What's new

What Plants Hide MJ Best?

simos

I'd just like to remind everyone that CASTOR BEAN PLANTS ARE VERY TOXIC, both to animals and people. Castor oil can be easily synthesized into RICIN - a chemical/biological warfare agent you've probably heard mentioned by media fear-mongers. It's no anthrax, but these plants are not to be used without at least a modicum of caution - make sure your kids/pets don't get ahold of the seeds.

Then again, many, many garden plants are poisonous, and castor bean plants have a number of positive attributes worth considering. In particular, they grow very vigorously (think 12-15' by the end of the summer with minimal care), have exotic-looking foliage, and have the ability to drive many pests out of the garden (can't say I'm familiar with the mechanism by which this is achieved, but it's been proven anecdotally).

My preferred disguise plants to run interference between my ladies and my neighbors' prying eyes are leafy small/medium height bamboos, but they don't exactly come cheap...

Cheers!

I don't understand why you would want to use plants that look like the ones you are trying to conceal? If someone see's a plant that resemble mj they would most likely go check it out.

I Personally just try to make my area look natural, i put ferns in the area and i just bought some black eyed susans, hollyhock and some columbine which actually is deer resistant. Also the Hollyhock and the columbine get to be about 4 ft tall

anikas88

I don't understand why you would want to use plants that look like the ones you are trying to conceal? If someone see's a plant that resemble mj they would most likely go check it out.

I Personally just try to make my area look natural, i put ferns in the area and i just bought some black eyed susans, hollyhock and some columbine which actually is deer resistant. Also the Hollyhock and the columbine get to be about 4 ft tall

well in some places plants that look like cannabis are common plants/weeds in that area so if you saw a patch of those plants/weeds you would assume it was just the that and not cannabis

yea thats true, but i dont see how planting plants that look like pot would deter someone who isnt knowledgeable of those plants to not come and scope it out. i think the whole idea is to make it look like a marijuana plant is nowhere around but to just make it look like the woods.

but once again, i can see the idea of it. when i was a young'in i saw some plants that looked like weed and i was like holy shit! obv it wasnt :/

G

greenmatter

i was going to try to hide a chronic plant in my northern lights patch .......... think it will work?

ijim

It depends where you live and when your plants finish. In the central and northern US most plants will turn brown or shed their leaves while a cannabis plant that finishes in late September or October is still green. And sticks out like a sore thumb. That is why I make use of evergreens whenever possible.

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
Jerusalem Artickokes
They show the same IR spectrum as cannabis on FLIR detection systems and are, as such, ignored
they are perennial and an invasive species to most parts of the world
Have a deep dark green to them that matches our plant to a tee
The tubers provide the highest/efficiency ratio of ethanol production for a living plant,8 times more efficient than corm.
You can't go wrong with Jerusalem Artichoke

GAME

I like to plant amongst buckthorn. It stays green later into the season than many other plants around here and people avoid buckthorn pretty seriously.

ElPiloto

I have grown outdoors and the best plants I have found to hide pot plants are plants that have the same shade of green as the marijuana

I usually make a flower garden with bamboo in the back and giant multicolored Zinnias in front planted in a patch (not in rows) with the pot plants mixed in. The Zinnias and bamboo and marijuana all blend together. If the front I plant Marigolds to help repel the bugs.

The flowers help draw the eye away from the foliage of the marijuana.

I agree that you should never try to hide marijuana by planting it among plants with similarly shaped leaves.

I have had friends that grow come to my house and admire the flowers but not see the pot plants from 8 to 10 feet away.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Razzledazzle....too much for the eye to take in:
picture.php

Shape shifter; a shape reminiscent of nettles:
picture.php

superbolan

Its a matter of smoke and mirrors, If your going to use this method in the backyard you also plant some of the decoy plants in the front yard where they can be inspected easily with no real snooping. Its the old bait and switch. Lots of decoys interplanted with the real deal

soil margin

Veteran
Really great thread. I like all the stealth ideas presented here.

I'm interested if anyone has more info on their experience with the security plants though, e.g. the ones that are going to cause enough pain and suffering getting through them that people lose interest in trying to rob you.

nugghead

Just pulled a couple of males and noticed that my Kentucky Wonder pole beans had used one of my fems to climb up. The stalk of that plant is pretty much dripping with green beans in all stages of ripeness. Color match isn't bad either.

I feel like if I came upon a large bush with beans dripping off it in a vegetable patch, and I wasn't actively looking for C. sativa, I might just think "hmm, big bean plant" and ignore it. Might try doing this on purpose in future.

Gano

here is used a 2 step pattern. first a large stand of something or a permitted of something nasty is used, like bramble. somethign people wont want to walk into, thorns are great. But it must be solid to stop visibility to inside the perimeter where plants are. Also little tunnels underneath are easily thought of as animal trails. That takes care of people on foot, then need somethign form air. good match wit those new temperature guns they have i think good. but here use things like castor bean or manioc because this will look similar leaf from above. but castor is very fat webbed leaf unlike cannabis.

Planting in wet area (swampy/marsh) is good as can build up good soil and let roots go down for moisture, means only 3-5 trips from transplant to harvest which is good in risky areas.