What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Plants Hide MJ Best?

Use what's there ...

Use what's there ...

I go for thick tall bushes.

Cut a small tunnel into the bushes and clear an area, dig your holes, bring in dirt, and go from there.. Cut another tunnel and do the same.

I am actually planting along a freeway this year.
The bushes are about 60' wide and 50 yards long on a very steep hill..
They actually have two irrigation lines running through them as well...
Being along a freeway eliminates kids but also brings into play Cal trans.. This thought came to me when I was court ordered to work cal trans and we worked right around this thick patch of bushes with no one even thinking twice to enter.

Congratulations on the stealth approach.

If possible, cut out a "back door", so you "exit gracefully" if necessary.

Leather gloves and foam knee-pads are, no doubt, required.

Often, those areas are very hard packed to prevent erosion.

It might not be easy to dig a decent hole, or clear a small spot.

Are the bushes high enough to stand without being seen?

Cutting up the original foliage when clearing a spot is another issue.

Garden clippers or folding saw?

That stuff can be tough. That's why it was planted there in the first place.

If the earth won't yield easily, try using a portable drill with an 18 in. garden auger bit. After eight holes are drilled, the shovel will have an easy time. Use an 18 V. drill with 2 Lithium batteries, and be careful that the torque doesn't nail your wrist when the auger gets stuck. ( Reverse gear is handy. )

Bottom line for an outdoor grow: use whatever cover is there already. If the surrounding vegetation doesn't get over 3 ft. tall, keep the plants low and bushy or just tie them down. If there are stands of giant ragweed, let it work for you by letting the plants grow tall and thin, which lowers yield, but will disguise it better. Foreign foliage stands out like a sore thumb, which is another reason not to waste energy trying to plant "cover" crops. It's hard enough getting nutrition and moisture to the weed, isn't it?

andyboy

A good thing if you have it around is Giant Hogweed. It will not only disguise but it will severly hurt anyone without protective clothing. It causes burns on the skin and may cause blindness.

It grows up to 7 meters tall but mostly it stays around 2-5 meters.

However, it is illegal to grow it (so is MJ) but who cares, it WILL however cause unwanted attention if you cultivate it where people go by much and it will be taken down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Hogweed

C

coxswain

I swear I had to come to a meter of this plant just to make sure it wasn't MJ. Anybody familiar with this type of plant?

picture.php

picture.php

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
i'd want the companion plants to make my plants invisible from a distance...not call attention themselves
"Well looky here ...this looks like weed....but it isn't... i thought it was when i saw it 50ft from here...hey....but THAT IS weed...." and then your plants are gone...only the companion is left

C

coxswain

i'd want the companion plants to make my plants invisible from a distance...not call attention themselves
"Well looky here ...this looks like weed....but it isn't... i thought it was when i saw it 50ft from here...hey....but THAT IS weed...." and then your plants are gone...only the companion is left

:laughing: You absolutely have a point here Gantz. What was I thinking. :)

PurpleUnikorn

:joint:in my experience is seems most people will not notice mj if it is just not blatently in a designated "mj plot" jus keep em by them selves and dont have any special bottles of fert of gardening tools by them and they should be less noticable as a plant your supposed to look at... if that makes any sense i salute you. im high and thats about as good as i can do. just dont give em to much special attention around foks!!!:2cents:

WaTerR

so everyones saying that bamboo is a good one and it may be but bamboo can easily take over any spot you put it in

. . also i heard hopps(stuff in beer) are by far the best plants to grow mj with because they are in the same family

I found a strip of land that runs parallel with a major HIGHWAY. There is the highway on one side, then tall shrubs and pricker patches on the other side.. In the middle is a strip of golden rod. I pulled a stretch of golden rod and tilled up a strip of soil, for my later seed plants. Is golden rod a good plant to plant near? The top soil is pretty nice and the area is a little lower, so the moisture is there.. I know the golden rod will turn yellow and dry out in the fall, but my plants are planted along the edge of the shrubs and will border the golden rod. They will be minis, so they wont stand out too much. Any thoughts would be appreciated:2cents:

GFam

SmokeyGriff

I found a strip of land that runs parallel with a major HIGHWAY.

How close to the highway is it? I'd be worried about a county worker out spraying and killing the plants, or cutting the right of way and see your grow.

H

Hal

Regarding the planting of marijuana look-alikes to camoflage the outdoor garden, and the potential of the look-alike plant actually drawing attention because it IS so close in its marijuana look....

This problem occurred to me in the beginning of this thread, and then I got what I think might be a good plan. The look-alike plants that you choose to camo your garden with could/should also be planted in the area that most people would be approaching your plot from. Most of the areas where people go in the outdoors utilize trails to hike around on. So, the trail that comes closest to your grow area should also be planted up, fairly densely, so any roving eyes pay attention to the closest plants. Even if they see the same plants off in the distance, they have already had their curiousity filled by the nearby plants.

I

inthelight

nestle a little hole in a black berry patch just the right size it would be like where's waldo.

jwm

Veteran
All great ideas along w/ some plants that no doubt would do an excellent job of 'hiding' a few cannabis....May be next year I'll give it a go...This year I planted a couple small, rather puny actually, cannibis along my fence in the back yard, didn't really expect much. Well, I wasn't surprised that they stayed rather small and puny....Until the season started to shorten, DAY-UM.....!!! I've always loved most, the vigor and growth that accompanies maturation but I wasn't prepared this time....As I said, I really didn't expect much...I now have two 4' limish green cannabis back dropped by a brown wood fence....oops...Oh well, what ya gonna do...Did i mention that I have at least 2 neighbors that have a clear view of them, if they happen to look that way, which no doubt they have already....When I'm high, which is not frequently, I think maybe I should give them a yank....Then I come to my senses, hell no! I have nothing happening inside right now and if they want to call the police, so be it....This whole non-sense over a plant or two is just ridiculous....I'm taking my chances.....Oh yeah, they both turned out to be ladies!!!! strain is Mr Nice Critical Mass.....Should be interesting.

D

dillhole

Pitch pine...

Pitch pine...

My dad used to grow IN a pine tree. When I was little I had a nice pine tree to climb on. I rigged up a pulley at the top and used a rope to pull up my bucket of toys. Years later, after I had outgrown treeclimbing, my dad used my setup to raise his mj plants to the top of the tree. He had pretty good success except for loosing a few plants to storms.

No one on the ground would ever look up for a mj plant. Probably would look suspicious to a helicopter but I don't think they search densely packed neighborhoods very often.

DH

I added some 46-0-0 Urea to the surrounding veg sometime early june this year, already noticing the effects. If the vegetation in the area is lacking, this is a very useful thing to apply. It helps with the surrounding area definitely!

Herbasaurus

ICMag Donor
Great thread.

However, a thought on Eucalyptus. I have been told that Eucalyptus leaves, when they fall and are exposed to water create a toxin that kills many other plants.

Similarly the soil around pine trees becomes very acidic.

I'm not an expert, just passing along what I have been told fwiw.

PS

#1 Cheesebuds - what is the name of that plant in the pic?