What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Plants Hide MJ Best?

bobblehead

Veteran
attachment.php

raspberry bushes. Watch your skin.

C

Col.Dijon

I've used bamboo for years and it's worked great.

You just have to use the same spot over and over but for some of us that is the best part.

CFP65

is there any of you that have experienced a lower frequency of bud-rot, graymold and fusarium wilt in your plants where fx they are planted next to Bamboo or any other plants?
i cant get away from the idea that if the nabouring plants are taking all the exess water from the soil there would be less mold in the tops.

C

Col.Dijon

I think mold is mainly an issue of humidity and temperature.

The bamboo couldn't hurt though.

TexasToker

A lot of people saying bamboo, what kind of bamboo? There are hundreds of different species. I am starting to plan some landscaping around hte house (mainly along my back fence) and was looking at Fishpole Bamboo (Phyllostachys aurea)

phyllostachys-aurea.jpg

or maybe GREEN HEDGE BAMBOO (S. fastuosa viridis)
gf.jpg

or Arrow Bamboo[?] (Pseudosasa japonica)
Pseudosasa_japonica6.jpg
450px-Pseudosasa_japonica6.jpg

My only concern would be that bamboo grows and spreads like crazy so should it be kept in pots or placed in the soil? Anyone that has bamboo around their place(either for camo or ornamental reason) have any tips or regrets to share about this plant?

I've read about people basically trenching out an area where the bamboo will be and lining it with some kind of plastic sheet or poly-thing that the roots can not penetrate. Then replacing the soil in the trench and planting the bamboo in that. Basically like a giant buried planter box.

I think the first or second species you showed would work great!

PhenotypeX

If you have a really big lawn just dont cut your grass in one area. The grass will grow into brush which will easily hide your plants

localhero

about the bamboo. With clumping types you wont need to dig out a barrier, but the best and biggest bamboo besides like the moso are usually runners and faster growers. I love bamboo but i got black mold on some plants from using the dead culms i was pulling out of the patch along my fence line. thought i was bein smart by getting all these free plant stakes... so be carefull with dead old bamboo sticks. however, bamboo poles come in really handy for tons of other shit- like scafolding for a makeshift greenhouse when the rains hit late. there is a way to cure green cut bamboo over like a charcoal grill, the sap that comes out acts as like a sealer. If you have a choice id get somethings thats super fast growing,dense growing, thick culmed, and as dark green as you can get.

also, i dont know if a plastic lined trench would keep the rhizomes of the bamboo in check. alot of plastic degrades underground and those roots are pretty knarly. i know alot of people pour concrete into a thin ditch to keep them from getting through.

sometimes planting bamboo will really piss off your neighbors. my neighbor told me how upset he was when the previous owner planted the bamboo we have now. they all think that its gonna spread into their property and take over. best privacy screen ever though, you'd have to get really really snoopy to wanna peek into my yard :D

Pride of Madeira, Echium candicans, looks and flowers a lot like pot does and grows everywhere in my area. so much so that no one even thinks of looking at them. very common garden plant that grows year round (perennial) the flowers come in lots of different colors like blues, purples and pinks, but the white type really does take the look-alike contest with our favorite plant. best of all this plant wont die back providing year round cover

KolorBlind

NEVER USE POISON SUMAC!!!!

NEVER USE POISON SUMAC!!!!

Hey everyone

I just wanted to stress the importance of NEVER purposely planting poison sumac ANYWHERE, especially not near anything you will eat or smoke.

3 kids in my hometown got bored when I was growing up and picked, dried and smoked some poison sumac. They had no idea what it was when they picked it, but it made 2 of them very, very sick and killed the other.

I just saw it mentioned earlier in the thread and thought I would toss that out there.

I love this thread and feel I should add my 2 cents as well.

I have seen MJ very successfully grown in a backyard garden amongst half a dozen or more tomato plants. If your garden is near a fence, you can use a plant or veggie that has vines (such as cucumber) and tie it up the fence. After doing so, when you are veiwing your garden from the side opposite the fence, the green backdrop of the vine plant will hide a LOT! Also, catnip leaves look very similar to MJ leaves only they dont get as big or have 3-5-7-9 tips. I bet some heavily LSTed bushes would blend perfectly in with catnip, plus catnip is a bit funky itself.

I plan on tossing some Diesel Ryders out in my garden this year after keeping them in 16oz cups for about 3 weeks. That way I dont have to plant any males and the cups should stunt them enough to keep them all around a foot tall or less.

Again, great thread! Ill toss pictures up as soon as I am able to.
KB

ibuster57

Evergreens. In my area of the country most ground vegetation turns brown and dies out before its harvest time. Leaving green cannabis plants to stick out like a black eye. So they are most vulnerable when they are packing weight. I am still growing from Mexican and Colombian seed from the 70s and average 8' tall so cedar stands work well for me.