What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what is your LONG dayhike pack consist of?

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I meant for the title to say, What Does your long dayhike pack consist of? ssh is good, I typoed

-I have a plasctic poncho
-plus actuall rain gear
-lockblade pocket knife
-swiss army knife or gerber tool.
-32 oz water bottle. 2 if it is windy or hot, or if there is not a refil on the way
-carbon water filter.
-If it is where there is rattle snakes I take a trail gun with snake shot. but it is only 2 pounds fully loaded.
-beef jerky, and mixed nuts.
-20 oz bottle of gatorade.
-extra socks
-fleece
-beenie, or ball cap if it is summer
-headlamp
-bee sting/ snake bite kit

My mini emergency kit in a water proof tube has. matches, lighter, first aid kit (it has all kinds of bandages and medicine, and creams), emergency blanket, small knife, fishing line and hook, water purification tablets, and some small peices of shredded rubber, and some dryer lint. mini maglight

I put it all in an osprey pack, and it ways about 20 pounds including the pack. It is designed for high altitude mountains. If you get stuck from a storm on a long day hike this pack will prevent you from getting hypothermia even if you have to spend the night out doors. If you get lost, you can survive pretty well with this stuff. It really isnt much to carry. hiking poles help alot too.

It is not uncommon for this to happen to pepole at all. Summer storms come in fast, They can bring snow and intense hail, and many people are unprepared and get hypothermia and die.

let me know if you have any questions about why I carry certain stuff.

spyvsspy

Seems like you have a pretty well rounded daypack going, however to that I would add:
-AT LEAST two extra sets of batteries for your headlamp and mini maglite, in a waterproof container
-Whistle or airhorn of some sorts (both for helping in the event of a rescue or scaring off potential predators)
-COMPASS and a map
-I always carry a small signal mirror, about 3 inches by 3 inches, if you need to be rescued, you can reflect the sun off this and it can be seen up to 10 miles away in the right conditions
-I have a magnesium and flint firestarter. I got it for 2 dollars and it can start a white hot fire in a driving rainstorm
-A small bottle of Purell or similar hand sanitizer.

I like the Osprey packs, I have a Kelty and I am planning on getting an Osprey soon.
I know there is something that I am probably forgetting.......

What kind of Trail Gun do you carry? When I'm going on extended trips in the Rocky Mountain backcountry I carry a Taurus Judge revolver- it chambers .410 shotgun shells and 45 Long Colt. In a survival situation I could take out birds or small game with the shotshells, or larger game with the 45 long colt. It holds 5 rounds, I keep the first 2 filled with birdshot, the next one with OO buckshot, and the next 2 with 45 longcolt. I figure if no matter what I come across, bear, mountain lion, rattlesnake, etc.- there will be something loaded in there that will at least make the predator think twice before tearing my face off, its a good all around survival gun IMO. I would definitely do anything possible to avoid unnecessarily discharging a round at an animal, but I always say its better to have a gun and not need it, then to need it and not have one....

lordbudly

Veteran
Well.. I dont generally go out hiking unless society angers me, in which case i pack my nine and a shovel.. (come to think of it, maybe some beaners, why let all that fertilizer go to waste?:yoinks:)

spyvsspy

Good call lordbudly!! Almost forgot about packing a handful of beans to spread as I go. Might as well spread some green goodness while you're off the beaten path

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seems like you have a pretty well rounded daypack going, however to that I would add:
-AT LEAST two extra sets of batteries for your headlamp and mini maglite, in a waterproof container
-Whistle or airhorn of some sorts (both for helping in the event of a rescue or scaring off potential predators)
-COMPASS and a map
-I always carry a small signal mirror, about 3 inches by 3 inches, if you need to be rescued, you can reflect the sun off this and it can be seen up to 10 miles away in the right conditions
-I have a magnesium and flint firestarter. I got it for 2 dollars and it can start a white hot fire in a driving rainstorm
-A small bottle of Purell or similar hand sanitizer.

I like the Osprey packs, I have a Kelty and I am planning on getting an Osprey soon.
I know there is something that I am probably forgetting.......

What kind of Trail Gun do you carry? When I'm going on extended trips in the Rocky Mountain backcountry I carry a Taurus Judge revolver- it chambers .410 shotgun shells and 45 Long Colt. In a survival situation I could take out birds or small game with the shotshells, or larger game with the 45 long colt. It holds 5 rounds, I keep the first 2 filled with birdshot, the next one with OO buckshot, and the next 2 with 45 longcolt. I figure if no matter what I come across, bear, mountain lion, rattlesnake, etc.- there will be something loaded in there that will at least make the predator think twice before tearing my face off, its a good all around survival gun IMO. I would definitely do anything possible to avoid unnecessarily discharging a round at an animal, but I always say its better to have a gun and not need it, then to need it and not have one....

I actually do have some extra batteries, and a compass with mirror, and map. Infact they never leave my bag, so I forgot to mention them. good call spy.

I carry a titanium framed .38 special, with snake shot, or hollow points. I put .357 mag rounds in it though. It is a very versitile gun

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Well, if you include what I am wearing in the pack list-

What I wear-
Jeans or nylon shorts(depending on weather)
Breathable T-shirt(sweat wicking)
Breathable briefs
Cloth boonie hat or wool beanie
Wool boot socks
Heavy hunting boots or lightweight hiking boots(depends on the terrain)
.357 Mag revolver loaded with heaviest loads available(for animal protection)
Camera, GPS, pocket knife, pipe, bud, and lighters in ziplock in fanny pack

Pack list-(in a Gregory G pack)
Break down fishing rod/reel(if fishing), Small assortment of lures
Light jacket(if needed)
Smoked salmon, candy, crackers or chips
Small plastic bottle of wine(usually Shiraz, Pinot Noir, or Cab as a last choice)
1-3 Quarts/liters of water(depends on weather)
Map of area(if needed)

Thats usually about it, I usually only do day hikes into fishing lakes, and usually when I hike I do ultra-lite overnight or 2 night stays or longer.

ringsofsmoke

I only really hike when I fish, and around here in small town/rural Ontario that's mostly small streams and rivers that I bike to, 10-45minute bike ride.

For that I usually just have my Da Kine backpack and most of the stuff I bring is fishing related.

Couple rods and reels using the snowboard carry strap, Usually my 7' medium action and 6'6" ultralight spinning rods.
Several small tackle boxes with an assortment of different lures, lines and other fishing gear.
Rapala Needlenose pliers, Swiss Army Knife, a bicycle multitool and some scissors.
A small aquarium net for catching bait and just looking at stream life.
A 2-3+ bottles of water 600ml-1000ml, I can carry two on my bike, and several in my bag.
A couple ziplocs full of munchies, whatever I have in the house at the time.
my insulin pen, and extra needles
My Maglite (takes three D cells) and a smaller AAA penlite.
An extra pair of socks.
Sweatshirt/Jacket depending on weather.
My Canon Powershot G5 for pictures, in a ziploc bag.
My digital watch.
A couple lighters and a waterproof match container with some matches.
waterproof match container for prerolled joints and/or a baggie/jar of buds.
rolling papers.
my pipe, or sometimes a glass bowl and slide so I can turn one of the empty water bottles into a bong stream side!
my wallet/fishing license, and I usually carry about $10-20 in change and bills in my backpack.
and sometimes I will bring my neoprene chest waders, so you can imagine how stuffed and heavy this backpack can be while biking to my spots.
my merrell hiking boots also come along for the ride attached to my feet.

I'm probably missing a few things, but that's all I can think of right now.
/me packs a bowl
Have a good one!

X

xinsanewickedx

my would be my fishing poles small tackle box,a flesh light with extra batteries ,a few jugs of water,snake bite kit,hat of some sort,lighters,pipe with smoke,bed roll,small axe and knife,a jacket of some sort,and extra socks and rope

All of the above 'cept firearms...don't have a license. I do carry Bear strength Pepper Spray and a small bell at my waist band. Cell' is mandatory as well ...oh yeah I don't go anywhere without a spare lighter in my stash pouch

X

xinsanewickedx

yeah those are always the first things to get packed my cell and a four pac of bics.i have no firearms but i do have lots of swords and knifes.

X

xinsanewickedx

well you are right on most swords but i do have a few that would work.i also have a small battle axe that would work ,it is pretty light.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well you are right on most swords but i do have a few that would work.i also have a small battle axe that would work ,it is pretty light.

an axe is a very helpful and practical tool indeed. I carry a hatchet in my over night pack always

X

xinsanewickedx

yeah a axe does come in handy.3 of my buddies and i went camping for the weekend a few years back and we were all loaded out of our mind,we were like lets make this a eat what you catch weekend and we got 2 fish the whole trip and forgot the axe so yeah i know now to make sure you have anything that you think you may need.i wont make the mistake of going and not taking nothing with you

L

LolaGal

I carry a pocket knife and a rolling kit. That's it...

Do you wanna hear what the mule packs? LOL