able to withstand weather and be early enough for cornfields.

Growers here talk about a croos between an Afghan and ErdPurt is beibng one of the most potent outdoor mj they ever smokes.
A grower reported of an harvest date in the beginning of Oktober, which means its chritical for a cornfield grow, but crossing it with the early Danish landsrace, Royal Dane, might givet et the needed earliness.
I should be getting some AfPurt beans very soon so its an option im gonna explore.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts